VOGONS

Windows 95 Pentium Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are plenty of MS-Dos-6.22 install disks on eBay. (Price can be discussed, if they are fair)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 29, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But why should I have to buy the disks when the software is so ancient it's been grandfathered into abandonware and the internet is a perfect place to just download and make the floppies yourself? I mean, the only disk that needs to be bootable was the first one, right? The rest were just files.

I downloaded - for free - a floppy image creator for Memtestx86. Worked perfectly. And it was free.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 22 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

But why should I have to buy the disks when the software is so ancient it's been grandfathered into abandonware and the internet is a perfect place to just download and make the floppies yourself? I mean, the only disk that needs to be bootable was the first one, right? The rest were just files.

Your previous statements suggested an aversion to downloading these things:

FFXIhealer wrote:

I only have Windows 98 FIRST Edition (that's on my Pentium II build) and Windows 95 OSR2, so that's what I'm gonna put on this thing if/when I get a storage device for it. If I HAD DOS, I'd think about using it. If I HAD Windows 98 SE, I'd have put it on my Pentium II build already. Some people here aren't willing to shell out serious cash for things like this, though I will thank another forum member for sending the video cards.

I downloaded - for free - a floppy image creator for Memtestx86. Worked perfectly. And it was free.

Looks like the boot code for that is derived from an early version of Linux.

Reply 23 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a spare Win95 copy floating around I would just use that OSR2 supports larger partitions I thought? C:\ may be limited to 2GB but the extended partition could be larger I seem to remember. Easy enough to test. just install and see how it goes.

Dos that comes with Win9x is more then enough for gaming. I usually have a shortcut on my desktop to command.com with my config.sys and Autoexec.bat all configured which is how I duel boot between the 2. Win9x makes things like file copying, unzipping, etc so much easier

Reply 24 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

If you have a spare Win95 copy floating around I would just use that OSR2 supports larger partitions I thought? C:\ may be limited to 2GB but the extended partition could be larger I seem to remember.

OSR2 has support for FAT32, just like Windows 98; FAT32 partitions can theoretically go right up to 16 TB. There is no particular limitation on drive C.

Reply 25 of 29, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that would certainly make it easier to find a HDD that will work.

I've been thinking. This Matrox Millennium G450 PCI card seems like massive over-kill for a 200 MHz Pentium system, wouldn't you agree? I mean yeah, it's all I have right now and it also does OpenGL, but wound't the Voodoo1 be more period-correct for this type of system? I mean, the board doesn't even have an AGP slot (didn't come out until P2 days). And I can't even find drivers for Win95. Only Win98 and up.

As for a case, I can get one from Newegg for roughly $50 that comes with a power supply and a generic ATX rear I/O shield (which I could honestly use 2 of right about now). Would be simple enough.

Besides, I'd then have to figure out what the hell to do with this old-ass computer anyway. 🤣 It'd be great for really old DOS games, I think. The MB does have a jumper for 60-vs-66 MHz FSB operation.

Thoughts?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 26 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like the HP website has a driver for the entire Matrox G series line that works with boh 95 and 98. You could download and try that out. And as mentioned before you can always run stuff in DOS under 98. The Voodoo 1 would not be a bad idea and would pair up nicely with the g450 for 2D image quality and Opengl support.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 27 of 29, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two new 16MB SIMMs today and replaced the 4MB SIMMs in the system. Now I have a full 64MB of memory, stable at 60ns.

That means I have 2 sticks of 4MB, 60ns, 72-pin EDO SIMMs available. Dunno if I'm allowed to advertise on this site, though. Might be good memory for a 486 build. Fully MemTestX86 tested.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 28 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

As for a case, I can get one from Newegg for roughly $50 that comes with a power supply and a generic ATX rear I/O shield (which I could honestly use 2 of right about now). Would be simple enough.

Thoughts?

Or you could simply use that money to get yourself a copy of 98SE and spend the rest on some crummy old badly-cooled beige ATX case and get some extra parts for free. Having even a single copy of 98SE is really worth it and 98SE install disks will get harder to find compared to ATX cases.
These Pentium 1s don't really need a lot of system cooling anyway so the old cases should do fine. In theory 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 29, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, apparently I never updated THIS thread with the changes - instead I ignorantly necro-posted without actually reading back to find out how updated the thread is.

Current status of build:

Sitting on my shelf, but mostly together.
I got an ATX case from someone, but it was an entire computer: an IBM Aptiva E85. This system is an AMD K6-2 300MHz processor, 64MB of SDRAM (32MB x 2 @ 66MHz), a 6GB Quantum Bigfoot XT hard drive, and a CD-ROM drive. It originally had Windows 98 Second Edition, but I had to use the Quantum Bigfoot to test out the Windows 95 install, so now it has a copy of Windows 98 FIRST Edition on it again (all I have at the moment). All drivers are installed properly and functions well, though I did swipe the CD-ROM Audio cable, so now I have to find another one to restore that system.

I used that case for a short while to hook up my Pentium build and it actually worked. I got a 20.4 GB Maxtor hard drive that I was able to find Overlay software for. The Motherboard doesn't support hard drives bigger than 8GB, so that made the overlay software necessary to access the full 20 GB of space. Once installed, it works like a charm. Windows 95 OSR2 is installed, I have the motherboard's built-in sound chip (a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Vanta chip, it's a 16-bit SB compatible) installed and working, used a fully-working ATI Rage IIc 4MB PCI graphics card (more period correct) and also have my extra Voodoo2 8MB card (a Diamond Monster 3D II) installed and working. I have no pass-through cable, though. And yes, I know the 200MHz Pentium is holding the Voodoo2 back...but a Voodoo1 is still over $50 on Ebay. I'm not willing to pay that and I already have the Voodoo2 card - might as well use it for something. Hell, it'll probably work better in the K6-2 system, but I haven't fully decided anything here yet.

While I had the Pentium system hooked up, I installed a number of older programs like Star Trek Encyclopedia, SimTower, SimCity 2000, Carmen Sandiego games, Duke Nukem 2 (the old DOS side-scroller), Duke Nukem 3D Atomic, Quake 1 & 2, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Microsoft Office 1997, and even ran 3D Mark 99 Max, even with only 40 MB of RAM. Now I can run with 64MB and 3DMark won't whine at every start.

I'd still need a generic ATX case for this built - and a CD-ROM drive, but other than that, this build is complete.

Motherboard: Macronics M55HI+
CPU: Intel Pentium P54C 200MHz
RAM: 64MB (4x16MB) 72-pin EDO RAM 60ns
Video: ATI Rage IIc 4MB PCI
3D: Diamond Monster 3D II Voodoo2 8MB PCI
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Vanta
Storage: 20.4 GB Maxtor PATA IDE
Floppy: 1.44 MB 3.5"

I actually spent a bunch of time on this system while it was together teaching myself about DOS and memory management. I ended up getting DOS mode down to only 19KB of conventional memory used WITH CD-ROM support and mouse drivers running. It involved learning how to configure CONFIG.SYS and DOSSTART.BAT to enable HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE to access high-memory areas outside of the 640KB Conventional Memory space. I mean, I have 64MB now....should have a lot more than that tiny amount. I don't even remember memory space being an issue back in the early 90s when using DOS. I guess my father already had his systems configured for it.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png