Tomato 4DPS 2.1 Hanging

Topic actions

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have a Zida Tomator Board 4DPS ver. 2.1 board which I was hoping to use for a custom hobby build. I tested the board while it was on a piece of cardboard, I successfully set the jumpers to recognize my 486DX2-66 CPU, and was able to use a CF adapter to transfer files. Everything seemed to work great.

I set the board on the back of a shelf to keep it safe (on the cardboard.) It sat there for a couple of weeks. Today, I placed it into a case and tried booting it up, and it now hangs at the "Awards Software, Inc. System Configurations" screen (where it shows cpu type, ram, drives, ports, etc.) It hands with a cursor blinking beneath the e in the word none by the Parallel Port(s) section.

I have just the ram, keyboard, and video card installed, and tried clearing the CMOS. It worked fine, and now this. Any ideas? I tried different PSUs. The only thing different was placing it inside a case, but it boots up until the Systems Configuration screen, so there isn't a short.

I am having bad luck, as my ALR Evolution X board mysteriously died, so I sought this board, and now this...

-Scythifuge

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but it also detects my CPU as a P24D-S, which I think correlates to an Intel 486DX2. I though it actually detected a 486DX2 before, but I could be mistaken.

Reply 2 of 34, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First thing I'd do would be to remove it from the case and try it again on the cardboard.
My 4DPS is very sensitive to being moved, the RAM simms are not very well secured, so check that as well. Also recheck the jumpers again just to be sure, perhaps someone else with idle hands moved one or more or them? I can confirm my 4DPS does ID as DX/2 as that and not as a P24D-S, so something is amiss there.

Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for your reply. With External Cache disabled, I am able to get to the DISK BOOT FAILURE notification, so I am going to connect my drives and test further. I didn't have to disable external cache prior, so I am wondering if my CPU is now having issues.

Reply 5 of 34, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reseat your cpu and your ram, if that doesn't help try another cpu.
Some 486 boards reseating the bios rom helps great too, a little bit of corrosion sometime builds up on the legs which gets scraped off while reseating.

Reply 6 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will try that tomorrow. However, I am thinking I am either cursed or this board is having issues. Regardless of the floppy drive I am using, this board will not recognize or boot from a Win98 boot disk, or gives me an I/O error. When I try to boot from an MS-DOS 6.22 setup disk (two different disks during testing,) it hangs at "Starting MS-DOS." I have even tried a USB Floppy emulator. The Compact Flash has system files on it and will not boot, though the bios recognizes them as SanDisks hard drives.

Reply 7 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure what is going on with this board. It will not boot from floppies, or the CF-IDE adapter. If I use a floppy emulator with a dos boot disk, or an actual floppy drive with a dos boot disk, I get "Starting MS-DOS," but it just hangs there; the system isn't locked up as I can hit capslock on and off and ctrl-alt-del to reboot. I am still getting the I/O error with a Win98 SE boot disk. If I try booting from the CF-IDE, I get "Invalid system disk Replace the disk, and then press any key.". Nothing seems to work.

Reply 8 of 34, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This crap sadly happens too often to 386/486 boards that have seen some use especially when they have sat for weeks/months/even years without being powered up and it really sucks because usually something ends up being replaced. Reseat and check everything then try again, if all fails power the board up and let it sit for a while then power cycle it once or twice. Caps can do strange things too :s

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I grabbed another RAM module and a couple 486 CPUs to test when I reset everything. I know that the CF-IDE is good, as it boots up in another machine. Do these boards have any issues with FAT32 drives? I have MS-DOS 7.10 on there, and the CF is formatted with FAT32. Though it is still strange to be having both floppy and IDE issues. The only other option after reseating everything is to get my hands on a PCI IDE controller card (which I currently do not have,) and seeing if that allows me to put this thing up.

Reply 10 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I swapped out the 486DX2 with another one. During boot, the board recognizes the CPU as 80486DX2-S at 66Mhz, rather than a P24D-S. It also successfully boots to my multi-config.sys, so I am diagnosing the problem as a CPU issue with the original CPU. Now to put a fan on the replacement CPU, test the floppy, and install my cards and hope for the best.

Reply 11 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course, I have run into more issues. CTMouse doesn't detect the mouse (I have a ps2 bracket adapter connected to the mouse port on the motherboard.) Also, when I connect a cdrom to the secondary IDE port, it cancels out the Primary port. Argh...

Reply 12 of 34, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might help if You could post some decent photos of Your board, etc. What brand dx2-66 are You using?
I have no idea what your skillset is but a common error is to connect the floppy drive cable backwards on the drive, it should be opposite to cdrom/hdd.

If the mouse adaptor is a simple Serial to ps/2 adaptor it likely won't work, get a proper serial mouse if you can.

http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/manuals/486pci/tomato.zip

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 13 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I build computers of various sorts. I have three retro hobby computers I have been working on. The last 486 was perfect until the board died; it had PCI slots and PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse. Some of this is new, such as the CF-IDE adapter, etc.

I uploaded a pic of the mouse connector. I was limited to what I could upload. Maybe it is wired differently than the five pin layout on the 4dps. I solved the 2nd IDE port issue and have a slot load drive running on it, and i solved the floppy issue. They were related to the faulty CPU, which now has a replacement Intel 486DX2 - 66 installed. The only remaining issue seems to be the mouse connector not being seen by the driver, though it does power the optical mouse when connected.

Attachments

• 0823162325.jpg
    Filename
    0823162325.jpg
    File size
    4.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In addition to the mouse connector issue, I tried to flash the bios to 1.72. I followed the instructions, but I get an "erase chip fail" error and the bios will not flash. It is currently version 1.5. I cannot believe the string of issues i am having. All have been fixed except for the mouse and now the bios.

Reply 15 of 34, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The bios chip is probably a non eraseable 27c1024. If it has a window underneath the sticker then it's eraseable via a UV light box.
You may have to get a proper eeprom of the correct size, likely like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1PCS-Flash-Memory- … xUAAOSwo6lWKkF-

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 16 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you much, for your reply. I will look into the bios chip issue. Do you have any information on the mouse issue? I am still thinking that my connector's wire layout differs from the mouse pin layout. I have the one 5 pin, single row connector, and a 2-row connector which will not fit, but has a different wire scheme, so I think that it isnt standard, and net searches are not providing much inn the way of PS2 connectivity on this particular board. I have a ps2/serial adapter here somewhere, and a usb-to-serial adapter, but I am reading that the power carried by the serial ports may not support an optical mouse, so I am searching for an answer to that issue, whether a proper motherboard connector, or some kind of dos-friendly PCI PS2 card.

Reply 17 of 34, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not have Your motherboard, so cannot really help much as far as the ps/s pinout is concerned.
If You have a multimeter then you could easily figure out what pins are ground and +5v then the rest couldn't be too much mucking about to figure out.
Other than that hopefully someone else here can help that has that motherboard.

Reply 18 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am going to mess with pins and wires soon. First, I am going to test with another mouse or two. This optical mouse lights up when I use the PS2 port, though without being detected by CTMOUSE. I just connected it to the COM1 serial port with an adapter. The mouse remains unlit until CTMOUSE loads, and then it lights up, but still has no movement. Mouse was tested to be working on an Athlon XP system.

Reply 19 of 34, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No mice work with 2 different ps/2 to serial adapters. A serial track ball works. On my ps2 connector, I swapped the yellow and blue wires, and CTMOUSE still doesn't see a ps2 mouse.