VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When gaming on old PCs, I noticed something that was always a bit annoying : when your game has music written directly onto the CD (wich you can read in a CD player) when the music starts up, the game freezes until the CD is spinning fast enough to be read by the drive.

It can also happend when videos animations are stored on the CD and that the game suddently want to lanch one, there too, you have to wait until the CD spins fast enough ... wich can sometimes take more than 1 second

Is there a way to make the CD to spin "forever" at for example 1x speed (since it doesn't need more to be read) ?

Last edited by Deksor on 2016-12-29, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks !

But the problem is that I'm playing windows games, and as far as I know starting oakcdrom.sys when using windows is useless, right ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I found another program called "Nero DriveSpeed" wich I just tried on my 1998 gaming PC

However, puting the CD speed at 4x makes the issue less relevant, but it's still here ... I'd like to have it completely gone, making the CD drive slower is one thing, I think that the issue would be completely gone if the CD was already spinning when the game wants to access it.

Reply 5 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another approach would be to simply dump the CD to the hard drive, and mount the resulting image with Daemon Tools, or whatever optical drive emulation tool you prefer.

If you go for Daemon Tools, I believe version 3.47 is the latest non-bloated one. Should be available at oldversions.com.

Reply 6 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, but it's kind of a shame when I already have original CDs. I must have more than one hundred games, and dumping all of them would take a lot of space and that would also take a lot of time to do (and some of them have copy protection)

And also, I'm not sure if the music will work

Reply 7 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

Another approach would be to simply dump the CD to the hard drive, and mount the resulting image with Daemon Tools, or whatever optical drive emulation tool you prefer.

If you go for Daemon Tools, I believe version 3.47 is the latest non-bloated one. Should be available at oldversions.com.

I thought that didn't work with CD-ROMs that have their music as Red Book Digital Audio (like on normal CDs)? Usually the music can't be played from the image.

Reply 9 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

I thought that didn't work with CD-ROMs that have their music as Red Book Digital Audio (like on normal CDs)? Usually the music can't be played from the image.

Under XP this works great, under Windows 98 it usually doesn't. Box ticked, but it just doesn't work. There are some things you can try, I did a write up on this and asked for others to test it, but the thread fizzled out.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So there is no real solution for this issue ?

It reminds me how old console did this. For example the PS1 spins it's CD continuously in order to avoid that problem. It's a shame that we can't do the same on PC 😒

Reply 11 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't one of the tools posted fix the problem? You specifically want to change the "spin down time", though there is probably a maximum value that cannot be exceeded.

If Nero doesn't do it, how about http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cd_ro … _tool_aspi.html ?

Reply 12 of 13, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Daemon Tools emulation driver is a bit more than a just ISO mounter like in other solutions as ImDisk. It will handle anything a real SCSI CD/DVD can do. Alcohol 120% virtual drives have also the same property.

Reply 13 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digging up that thread because I still didn't find any good solution. I'm pretty sure that jorpho's solution could work (I still didn't try that 🤣, but I will now), but the problem is that I'll have to tweak that every time I want to start a specific game or that I want to install one.

I corrected the title which didn't sound quite right to me (and probably for you too 🤣) and that is probably closer to what I want. Like I said, slowing down the CD drive seems to work, but it has a major issue which I just explained earlier. The best solution would be to not have the interruption when the CD drive spins up, just leave the game running while the CD starts. I'm not sure if that's possible, but this seems to be an issue for windows 9x : I ran the demo of half life on my main computer running windows 7 and I did not experience that at all. No hiccup, nothing, just the game running and the music starting up, no interrupt ...