VOGONS

Need help reviving a V5 5500...

Topic actions

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I recently got a damaged V5 5500, and I'd like to fix it. The card came from a recycling center and it has several ceramic SMD capacitors and resistors missing, as well as two missing SMD electrolytic caps.

So far I've managed to find SMD electrolytic caps with correct values (got them off a dead GF4 Ti), as well as the SMD resistors witch I took off a dead V1, and replaced all missing ceramic SMD caps with parts of the same size and SIMILAR color by means of high res pictures I found on the internet.

The card posts, displays image, but crashes in 3D when attempting to use both GPUs. If I select only one GPU form 3dfx tools, the card runs perfectly and behaves like a 64mb voodoo 4.

Now the question - can you guys help me identify the values for C509, C510, C511, C513, C515 as well as C547 and C542? W/o the correct values for the first 5 the second GPU will not operate correctly... Is there a database or schematic with values for these parts? If not, can any of you Voodoo 5 5500 owners measure the capacitance of these parts and post them here? Please? I'd really like to get this card working 100% again....

TjT46qph.jpg

Reply 1 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can this list be at any help?

http://www.voodooalert.de/board/index.php?pag … 9046&highlight=

Can anyone confirm that the list is the real deal?

EDIT. Found some more information...

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/tagebuecher … 5-5500-agp.html

It is the picture with an sheet of paper, it contains a parts list.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks dude, it might. According those pages the missing SMD caps are 100nF/0,1µF 16V 0603 X7R 5 or 10% - now I know what I need to order. I should also replace the 100uf electrolytic SMD cap on the front with one with same values but correct size (the one I put on is physically smaller then the original)

jL60UmJh.jpg

Reply 3 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE:

I've replace all the SMD caps and resistors with one of appropriate values, but I'm still getting the same issue. The card works fine if I select "Anti-Aliasing - Single Chip" but if I select "Performance Mode" the machine displays some horizontal lines and hangs.

My current test setup is a Gigabyte KT333 board + Athlon XP 2400+ -> is it possible the card is not liking the motherboard?

Both chips are detected fine, total memory is reported to be 64MB and so on...

Reply 4 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good job.... Awesomme.
Those V5 cards are a piece of history. I must admit that I like hearing that. Every V5 revived are good news.
Though I personally don't want one. It is awesomme that a piece of history is working yet again.

About these problems you encounter. Have you tested it in a different motherboard?
Perhaps you need to look into other driver combinations?
If not, then at least the card can work on some level. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried another board - an apollo pro 133 + p3 - same issue... I did notice it runs fine on default openGL in quake 2 - it gets a silly 157 fps @ 1024x768 with raziel's driver set - but with the latest reference drivers I get screen corruption + hang in default OGL too. I'm starting to think it may be a driver issue of sorts. Either that, or one of the larger aluminum caps is not doing it's job and the board is not getting enough power.

I'm looking at the 100uf 16v cap - I only had the small one pictured above - although it has the same rating as the original sanyo cap, there might be other differences...

Reply 6 of 21, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

I'm looking at the 100uf 16v cap - I only had the small one pictured above - although it has the same rating as the original sanyo cap, there might be other differences...

Are you sure that (and the original) are 100uF? Sometimes those surface mount caps encode the capacitance differently. 100 can sometimes mean 10 * 10^0 = 10uF.

Reply 7 of 21, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Are you sure that (and the original) are 100uF? Sometimes those surface mount caps encode the capacitance differently. 100 can sometimes mean 10 * 10^0 = 10uF.

Tantalums might say 226 for 22uF and 107 for 100uF, but 10 means 10 uF and 100 means 100 uF in case of electrolytics.

Other V5 5500 pictures on the net appear to have OS-CON type polymer caps, so I suggest replacing with similar type instead of normal electrolytics. Could be the reason why it does not work under high load.

Reply 8 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Yes I'm sure.... I looked it up and the card originally uses Sanyo 100uf 16v and Sanyo 470uf 16v... oh and they're electrolytic caps, not tantalum...

In any case I found out what's wrong with the thing - it's not the VSA100 chips, nor the caps - its actually the SDRAM chips connected to the second VSA100.... I found the edge-most pins on two of the rear ram modules connected to the "faulty" vsa100 were bent and shorting 🙁 I streightned them out with a razor and made sure they're connected to their respective pads but before I could run 3dmark the motherboard on my test PC failed (the thing hangs regardless of what video card or memory I put in it).

I'll retest the v5 tomorrow but I doubt it will work - shorts on sdram module pins usually kill the memory chip 🙁

Reply 9 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The DRAM chips could conceivably be replaced if you can find replacements, so all is not lost. Hopefully you get that mobo repaired without too much difficulty.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

The DRAM chips could conceivably be replaced if you can find replacements, so all is not lost. Hopefully you get that mobo repaired without too much difficulty.

I found the exact chips on a Geforce 2 MX - I'm going to try to transplant them to the V5.

Reply 12 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

But check if the current chip still works before.

It doesn't. I get red linear artifacts on half the screen. 3dmark99 runs for a few seconds (with some artifacting) and then the computer hangs.

Reply 13 of 21, by G1nX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The missing smds are not the problem with this card. From the information you provided the VSA100 master chip is working fine reason why the card boots-up and works in single chip mode without issues. The problem could be that due to overheating the slave VSA100 chip is damaged and because it's only active in 3D in SLI/performance mode it doesn't show problems in 2D mode. The fix is to replace the slave VSA100 chip with a new working one but BGA rework isn't easy or cheap. The card usually works with bad memory although it shows artifacts it won't crash but a bad VSA100 chip would do that. Of course you can replace the memory modules for the slave VSA100 to check for that possibility also.
I had as similar issue with a V5 AGP and I ended up replacing both VSA100 chips to make the card functional again.

Good luck,
G1nX

Retro-gamer & VGA Collector