VOGONS

First post, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost finished with a Pentium 120mhz 32mb RAM build aimed at MSDOS games with maybe some windows 95 action.

The machine has an AT motherboard with 4 ISA slots and 3PCI slots, and a USB header which I've not played with yet.

Current Issue is the S3 Virge DX PCI video card image quality is not very good at all, looks a little washed out and has lighter lines through it.
I'm going to assume this is just how it was from factory and that it'd be fine on a CRT monitor, but I'm using it with a Dell LCD screen

Other older cards I've tried with the same screen are pretty much fine (Rage 128s, Rage II, 6600LE, 9000, 9250, 9800XT, etc) but another card that seems to have an issue is also an S3 card.
The S3 Trio 3D/2X, has a weird diagonal ripple thing going on.(can't use the other cards as they're all AGP, bar the 9000 but that's in another system)

Is this just an S3 quality thing? Other than the VGA signal quality / Image quality everything works fine

Reply 1 of 4, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had varying results with different S3 Virge cards. I think it really depends on the cards maker. Number Nine cards have worked well for me but I think it was some of the STB cards that had a similar issue to what you are describing.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 4, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the S3 Virge DX too.
The S3 cards have a problem of elevated minimum black level.
The lines you see may be the sync pulses which might be related to the black level problem.
Some S3 Virge BIOSes fix that problem, but create others like color corruption.
It also has some picture centering problem with fundamental resolutions like 720x400.

I don't know why the S3 Virge is liked so much, I only had bad experience with it.
The Cirrus Logic 5446 performs so much better under DOS and maybe W95, although it's VBE 1.2 which is fine by me.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try this util Jepael wrote, it fixes the black level issue on S3 cards: Re: S3 AGP Cards (and possibly others) Too Bright

S3 Virge (and in general S3 cards) are liked because the offer great compatibility under DOS -> http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/
Personally after wbc patched the Trio3D/2X bios I replaced the Riva 128zx card with a Speedstar A55 in my dos p1 build , same speed but more green squares according to the tests site above 😁
There is also "S3VBEFIX - PC\MS-DOS TSR fix for S3 VESA 2.0 video BIOS" wbc wrote , combo'ed with the black level fixes the S3 cards became even better!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried the .com files Jepael wrote, but they don't seem to work on my card.

I wonder if passing it through a Voodoo 2 PCI card would do anything to clean it up a little, I might try that, don't think it'll work.

Looking at other card options now, Maybe a MX4000 will do the job but I've got no idea what they're like in DOS