VOGONS

First post, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Yesterday I put an Audigy 2 (sb0240) on my Conroe865PE/Windows98 and unfortunately it doesnt install with the Legacy SB16 Driver. I have the official driver CD from Vogons repository. First off I installed normaly from CD Setup - this gave me WDM drivers (without legacy mode of course). Then I uninstalled the wdm drivers manually with CTZAPXX, rebooted, and installed VXD with the same CTZAPXX app - still no SB16 legacy driver. The last way was removing all drivers with CTZAPXX, and install Audigy 2 by hand, pointing the paths to inf and driver folder - still no luck.

Its a litlle bit weird because there is an sb16.inf file in the driver directory 😜 Installing it manually as an additional device gives me the yellow exclamation mark in device manager and nothing happens.

Anyone has Audigy 2 sb0240 with legacy mode installed on windows 98? Help much appreciated 😁

Reply 1 of 9, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Install the CD normally, reboot, then in the start menu there is a utility that will switch from WDM to VxD.

Do not uninstall the WDM in between, the utility will switch for you.

Also, if MS Windows throws up its own driver prompts, cancel them because Creative's utility will perform the task.

I will get the specifics later today because I'm leaving for work.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 9, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with my Audigy 2 ZS, I could never get it to work. I switched to VxD and it wasn't there, installed it manually by selecting the sb16.inf and the yellow exclamation mark as you described. I tried all sorts but could never get it sorted. I ended up swapping to an older system with an isa based sound card to avoid the headaches!

Reply 3 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:

Install the CD normally, reboot, then in the start menu there is a utility that will switch from WDM to VxD.

^^ The Audigy 2 ZS has a start menu entry to switch from WDM to VXD.

Also, I found that selecting full installation worked best for me 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 9, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I surrender. Tried just everything and I only have exclamation mark. It seems there is a problem somewhere in resources distribution. When i force SB16 driver to reserve resources manualy then sometimes the exclamation mark is gone, but then there are lots of bluescreens 😁 Maybe its a mobo irq assigning problem? who knows...

Still it would be nice if someone would share a solution 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup. Every single unused port and function is DISABLED in BIOS. No LPT, no SERIAL, no onboard LAN & AUDIO. Tried it in every PCI slot with the same result. It's just weird - the card itself works flawlessly on VXD. No hangusp, no stuttering, EAX works like everything else. The one thing it lacks is this damn SB16 mode 😁

Reply 8 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is "PnP OS=Yes" set in the BIOS ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have no such option. The PCIPnP Menu is very, very limited. It has only "PCI Latency Timer" set to 32 and PCI IDE BusMaster set to Enabled. Changing these options still doesnt resolve the issue.