VOGONS

First post, by Ziginox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, a while back I took ownership of an HP Vectra 486ST (production prototype) that contained an Aztech SoundGalaxy BXII. I took an image of the hard drive and played around a bit with the current installation of Windows 95 before wiping the drive and reinstalled. I've tried with both the Aztech drivers and Creative Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers, but since the reinstallation the MIDI sounds "drunk" when playing a song (using Media Player inside Windows 95.) It'll use the wrong instruments, miss some notes, and on long strings of notes sometimes it'll play the same pitch twice. Before it sounded just as you'd expect an OPL2/3-equipped Sound Blaster to sound. I compared the files that were on the drive before with what I pulled from Aztech's FTP, and they appear to be the same driver version. Any ideas?
So far I've tried a complete reinstallation of Windows 95, which hasn't helped. I didn't change any settings on the board or in the computer's configuration.

d_e1m1:
Before
After
d_runnin
Before
After
Age of Empires Music5
Before
After

Reply 1 of 3, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use MIDI Mapper instead of the device directly? If you can't resolve it via Control Panel/Multimedia/MIDI, you could probably poke around with IDFEdit as a last resort.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

Use MIDI Mapper instead of the device directly? If you can't resolve it via Control Panel/Multimedia/MIDI, you could probably poke around with IDFEdit as a last resort.

Sounds like it could be an incorrect setting (selection) in MIDI Mapper. In other words, it's possible that another "device" has been selecting to play back FM synthesis.

Reply 3 of 3, by Ziginox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checking in the Multimedia control panel and "Sound Galaxy BX/NX FM Synth" is selected. The only other option is "Galaxy MIDI-Out Port". Setting the MIDI out to that and back didn't improve the situation, either. Playing a file with the Voyetra AudioStation (included with the BXII drivers) produces the same results.