VOGONS

18 years ago

Topic actions

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going through some OLD backup CDs and found a couple of pictures you guys might find interesting. This is my setup during the heyday of LAN parties, upgrade wars, the GHz rush, etc. These would be from around ~1998-1999; I was 17 or 18. I would have stitched these together from scanned film photos (hence the odd shape) and added the labels in Photoshop 3.0 which I pirated from my high school. Even back then I felt need to post pictures of my crap on forums. 😜

1997_hardware_large_labelled.jpg
1997_hardware2.jpg

I still have the .psd file with layers too, so I rendered out a higher-res & sharper version just for you guys!

1997_hardware_remastered.jpg

Some of this stuff is still around in my storage room - the two 5x86 machines got merged into one and re-housed in a small-footprint desktop case. (One of them had a PC Chips M919 which I tossed after it got super flaky and I stuck all the good hardware into the other one.) I gave the SGI Indy to a friend, along with the Tandy laptop & Mac LC. At least they went to a good home. 😀 The Zenith Ultrablack monitor eventually died and was replaced by something far less interesting. I sold the Thinkpad on Ebay (which was already well established in 1998!) after getting a much better 365ED.

(Fun fact: I bought a car on the then-brand new Ebay Motors in 2000. Everyone thought I was insane at the time.)

I used to lug that K6-2 to LAN parties all over the place in its monster tower with its plethora of salvaged SCSI drives and 16" monitor (I eventually replaced that with a 21" SGI CRT!) I don't even want to think about what that setup must have weighed; it's just how we rolled back then. I sadly tossed it out in around 2005 but I vaguely remember its motherboard being an unreliable giant turd.

I still have the Casio keyboard and probably every floppy disc in the photo, and the pink mini-CRT is sitting right here connected to my MSX.

Also of note, under the big globe: every issue of US PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World from ~1995 to whenever this pic was taken. Also some mixed other stuff like UK PCG, PC & Amiga Format, and probably some 4x4 off-roading mags knowing my young self. These were later destroyed in a basement flood and all had to be thrown away. 🙁 I do still have most of the coverdiscs.

Anyone else have some vintage photos of their gear?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Haha I actually had 2. I got them from a friend at the local university when they were slated for disposal. The first one (probably the one in the pic) was completely stripped down, just a case & motherboard. The later one I got was complete and had one of the higher-end CPUs (R4400??), 3D accellerator board, 3x4GB SCSI HDDs, SGI keyboard, mouse, "web"cam(!), etc.

These were *not* particularly obsolete machines in 1998~9, ILM and Pixar still had some in their production lines when I got my hands on mine. 😜

Unfortunately the complete one came with its drives wiped and IRIX install media was completely unobtainable for a teenager back then. I got Linux working well enough to use the command line but couldn't figure out what to do with it. I ended up giving the whole setup to a friend who collected Unix systems and had the resources to get it going. It's still probably the only machine I really regret letting go of.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Yeah I was one of the suckers who bought one. It didn't last long, probably why it's sitting out on top of the case in the pic.

leileilol wrote:

That photo could make a fun pad/rats map. Lots of elevation and cover. 😀

I always make good use of the vertical space on my desk. 😜 I remember one map from the SiN demo that was like that - you were mouse sized and running through bookcases, behind walls, etc. Heaps of fun.