VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been curious about these small TFT VGA monitors on eBay. They usually ship from China and are used by industry for CCTV. However, some models have VGA and HDMI inputs and have resolutions from 800x600 to 1024x768 and beyond.

I wouldn't mind having a small VGA monitor for testing and even playing games. Has anyone used one of these? I'm curious about the quality. A 10" monitor at 1024x768 might be a neat little thing for a DOS/98SE box.

Reply 1 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a little 7" "backup camera" monitor that looks like the same thing but is composite-only (dual RCA inputs, switchable.) It does its job fine, it's hooked up to my Roland S-760, but it would be amazing if it had a VGA port. I think its native resolution is 800x480 which would be fine for DOS stuff if it scaled 320x200/240 in a sensible way.

I'm curious if a VGA one could do 70Hz. Mine can switch between NTSC/PAL automatically so they're definitely not fixed-frequency.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered that there's a domestic seller offering these through Amazon Prime. The reviews were pretty good, so I went ahead and bought one for $67 shipped. Just do a search for "S801H monitor."

It's an 8" monitor with 1024x768 resolution that accepts VGA, HDMI, and what appears to be component. Screen is smaller than a DVD case!

I'll report back once it arrives.

Reply 3 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool! Hope it works out for you. I could really use something like that in my setup.

A while ago I made a suite of applications to test VGA-mode compatibility on LCD monitors with the intent of putting up a database on Vogonswiki (which I didn't get around to... yet.) If you're feeling ambitious, download the suite, test it out, & report back. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Cool! Hope it works out for you. I could really use something like that in my setup.

A while ago I made a suite of applications to test VGA-mode compatibility on LCD monitors with the intent of putting up a database on Vogonswiki (which I didn't get around to... yet.) If you're feeling ambitious, download the suite, test it out, & report back. 😀

That's a cool program. I'll give it a shot once the monitor arrives.

Reply 5 of 42, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a 10" color SVGA monitor from a cash desk: IBM 4820-1GD. I bought 10 of them and sold 9 to other russian downgraders. Here are some photos from different people:

Wolfenstein 3D
HoMM III
Diablo

It saves the space, however, the viewing angles are horrific and the brightness is quite low.

Last edited by bristlehog on 2016-09-06, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 6 of 42, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:
I'm using a 10" color SVGA monitor from a cash desk: IBM 4820-1GD. I bought 10 of them and sold 9 to other russian downgraders. […]
Show full quote

I'm using a 10" color SVGA monitor from a cash desk: IBM 4820-1GD. I bought 10 of them and sold 9 to other russian downgraders. Here are some photos from different people:

Wolfenstein 3D
HoMM III
Diablo

It saves the place, however, the viewing angles are horrific and the brightness is quite low.

That's a cool little screen. If only these older LCDs were up to modern flat panel specs. 😖 I wish I could take my first gen iPad and convert it into a screen with a VGA adapter. I'd paint its back beige and use it instead of my gigantic CRT.

Reply 7 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like you, saving space is what it's about with these tiny monitors. When I want the full-blown gaming experience, I can use a larger monitor, but an 8" monitor may be just enough for testing my mountains of sound and video cards (which I spend more time doing than actually playing games). Sometimes I just like to have a demo or attract mode running (to listen to the GM music, for instance) while I'm doing other things.

Reply 8 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here boxpressed.
At some point the hobby becomes about enjoying the technology of that era than playing the games over and over.

I have a Socket 7 system with a CRT and SC-55 taking a lot of space, which I have an equivalent in DOSBox and SC-VA/S-YXG50 in my main rig right next to it.
Why keep the old hardware? ......it is Big, Heavy, Slow, Noisy, Freezes, Beeps, Hard-to-Set, Rare, Beige, and AWESOME.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 9 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received the monitor today, and I can recommend it.

I'm very impressed by the picture quality, and it doesn't seem to have a problem with any game I throw at it.

I made a short video of the monitor in action: Windows 98, Tyrian, Unreal, and Descent. The camera's autofocus wasn't working well, and some shots are a little blurry. The screen looks a lot better that it does in the video. This monitor is a little bit bigger than an iPad Mini. Very impressive for less than $70.

https://youtu.be/AMAmS2QqPAk

Reply 10 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow looks great.
Can you please answer few questions before I snatch one.

1. Is the scrolling smooth in 70Hz, 75Hz modes, or the monitor locked at 60 (stutters)?
2. How does it handle 640x480 60Hz (Warcraft 2)?

Also, can you please show the menu features, maybe take some pictures.

Reply 11 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:
Wow looks great. Can you please answer few questions before I snatch one. […]
Show full quote

Wow looks great.
Can you please answer few questions before I snatch one.

1. Is the scrolling smooth in 70Hz, 75Hz modes, or the monitor locked at 60 (stutters)?
2. How does it handle 640x480 60Hz (Warcraft 2)?

Also, can you please show the menu features, maybe take some pictures.

1. The scrolling looks smooth to me in Tyrian, which has the monitor at 70Hz. Did it look like it stuttered in the video to you?
2. I don't have my Warcraft 2 CD handy, but I did test with Epic Pinball. The menu runs at 740x400 @ 70Hz, and the game runs at 640x480 @ 59Hz. The scrolling looks good to me in game mode.

Yes, I will try to take some photos of the menu later tonight.

I should say that I am quite pleased with this monitor partly because of its price/value ratio. It's a cheap monitor but looks really nice, but some may be disappointed if they are expecting top-of-the-line quality. One thing that I realized is that my "vintage" 4:3 monitors (a 15" Dell and a 21" IPS Dell) don't look as vibrant as this brand new monitor. Maybe it has something to do with age, maybe not. I find myself liking the glossy screen because it reminds me of a CRT screen, even though there's no comparison, of course.

Reply 12 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a quick, short video I made of Epic Pinball. Again, this is 640x480 @ 59Hz. The colors appear more washed out in the video than they really are.

https://youtu.be/u_3i10E5k28

Reply 13 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks great, even has a functional scaler by the look of the square grid, not bad at all.

grid.png
Filename
grid.png
File size
110.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What about the more funky resolutions? Maybe you should try the monitor test program that xjas linked?

Reply 15 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote:

Cool, it's an IPS display. Paint it beige!!

How can you tell that it is an IPS display?

I should have time to run the test suggested by xjas a little later.

Reply 16 of 42, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:
MCGA wrote:

Cool, it's an IPS display. Paint it beige!!

How can you tell that it is an IPS display?

I should have time to run the test suggested by xjas a little later.

I did a search earlier out of interest, and if this is the same screen it says it's an IPS:
https://www.amazon.com/Boblov-S801H-Monitor-V … a/dp/B01E9ZPOE8

Reply 17 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

S801U is the newer IPS model, but the differences should be minimal.
Better contrast ratio of 800:1 but slower response time 25ms, DOSBox is way slower than 25ms yet nobody complains.

Eyoyo wrote:

When compare with its previous S801H model,this new S801U model features with IPS Panel and extra MP5 Player function,Remote control function

Just grabbed one, hope it serves me well.
I will do a small review when it arrives.

Reply 18 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, looking forward to the review!

I'll probably pick up a newer model too. This time I can wait for it to ship from China and save a little money.

I'm about halfway through the test suite and should be able to put up some results today.

Reply 19 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Cool, looking forward to the review!

It may take two week or so to arrive.

boxpressed wrote:

I'll probably pick up a newer model too. This time I can wait for it to ship from China and save a little money.

I don't think you'll gain anything, it is practically the same.

boxpressed wrote:

I'm about halfway through the test suite and should be able to put up some results today.

By the tone of your voice I can already know it's good. 😀