VOGONS

Amstrad 1512 - CGA(ish?) to VGA

Topic actions

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

An Amstrad 1512 was one of my first ever PCs that I unfortunately don't have any more but I've gone and picked one up cheap, sans monitor.

The monitor has the power supply for the machine inside it - so I need to find an alternative way to power the machine. That shouldn't be a problem once I can find a cheap enough 14 pin DIN connector that the PC expects and wire up an AT PSU to it.

It's an XT class machine - can something like this be powered using one of those cool tiny pico-psus? Is there something small and simple I can get to convert a +5v to -5v? I could just get one of those ATX -> AT converters with the -5 from ebay I guess..

The thing I'm mainly not sure on is the CGA output from the machine. Ideally I want to run this on a modernish VGA monitor (be it my 1997 Gateway 2000 CRT or a modern LCD). The machine outputs CGA, but has composite sync? (the V+H are contained on one wire/pin) - unfortunately it's not possible to replace the main output with an expansion card. Apparently these will only act like a secondary monitor (the inbuilt CGA cannot be disabled)

Does anyone know if one of these fairly prevalent converters would do the trick? - https://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Video-Converter … t/dp/B005G8KSP8

These things are everywhere, commonly used to connect old Arcade game PCBs up to VGA monitors. Will this work and ensure everything is working at the correct frequency?

Here's a spec document - down the bottom of the page has the information on the power and video connector pins.
http://www.seasip.info/AmstradXT/1512tech/section1.html

Reply 1 of 53, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't believe the arcade CGA converters work with digital CGA output from an old PC.

Based on the power documents, the PicoPSUs might not satisfy the peak/max 5v rating.

tn3AuJB.png

The Amstrad machine has "maximum rating" of 7 amps on 5v.

Reply 2 of 53, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the atx to at converters DONT give you -5v. they just change the pinout.

athena power at psu are cheap in usa. I see your in Ireland. amazon uk says 50 quid which is insane.

the gbs boards (which you linked) are good most of the time for converting 15khz cga to 31khz vga.

not 100% of the time, and at one point they changed the memory speed on the gbs board and made some mode timings break etc.

so the GBS boards are hit or miss, but usually ok.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 53, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guy 😀 The Pico would have been nice but it's no deal breaker.

There are adapters with -5, our very own Phil did a review video on them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXmxdiNWIs

They have something inline to do the + to - conversion. Does anyone know what that component is?

Do you have any more information on which would be the "best" board for what I need, if that's something you can answer? the most compatible? (were the memory timings etc changes completely for the worse?)

Reply 5 of 53, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might not actually need -5V at all, if you don't have any expansion cards which need it. It's usually needed for old 4116 DRAM chips, but the PC1512 board uses 4164s which are single-supply. Likewise with -12V - it's normally only needed for (some?) RS232 cards. I'm not 100% sure about the PC1512, but I'm running an IBM 5160 from one of these: http://www.streacom.com/products/zf240-fanles … w-zeroflex-psu/ which doesn't provide -5V or -12V and it's fine.

Reply 6 of 53, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are boards that can convert the digital RGBI output from a CGA (or Amstrad PC1512) to the analogue RGB that the arcade converter board needs as input - see http://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/219/cgargbi- … e-commodore-128 for example (although I think Trixter said that some of the colours on that one might be a bit off?). There are also some links on http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?374 … -a-Project-Idea which might be useful.

Reply 7 of 53, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some older machines generated their -5v line on their motherboards themself by using a 7905 (warning: pinout differs from 7805).

I think CGA (RGB) can also be displayed on SCART equipped television sets. I once saw a schematic for this, I think.
It wasn't a simple cable but it involved several electronic components on a breadboard..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 53, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Some older machines generated their -5v line on their motherboards themself by using a 7905 (warning: pinout differs from 7805).

The Amstrad PC1512 isn't one of them, though - there's a -5V line on the power connector.

Jo22 wrote:

I think CGA (RGB) can also be displayed on SCART equipped television sets. I once saw a schematic for this, I think.
It wasn't a simple cable but it involved several electronic components on a breadboard..

Yep. It's not too difficult - in fact it's the same circuit as needed to convert CGA RGBI to analogue RGB CGA for the arcade converter board (SCART is analogue RGB with ~15kHz line rate). However, the SCART method will only work on a TV which can accept a 60Hz signal (older SCART-equipped TVs might only work at 50Hz).

Reply 9 of 53, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks reenigne 😀

So the -5v thing is exactly the same as on more "modern" PCs... just for certain expansion cards? That's great! 😀 My knowledge of XT style machines isn't great so I thought it might have been used for something more important.

I think I have a CRT TV that can do 60hz so I might try it that way first, just to make sure everything is working OK, and then move on to getting an LCD/CRT monitor hooked up at some later stage.

Thanks for the help guys 😀

Reply 10 of 53, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the power connector:

I have the 14 pin power connector I need to use and was planning to wire this up to a spare 20pin ATX Psu I have, by hacking up a 24 to 20 pin ATX adapter.

The 14 pin connector's pins are REALLY small, and solder cup-less.. Would I be ok soldering some 22 AWG wire to the pins on the connector, running these for a few inches and then soldering the 22AWG to the wire on the 24->20 adapter?

Trying to solder the 24->20 wire directly to the 14pin would be really tricky.

The highest amps seems to be 7amps on the 5v rail but this is two wires combined inside the machine itself, so should be OK right?

Reply 11 of 53, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a Schneider branded Amstrad 1512 in trade today and fooled around with it for a bit. It's snappier then I'd imagined an XT would be. Unfortunately mine came with a monochrome monitor...

iuVUtKBh.jpg

I'd really like to use this with a VGA monitor - hooking up a VGA card to it is pretty easy (if you chop off some of the EMI shielding around the ISA slots) - problem is it will still post to the CGA card. Is there a way to disable the CGA card?

Reply 12 of 53, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
I got a Schneider branded Amstrad 1512 in trade today and fooled around with it for a bit. It's snappier then I'd imagined an XT […]
Show full quote

I got a Schneider branded Amstrad 1512 in trade today and fooled around with it for a bit. It's snappier then I'd imagined an XT would be. Unfortunately mine came with a monochrome monitor...

iuVUtKBh.jpg

I'd really like to use this with a VGA monitor - hooking up a VGA card to it is pretty easy (if you chop off some of the EMI shielding around the ISA slots) - problem is it will still post to the CGA card. Is there a way to disable the CGA card?

Err, is CGA built-in? Maybe there's a jumper or a dip-switch to disable it?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 13 of 53, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

I got a Schneider branded Amstrad 1512 in trade today and fooled around with it for a bit.

Congratulations! Looks like it is in good shape! 😀

kanecvr wrote:

It's snappier then I'd imagined an XT would be. Unfortunately mine came with a monochrome monitor...

Because it is. It does contain an 8086 processor with 16Bit data bus.

Bye the way, did it come with the floppies, too ? If it did, do you have any use for the utilities from the 5th diskette ?
I have them. In case you're interested, just say so. They do conatin some fixed-disk utilities for DOS and DOS Plus..

kanecvr wrote:

IMHO, the enhanced CGA card is the one that makes it special. The GEM version uses this for a 640x200 mode. Some games use that CGA, too.
And I once read that the internal CGA does scan-doubling, making normal CGA games to appear less striped.
If you plug in an VGA card, it becomes just an ordinary XT clone. Besides, the power supply is in the monitor. So you have to built another PSU yourself.

Edit: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=183

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 53, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a 1512 party in here lately 😁

From what I've read, it isn't possible to disable the CGA - a second card will always function as a secondary output (like dual screen?)

I'd say investigate though! I'm also going to try rig something up to convert CGA to VGA as my machine didn't come with a monitor.

Reply 15 of 53, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Bye the way, did it come with the floppies, too ? If it did, do you have any use for the utilities from the 5th diskette ?
I have them. In case you're interested, just say so. They do conatin some fixed-disk utilities for DOS and DOS Plus..

It didn't come with any floppies unfortunately... I could use the setup disk for the machine if you happen to have an image of it and are willing to share.

Jo22 wrote:

IMHO, the enhanced CGA card is the one that makes it special. The GEM version uses this for a 640x200 mode. Some games use that CGA, too.
And I once read that the internal CGA does scan-doubling, making normal CGA games to appear less striped.
If you plug in an VGA card, it becomes just an ordinary XT clone. Besides, the power supply is in the monitor. So you have to built another PSU yourself.

I noticed the PSU is in the monitor, but a previous owner added a kill switch for the monitor itself witch allows operation of the PC only - handy. It makes me thing a previous owner had a color monitor compatible with the machine or added another video card.

Normally I'd have nothing against using CGA, but my machine came with a Monochrome monitor, and I'd really like to play games in color on it - whether it's CGA, EGA or VGA (preferably the latter two).

If I had a working compatible color monitor I'd use that and be done with it.

sirlemonhead wrote:

It's a 1512 party in here lately 😁

From what I've read, it isn't possible to disable the CGA - a second card will always function as a secondary output (like dual screen?)

I'd say investigate though! I'm also going to try rig something up to convert CGA to VGA as my machine didn't come with a monitor.

The problem is the second card would run in Monochrome mode... thus my problem remains...

Reply 16 of 53, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirlemonhead wrote:

From what I've read, it isn't possible to disable the CGA

My understanding is that it's possible, but doing it involves cutting some tracks on the board.

Reply 17 of 53, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

I don't think it does any scan-doubling - the timings are just the standard CGA ones from what I understand. Do you remember where you read that? I may check tomorrow, since I was thinking of getting mine out anyway to check something else.

Reply 19 of 53, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

It didn't come with any floppies unfortunately... I could use the setup disk for the machine if you happen to have an image of it and are willing to share.

Sorry, I can't provide you with the images of the originals, but I can give you a list of the install media.
The only image I could make available is the 5th one (dark purple), as it is merely a driver/utility diskette without commercial stuff.
Anyway, that one is the rarest of them, I think - It took me several years (!) to get hold on a copy of such a disk..
Perhaps it was probably only given to Amstrad users who bought an PC with such a HDD installed.

-= Disks =-
DISC1, MS-DOS 3.2 (red)
DISC2, GEM (blue)
DISC3, GEM DESKTOP and GEM BASIC (green)
DISC4, DOS Plus and GEM-PAINT (yellow)
DISC5, Fixed-Disk installation and service diskette (purple)

Except for the utilities and the GEM graphics driver, there's little that can't be replaced by generic versions.
Vanilla MS-/PC-DOS 3.x should run fine on the PC1512, too.

But back to the 5th floppy.. This floppy has got several useful files for DOS Plus v1.2 on it.
Like HDFORMAT.COM (fixed disk format utility), FIXLDR.COM (writes DOSPlus boot sector, also for dual-boot with DOS ?),
PARK.COM (HDD parking program from Amstrad), SYS2DIR.EXE (writes DOSPlus boot sector) and NVRPAT2.COM (unkwown purpose).

Other programs are BACKUP.EXE, RESTORE.EXE, SDIR.CMD (Super DIR ?) and BACKUP.CMD (Backup/Restore).
The COM files do also work on normal MS-DOS. Only the CMD files are a DOS Plus exclusive
('cause it really is CP/M with a DOS emulator).

Oh, and there's something more important! Some of these programs (FIXLDR ?) do only work when they find PC-DOS (!)
system files, like IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM! So it's good to have a copy of PC-DOS 3.30, as well. 😀

Since this is a thread about the PC1512, I hope it's okay to attach a little zip file for PC1512 owners here.
It contains hardware specific utilities that where never sold. Perhaps it can also be useful for PC1640 users.

Edit: The automated installation program is CONFIG.BAT. It will ask for the remaining floppies and then install both MS-DOS/DOS Plus and GEM.
The attached archive contains the Schneider version, but it should also work just fine with the rest of the Amstrad disk sets..
DOS Plus should be able to handle fixed disk drives which were pre-formatted/partitioned with DOS 3.x.

Attachments

• purple.jpg
    Filename
    purple.jpg
    File size
    24.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    pc1512_d5.zip
    File size
    419.14 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Jo22 on 2016-10-15, 20:16. Edited 2 times in total.

//My video channel//