VOGONS

First post, by Blinky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My current project involves building a PC around each of those Voodoo cards :

Voodoo1 (Diamond Monster 3D)
Voodoo2 SLI (Creative Labs 12mb each)
Voodoo3 (3000 currently, hoping to find a 3500)
Voodoo5 5500

Let me get this out of the way first. I don't want to go for maximum performance. I know these cards scale a lot with faster CPUs but I am interested in realistic builds that would be considered high-end back in the day.
For example, the Voodoo1 can be used in a PII machine, but someone that would have built this maching in 1997 wouldn't have anything better than a Pentium MMX (I myself had a 233MMX back then and was drooling over the Voodoo I couln't afford).
Another example, most Voodoo3 systems were built back then around a PIII 450mhz, I don't care that I can use a faster CPU and get better performance, I care that if when most people made that PC with their PIII 450, the fastest (and expensive) cpu was the 550mhz for example, I'd like to use that.

So I'd like your opinions based on the above logic, on what a high-end system would look like back in the day for each of those cards...and most importantly suggestions on each mobo (I have an affection for Asus but if the Asus sucked back then I don't mind something else)

Reply 1 of 20, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium or MMX for V.

V2 SLI ~ V3 2000, so not sure if it's worth it.

V3 an average Pentium III. Voodoo 5 a Pentium III around 800 MHz or more. These cards scaling to the moon is a bit of a myth, maybe at 320 x 200, but play at 1024 x 768 and even the Voodoo 5 reaches the limit quickly.

Faster machines do give you better loading times and something nice features such as USB 2, on-board Ethernet, more USBs and those kind of things.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 20, by Blinky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Pentium or MMX for V. […]
Show full quote

Pentium or MMX for V.

V2 SLI ~ V3 2000, so not sure if it's worth it.

V3 an average Pentium III. Voodoo 5 a Pentium III around 800 MHz or more. These cards scaling to the moon is a bit of a myth, maybe at 320 x 200, but play at 1024 x 768 and even the Voodoo 5 reaches the limit quickly.

Faster machines do give you better loading times and something nice features such as USB 2, on-board Ethernet, more USBs and those kind of things.

thanks for the fast reply. I am not going for usefullness here, but more like a Museum-type theme, I will be putting those systems on display not inside cases and I want them to be authentice on what would have been bought back in the day by a high-end user

Reply 3 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blinky wrote:

more like a Museum-type theme, I will be putting those systems on display not inside cases and I want them to be authentice on what would have been bought back in the day by a high-end user

So people will look inside and say, "Yep, those circuit boards have the right numbers on them" ? Are you expecting this to appeal to a lot of people..? But I suppose we already had that discussion in another thread.

If you're that concerned about authenticity, I suggest you consult some old PC magazines. Maybe you can get them framed and hang them next to your exhibits.

Reply 4 of 20, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Voodoo1 (Diamond Monster 3D) Voodoo2 SLI (Creative Labs 12mb each) Voodoo3 (3000 currently, hoping to find a 3500) Voodoo 5 […]
Show full quote

Voodoo1 (Diamond Monster 3D)
Voodoo2 SLI (Creative Labs 12mb each)
Voodoo3 (3000 currently, hoping to find a 3500)
Voodoo 5

All these voodoos are to common and to cheap and not worth a mention to build some museum rigs. Try to find elusive boards from q3d. for example V1 sli, v2 agp etc, etc

Reply 5 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically speaking, you are looking for what was the fastest CPU/Mobo combo, the month before the next card was released?
A bit like: The fastest P-II in Jan. 1998, because V2 is from Feb. 1998. Is this correctly understood?

I sence you have a plan, when talking about museum... Can you tell what your plans are?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 20, by Blinky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Basically speaking, you are looking for what was the fastest CPU/Mobo combo, the month before the next card was released?
A bit like: The fastest P-II in Jan. 1998, because V2 is from Feb. 1998. Is this correctly understood?

I sence you have a plan, when talking about museum... Can you tell what your plans are?

That's the idea...

I won't really be doing a museum, I just said that to give an idea on what I mean about authenticity and not really caring about fastest performance.

I WILL be putting them on display though, but for my personal hobby in my "playroom".
I don't care about super-rare either Anthony , I am not doing this for bragging rights nor for putting photos in here and trying to make people jealus just because they can't afford to buy the super-rare parts in ebay. That's not me.

What drives me is nostalgia of those ages and inability to build those PCs back then. I was born in 1984, started from a 80286 that was in the house with test drive 1, and my first "good" PC was a Pentium 90mhz that was my Xmas 1996 present. From there on started my PC hobby and I remember drooling over the Voodoo1 in magazines but couldn't buy it. My first 3dfx was the Voodoo2 much later than it was produced (a couple of months before V3 was introduced, late 1998).
So basically on one part I have nostalgia for those "golden" (for me) years of gaming and on another point, I'd like to build some machines around them because now it is very cheap to do so, just for fun/nostalgia/memories.
In the end those PCs will be scarcely used for gaming with appropriate ERA games and the reason I will put them on display, is because I dont have the space for 5-6 PC boxes, so I am thinking of mounting the motherboards on plexiglass pieces with cpu+ram+vga+sound+hdd and on the wall and then using a single PSU+monitor I can connect whichever I want to use at the time. This way I save space, and I can see the parts instead of having them hidden, but I don't really care for WoWing people, it's not like most of my pals would understand what this "junk" (in their eyes) is anyway...

The authenticity part stems from the idea that I'd like the machine to be as if I would have bought it back in the day supposing I had unlimited funds (within reason) so using the latest or 1 step down cpu etc. Moreover since there will be 4+ machines there is no reason for overkill since there will be pentium mmx + pentium2 + pentium3 etc, so no reason to max out an Asus P2b for example (with a PIII) when there will also be an Asus P3b with a PIII... better to spread the available speeds.

Reply 7 of 20, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo1 - Pentium/Pentium mmx
Voodoo2 SLI - PII 450 if you plan on running stuff in 1024x768. PIII/Athlon 550Mhz+ if you want fps over resolution.
Voodoo3 - same as V2 sli
Voodoo5 - higher end PIII or Athlon, 800MHz+

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 8 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you are doing this a bit like I do then. Having machines from each era, made up from what were actually on sale for an affordable price at that time. Not to say that I do not have good parts. To me, the "party" stops when we hit the year 1999. Excepted a few items from up to 2002, I have no real interrest in the XP era. My point of focus, are a bit different than you. I like to have my own personal "working" museum, that shows off how the hardware has evolved from around 1985/87 and to 99/00. It is the jurney from the standalone-nerd-machine to the familys-everyday-internet-tool wich are my focus point. By working museum, I am talking about starting the machines up, each one, for aprox 30 minutes every second month. Just to play a bit around with, an to make shure they are still fitt and working ones. The main fun is as allways the build and benchmarking, to make something that works. Not to play countless hours of gaming.

So yeah... I truely get you on this. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 20, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I rembember that somebody has posted some curves where you can see the scaling with different CPUs for the voodoos 1, 2 and 3.

Does anybody rembember and can post the link maybe?

Edit:
Have found these data...
Voodoo 1 CPU & VGA Limitations
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94628483/ … g%20project.pdf

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 10 of 20, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could buy the latest and greatest CPU, a Pentium II 233 through 300 in May of 1997 so that would have been the fastest CPU around during the time the Monster 3D (V1) was the hotness.

Reply 11 of 20, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Voodoo1 - Pentium/Pentium mmx or K6-2
Voodoo2 SLI - High end PII or early PIII
Voodoo3 - PIII 550mhz or better. (750 Coppermine is what I'd start with)
Voodoo5 - PIII 1ghz or better.

The voodoo5500 really does well with faster cpu's, I had one in a P4 system for the longest time.
Played battlefront, AoE3, and BH4 on it. even HL2.

Reply 12 of 20, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Voodoo1 - Pentium/Pentium mmx or K6-2
Voodoo2 SLI - High end PII or early PIII

Hmm, looking at phil's VGA database, the K6-2 matches the pentium MMX (with 233MHz to 266 MHz), and with the high clocks (with 450MHz to 550 MHz) you are faster but do not reach the high end pentium II's concerning heavy FPU based software.

Depending on the installed VGA card, you match a PII 350 with a K6-2 500/550. Yes, a high end PII-450 is faster, but i am thinking that way:

How much faster is the high end K6-2 to P-MMX or how much slower compared to high end PII.
How much is the gap between voodoo1 to voodoo2 SLI. From what i saw in benchmark its huge! So at the end, it depends on scaling over different generations P5 and P6 architecture and what was time accurate at that time...

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 13 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went for the cpu's in my sig, ofcourse there is some overlap in the systems but they are all nicely balanced. The voodoo2 sli will be a lot faster in a p3 but they do run very well on the k6-3+.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 14 of 20, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So sorry to necro-post, but I hope this thread isn't too old to post on. Would a single Voodoo 2 paired with an athlon 700mhz choke? Or would that be an ok system? I have a pentium 2 and a pentium 3 I can throw it in. Though I was really wanting to pair it with the 700mhz...hypothetically.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 15 of 20, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A single Voodoo2 is fine for Glide games at 800x600, and a 700 MHz Athlon is twice as powerful as anything that would've been paired with the card originally. That CPU could use a better graphics card for higher resolutions and later 1999-2000 material.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 17 of 20, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any machine you want to play Glide games on, from P1 up to maybe Athlon XP. Just pick a decent later graphics card to pair with for general D3D/OpenGL use. The only concession you make with the V2 in the system is degraded image quality, if connecting your display to the main graphics card through the Voodoo2 instead of switching outputs.

Performance wise, a PII-400 will already utilize 95-100% of what the single card can give, in almost any game.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 18 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

What type of system would you recommend for a Voodoo 2?

I used a K6-3/400 for my single Voodoo 2.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!