VOGONS

Reply 60 of 66, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not possible to disable individual components on YMF71x cards but you can move them to addresses nothing touches, my SETYMF util will allow you to do that.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 62 of 66, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

It is not possible to disable individual components on YMF71x cards but you can move them to addresses nothing touches, my SETYMF util will allow you to do that.

oh oh! Tiido! *fan attack!*

No, really, how exactly did I miss that project of yours?! Thanks, I'm going to play around with SETYMF!

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 63 of 66, by Superpuissant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, just sharing my experience: so, like many of you, I recently started my quest for the perfect sound card for dos games. I went though thousands of threads, I read billions opinions, completely lost my mind and spent a fortune in old overpriced pieces of c..p that were supposed to make that p233 and K6-2 500 sound better.
Then I found this topic and it was like, yeah! Let's do that and push it a bit further! So I did the following:

I have modified a SB CT2940 to replace the CQM chip with a YMF289B (and its DAC) - From time to time I replace the CT 2940 with a CT2290 just because it's big and bulky so probably sounds better...
I've coupled it with a Yamaha YMF718 handling the MPU (what a waste!!)
I have added a PCI sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS for windows 98 EAC and soundfonts treats

The CT2940 and the Audigy are linked together with a y jack splitter, so no need to unplug anything when switching between Windows 98 and DOS.

I am now the proud owner of a complete 3 perfectly capable sound cards pasta mess nonsense that works fine most of the time.

Although, depending of the game, the FM is coming either from the Yamaha YMF718 or from the CT2940 (that sound alike to my hear) and it seems that I there is nothing I can do against it.
And that, my friends, is what is keeping me awake at night...

Reply 64 of 66, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A few years ago, I successfully mated a Sound Blaster 16 Model CT1740 with a Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum 16.

If memory serves, I managed to use all resources on both cards by using different values for the SB 1.5 emulation of the PAS16 and the SB16 (disabling the Thunder Board was an alternative, but I liked the idea of two SBs).

The main issue, however, was that the PAS16 used the OPL3 base address as its own control port, too.

While the PAS16 has special circuitry for its OPL3 to make it work, the SB16 has not.
Which resulted in a horrible noise on the SB16's OPL3 when MVSound.sys was loaded during boot.

To fix the noise, I had to run Diagnose.exe.
When the tests were completed, the SB16's OPL3 stopped making noises.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 65 of 66, by Scirocco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have the same card model ct2950 that works with the Roland sc-55. I have a problem with the sound blaster because it uploads MIDI to me on port 330, which is the same as Roland. I can't switch the SB to a different MIDI port because it's already in use. How to turn off MIDI completely in SB?

Reply 66 of 66, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scirocco wrote on 2021-11-14, 12:45:

Hi. I have the same card model ct2950 that works with the Roland sc-55. I have a problem with the sound blaster because it uploads MIDI to me on port 330, which is the same as Roland. I can't switch the SB to a different MIDI port because it's already in use. How to turn off MIDI completely in SB?

What are you using to initialize the card? The CT2950 is a PnP card and should be supported by Unisound. You can create a custom SET Blaster variable with the MPU401 setting set to 0 (zero). You can then initialize the other parts of the card while not mapping a port to the MPU401 part. You'll even be able to have the MPU401 disabled, while still having the gameport enabled if you want.