VOGONS

First post, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I built a windows 98se rig yesterday but the video card I had choosen for it (Ati AiW x800 xt agp) is faulty and games won't run in hardware accelerated mode, which is a shame (even dxdiag crashes if I try to test direct3d) since hte card has both a tv tuner AND fm tuner, and sometimes merely opening menus in windows programs induces visual artifacts. The only other agp cards I have for it is a hd4000-something and a x1650 pro agp. I know that the x800 series were the last ati cards to officially support windows 9x, but I read somewhere that it was possible to get the x1650 card to run in windows 98 through file modification, so I was wondering what it is that I need to do to get the card running.

As an aside note, what would be a cheap, decent fm tuner pci card that'd run in windows 98?

My specs:

Asus P4S800-MX
Pentium 4 2.4ghz HT, socket 478
2gb DDR-400 ram
2x 80gb ide hard disks
1x 40gb ide hard disk
1x ide LG DVD-RW writer.
Sound Blaster Live! (for the game/midi port)
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 (as primary sound card, still trying to find the drivers for that)

Reply 2 of 5, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98 hates more than 512MB Ram. There are methods around this but I don't think any of them are 100% successful.

I avoided a x1650 pro AGP on ebay last week for this exact reason, no WIN98 driver. It appeared that no-one got it working under win98se even by modifying the driver ini.
7xxx series Nvidia cards have reported success with this method though.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 5, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trank wrote:

Yeah even if you get it working with more than 512mb it wont give any real performance gain and just cause more stability issues.

I already applied the 512mb limit patch.

But if there really isn't any way to get the x1650 working in windows 98 I'm not against running windows 2000 instead.