VOGONS

First post, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to get my hands on a near perfect condition AOpen AX34 based system with an AOpen Case (Idk what the model is) and an AOpen 250 Watt PSU (FSP250-60GTA).

After a few upgrades it now has a Pentium 3 933MHZ (OC'ed to ~1.06GHz), 786MB of SDRAM installed, and WinME (don't laugh it works well for me) on a 80GB drive plus some dvd drives, floppy drive, and a zip drive.

It came with some SIS agp card wich I threw into my SIS box immediately in favor for my most powerful Nvidia AGP card I own, which is the GeForce FX 5900XT (Gigabyte GV-N59X128D)

Then the system refused to boot.

At first I though it was the FX 5900XT finally breaking down, so I put it back in another Pent 3 system to test, and it booted just fine. Then I tested it in 5 other PCs of vairying specs and wattages and they all booted up fine as well.

So I though maybe the PSU or Mobo can't handle the wattage or something, so I put the only other molex powered AGP card I own which is an Ati (Refrence) Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) in to test and that booted too.

Then I thought that it just doesn't like Nvidia cards, so I put 5 different Nvidia (AGP powered) model cards like my old TNT 2 and Geforce 2 MX in and the system booted just fine.

So at this point the only thing I can think of is the fact that the AX34 mobo or the FX 5900XT has a problem booting together.

If anyone has any ideas to fix this or can suggest a similar Nvidia card to replace it with let me know.

Reply 2 of 8, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes on these older computer part's, I've had to have the card installed at a certain angle for it to even get detected.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 3 of 8, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mastergamma12 wrote:

Sometimes on these older computer part's, I've had to have the card installed at a certain angle for it to even get detected.

I've had that problem with other GPUs and cards too, but this one works fine at any angle as far as I can tell.

Trank wrote:

Have you tried un OCing the P3 in the AOpen system? Using less RAM. Im trying to think of anything really.

I reset everything to default settings and it still will not boot. I've tested the card with 32MB-1.5GB of ram before so it should work just fine from what I can tell.

Reply 4 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't recommend running the 5900xt on anything older then a KT266. Don't get me wrong, the card should work with that motherboard, but even if the machine posts, you might have driver issues.

Reply 5 of 8, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I wouldn't recommend running the 5900xt on anything older then a KT266. Don't get me wrong, the card should work with that motherboard, but even if the machine posts, you might have driver issues.

Well I pulled the card from working at 2X AGP mode on a old slot 1 Techram P6Pro-A+ mobo, without any issues at all, so in theory it should be just fine with this newer board.

Reply 7 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jm764 wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Well I pulled the card from working at 2X AGP mode on a old slot 1 Techram P6Pro-A+ mobo, without any issues at all, so in theory it should be just fine with this newer board.

Like I said - in theory it whould work, but running AGP 4x/8x cards in old AGP 2x/4x boards is sometimes more trouble then it's worth. It think it all boils down to how much power the AGP slot on the board can deliver (even if the card itself has a dedicated power connector) - since stuff like the FX5200 usually runs fine, but higher-end cards like fast FX5700 with the full 128bit bus and fast DDR memory have issues.

I've seen people run a 6800 in P3 machines, but aside from possible hardware incompatibility there's also driver issues to contend with - especially on earlier VIA chipsets where some versions of forceware work fine, while others BSOD, artefact or black screen due to incompatibility with VIA chipsets.

From experience I've concluded that if you want a reliable-painless and fast socket 370 rig, get a Geforce 4 Ti card. A ti 4200 is not that hard to find, nor is it expensive, it's perfectly compatible with older motherboards (the AGP 4x version of the card -the 4x/8x version has issues) and it's fast enough to drive ALL games you might play on a P3 rig at 1600x1200 with anti-aliasing.

At one point I had a Gigabyte FX5700 in my P3 rig, (i815 / 1.4Ghz tualatin) but due to driver incompatibility with some games (black screen issue in DK2 and Soul Reaver to name a few) I switched back to a Ti 4200 and forceware 41.09

An FX card is best suited for faster P4 and Athlon XP machines - witch both run win98 just fine.

Reply 8 of 8, by jm764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I made a few modifications, by replacing the ram with three 512mb sticks at 133mhz, and updating the bios to the newest one available.

Sadly neither of these things effected the FX 5900XT and the ram is too unstable to allow the cpu to run overclocked on by increasing the fbs so it can only run at stock speeds now.

At this point I've decided to simply move the FX 5900XT back to it's original Pentium 4 based rig and search for another card to replace it that works with this board. I had a Geforce4 4800 Ti, but it's been broken for years so I can only spare a Nvidia TNT 2 to replace it for now.

Thanks for the advice everyone, If I ever find a fix later, I'll post it here.