VOGONS

Software for Windows 98SE

Topic actions

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm installing Windows 98SE on an old laptop, and my question is about the software to install on it. I've got a list of what software do I want to install, but I need information about what versions works fine on Windows 98. I don't want to install kernelex to maintain it "clean".

This is my wishlist, with all the information I've found.

• Direct X: DirectX 9.0 (December 2006).
  • File Manager: Total Commander still supports Windows 98. I've installed 7.50a because I bought it on CD.
  • Web browser: Firefox 2.0.0.20.
  • PDF printer: PDF Creator 1.2.3. Note that Image2PDF requires .NET 2.0.
  • File compressor: 7-zip 9.22.
  • Photo retouch: Gimp 2.2.17. Requires GTK 2.6.9.
  • Text processor: Abiword 2.4.6.
  • Spreadsheet: Gnumeric 1.4.3-rc4.
  • Text editor: Notepad ++ 5.9.0 (non-unicode).
  • PDF Viewer: FoxIt Reader 2.0.1606. I know for sure that 3.x don't work, but I don't know if 2.3 does.
  • Terminal: Putty still supports Windows 98. MSI installer don't work, but they provide a .exe installer that works.
  • FTP Client: LeechFTP 1.3.
  • Multimedia viewer: VLC 0.8.6i (but requires unicows, not included).
  • Picture viewer: XnView 2.13.
  • System/disk cleaner: CCleaner 2.36.1233
  • Willem EPROM burner: 0.97ja (last version to support PCB 3.5).
  • Floppy disk read/write: I'm going to use CPDWrite, but that's a DOS tool.
  • Hex editor: HxD still supports Windows 98.

Other interesting software (I won't install on my computer, but keep it handy):

• Mail: Thunderbird 2.0.0.24
  • Image viewer: IrfanView still supports Windows 98.
  • Runtime Java: Sun Java 1.6.07
  • Runtime .NET: Microsoft .NET 2.0.
  • CD/DVD burn: cdrtfe and ImgBurn still supports Windows 98. Infrarecorder 0.44.0 works, but I'm not sure that's the latest version. Nero 6.x is supported, but I consider that 4.x and 5.x were lighter.
  • PDF viewer: Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.
  • Multimedia viewer: Windows Media Player 9.0 (Wndows 98SE) and Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0.
  • Web browser: Internet Explorer 6 SP1, Opera 10.10, Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6. Chrome has no compatible versions.
  • Office Suite: OpenOffice 2.4.3 y StarOffice 8. LibreOffice has no compatible versions.
  • FTP client: Filezilla 2.3.3309
  • PDF printer: CutePDF and PDF995 still supports Windows 98.
  • MP3 player: Winamp 5.35 (but any version on 2.x branch, like 2.95 is better suited).
  • Diablo II: I've installed it from CDs and updated via battlenet to find out that 1.14 requires PSAPI.DLL (a DLL mostly found on NT kernels). Patch 1.12 don't need that DLL and is the first version that don't need CDs to play.

Microsoft software and updates:

• Web browser: Internet Explorer 6 SP1.
  • Multimedia viewer: Windows Media Player 9 (7.1 on 98FE).
  • Office Suite: Microsoft Office XP (Office 97 recommended), Microsoft Works 8.0 (7 on 98 FE).

(Underlined versions are the last versions that officially supported Windows 98)

I need some help to complete this list. Finding information about game requirements is easy, but there is not much information about app requirements (if you're looking for OLD versions). I'd like to maintain my system kernelex-free, so I'm looking for "pure" Windows 98 versions.

Also, looking this thread, the wikipedia article about DirectX and the thread about web browsers for any OS, I wonder if there is a site that puts all this information together and everybody can search. There are sites (oldversions) that stores old versions of apps, but they usually don't store this kind of information.

Last edited by Zup on 2016-09-16, 14:20. Edited 13 times in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 45, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For PDF printer, try also CutePDF. It supports W98 even in the latest versions, and it's actually just a wrapper for Ghostscript. I have been using it for ages with no problems whatsoever. I haven't used it on W98 though, but should work.
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 45, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always install 7-zip 9 (last version supported on 98). I can't tell the difference practically between it and later versions; has exactly the same functionality and works perfectly.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 45, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually install the following in Win 98 SE partitions:

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20
Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.24
DivX 2.6
Ahead Software AG Nero Express 6.3.1.25 (bundled)
Apple QuickTime 6.5.2
RealNetworks RealPlayer 10.5
Aladdin Systems StuffIt Standard 8.0.0.148
Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader Version 2.2 Build 203.2 October 25, 2001
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.6 1/8/07
IrfanView 32 Bit for WinNT, Win9x and Win2000 Version 3.17 (This probably isn't the latest version for Win 98)
Sun Microsystems Java 2 Standard Edition Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_22-b03)
InterVideo WinDVD Version 4.0 DXVA (sometimes earlier versions depending on graphics card installed)
CyberLink PowerDVD Version 4.0 (sometimes earlier versions depending on graphics card installed)

As far as an office suite goes, I use Sun Microsystems StarOffice 6.0 (not the latest for Win 98).

For FTP, you might consider the following:

CoffeeCup Free FTP 3
Ipswitch WS_FTP Version 5.08 (no idea what the latest Win 98 version is)
LeechFTP Version 1.3

FalconFly has a good collection of Microsoft DirectX Redistributable versions:

http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Edit:
Since your list is fairly expansive, I would add the following (commercial) voice recognition software that I have for Win 98:

IBM ViaVoice for Windows Release 9 Personal Edition
IBM ViaVoice OEM Version 9.1 Professional
Br0derbund Software, Inc./Lernout & Hauspie Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5 Standard
Br0derbund Software, Inc./Lernout & Hauspie Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5 Preferred USB

Reply 4 of 45, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.20 myself on my Windows 98 built, runs fine for small websites. Big modern ones lock the whole system up trying to render all that stuff. But at least it's better than IE 6.

And I use an old compatible version of Adobe Reader for PDF files.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 6 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread contained a link to https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59559 , which suggests that Sumatra 2.2.1 supported Win98.

Not too much else of interest in there application-wise, though, except for OpenOffice 3.2.1.

Reply 7 of 45, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've updated the first post, adding some programs/versions.

Last supported version of 7zip is 9.22. Later versions don't include Windows 98 as supported system (but may work).

I haven't included codecs like divx, because I think every codec is (almost) covered using VLC. That includes DVDs, although I don't know if 0.8.6i could play them (and I won't find out, because my laptop has no DVD). I used to install Quicktime and Real Player but I didn't really have any use for them (excluding some older Windows games).

As a picture viewer, I always preferred XnView, but the good news is that current versions of Irfanview supports Windows 98 (or so their website says).

I didn't posted a FTP client because Filezilla may be heavy; thanks to akula65 I remembered LeechFTP that gave me good speeds (but was and is difficult to find).

About office suites: I didn't include any office suite because my goal was having a light system. OpenOffice 2.4.2 is the latest version supported, and any LibreOffice requires Windows 2000 or later.

I've seen posts about Sumatra users compiling the sources for Windows 98, but I haven't (yet) seen any official version that supports it.

Thanks.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 45, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't have any luck with CPCDiskXP on clean Win98. Which is bad since my main desktop doesn't have a "real" floppy and my retro pcs don't go higher that Win98.
If you need an alternative, instead of creating something specifically to be able to run CPCDiskXP, I'm using CPDWrite (DOS)

Reply 9 of 45, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I always install 7-zip 9 (last version supported on 98). I can't tell the difference practically between it and later versions; has exactly the same functionality and works perfectly.

There is a bug in earlier versions in the sense that if you try and open a pic (jpeg, jpg, gif, etc.) inside a zip file, then 7-zip deletes the temporary file before it opens the file, resulting in an error that it cannot find the file. Later versions fixed this problem.

Reply 10 of 45, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As i know.

Last updates for Windows 98 were:
IE6 with SP1 (Might be a requeriment to some programs)
VMP7.1 (FE) and 9 (SE)
.Net Framework 1.0/1.1 SP1 and 2.0 (no service packs) (Might be a requeriment to some programs)
VC++ 2005 redist (Might be a requeriment to some programs)
Windows Installer 2.0 (maybe be included with other programs like OpenOffice)
GDI+ redist (Might be a requeriment to some programs)
Microsoft Layer for Unicode (unicows.dll) (Might be a requeriment to some programs): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confi … on.aspx?id=4237

As office suite:
OpenOffice 2.4.x or any MS Office version up to Office XP (Office 2002)

About software, many of them were already mentioned here though

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 11 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote:

About office suites: I didn't include any office suite because my goal was having a light system.

You want a "light system" with Gimp, Abiword, Gnumeric, and an EPROM burner, but an office suite is going too far..?

OpenOffice 2.4.2 is the latest version supported, and any LibreOffice requires Windows 2000 or later.

I've seen posts about Sumatra users compiling the sources for Windows 98, but I haven't (yet) seen any official version that supports it.

Well, I guess that post I linked to must be wrong then. 😒

Reply 12 of 45, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you're right. I guess GIMP is the heaviest tool I want to install (but maybe I won't install it at all).

Abiword and Gnumeric are "light" opposed to a full featured suite. Obviously, I could install Works 4.0 that would be way lighter but Abiword is a balance between lightweight and features (=opening modern documents). The EPROM burner is a must tool (I've got only two computers with onboard parallel port, and the other is going to be scrapped), but it does not use too much memory/hard disk space (and there are no alternatives).

As wikipedia states, OpenOffice 2.4.3 is the last version supported on Windows 98/ME, in threads on forums they say it is 2.4.2. Note that maybe 3.x would work, and no doubt there are higher versions running over kernelex. But that are unsupported, and my goal was to list software that was meant to run on Windows 98. Other example would be 7zip. Checking the readme, 9.22 says that can run on Windows 98 but 9.34 does not. I guess that 9.34 could run on Windows 98 but again it's not meant to do it (BTW, wikipedia says that the last StarOffice version that supports Windows 98 is StarOffice 😎.

About Sumatra... looking into its forum it seems that it was never supported on Windows 98. Can it run? Some versions are said to run, but again: nothing official. So I guess I'd need another lightweight PDF reader (FoxIt used to be a good alternative, but latest versions are crappy).

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 13 of 45, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd refrain from installing dx 9 on win98. It can cause all sorts of issues. 8.1 is as far as I go since I found it breaks compatibility with some older games / software, and it's almost impossible to roll back from, usually requiring a complete OS reinstall.

Reply 14 of 45, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I'd refrain from installing dx 9 on win98. It can cause all sorts of issues. 8.1 is as far as I go since I found it breaks compatibility with some older games / software, and it's almost impossible to roll back from, usually requiring a complete OS reinstall.

Can you be more specific please? any examples?

Reply 15 of 45, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've looking into my (few) game boxes, and I've found that Fahrenheit and Beyond Good and Evil both supports Windows 98 and require DirectX 9.0. It may not be true, because both are re-releases and maybe the games are using older versions of DirectX (but are shipped with DirectX 9.0).

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 45, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doppler wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Can you be more specific please? any examples?

Ok, here's why I would not recommend DX9 on win98:
- firstly most win98 boxes won't be running DX9 games, so having dx9 installed is of no practical use. The only DX9 win98 compatible cards I know are the FX series , the 6xxx, some r300 based radeon 9xxx series cards (late radeon 9000, the 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800) and the x800 series.

Second, very few win98 compatible titles support DX9, as Zup pointed out:

Zup wrote:

I've looking into my (few) game boxes, and I've found that Fahrenheit and Beyond Good and Evil both supports Windows 98 and require DirectX 9.0. It may not be true, because both are re-releases and maybe the games are using older versions of DirectX (but are shipped with DirectX 9.0).

Third, DX9c sometimes requires files not present in win98, causing some anomalies (take this with a grain of salt, I've yet to experience such problems).

Problems that I have experienced:
- issues with 3dfx cards - predominantly voodoo 2, banshee and voodoo 3 cards, where they would perform poorly or games would outright refuse to run on them (Homeworld 1, voodoo 3000, Dx9 installed)
- some games either perform poorly (unreal, freelancer), become unstable (unreal, dungeon keeper II, unreal tournament), show graphical corruption (NFS Porsche) or outright refuse to run.
- issues with older nvidia drivers (with no dx9 driver support). I've seen this in forceware 2x, 3x and early 4x drivers. The system becomes unstable and might bsod (nvidia driver DLL or VXD based).

Reply 17 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Third, DX9c sometimes requires files not present in win98, causing some anomalies (take this with a grain of salt, I've yet to experience such problems).

If that was the case, there would surely be a bazillion reports of that problem by now, and another bazillion repetitions of the same old fix that everyone would know.

- issues with 3dfx cards - predominantly voodoo 2, banshee and voodoo 3 cards, where they would perform poorly or games would outright refuse to run on them (Homeworld 1, voodoo 3000, Dx9 installed)

But there were never any drivers for those Voodoo cards that supported DX9.

- issues with older nvidia drivers (with no dx9 driver support). I've seen this in forceware 2x, 3x and early 4x drivers. The system becomes unstable and might bsod (nvidia driver DLL or VXD based).

If they have no DX9 driver support, how would the presence of DX9 be an issue? I'd also say that VXD drivers were never very stable.

Reply 18 of 45, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll relate my experience with my Pentium II rebuild.

After installing Windows 98, I immediately did upgrades, including DirectX 7. THEN I tried to install Final Fantasy VII (uses DirectX 5). Well, the FMVs refused to run, period. Nothing I did solved the problem, short of a wipe and reload of Windows 98. Doing THAT, I installed FF7 first, with its bundled DirectX 5. Game works like a charm. Then I upgraded DirectX to 7 and FF7 still works perfectly fine.

So it seems that games that don't use DX7 will try to use DX5 files that it calls for. If those files aren't there, it won't run.

I'd only upgrade DirectX to the required versions for games, now. Let the game itself install what it needs to play. Because honestly, are you really seeing any gains or improvements by upgrading your copy of DirectX if the game doesn't even use the updated version? Shit, I had to TELL Final Fantasy 14 on my modern PC to use DX11 and I'm running Windows 10 with DX12 installed and a fully-DX12 compatible card (GTX 980Ti), but it still only uses DX11...because I told it to. Otherwise, it would run in DX10 or DX9 mode (not sure which).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 19 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

Well, the FMVs refused to run, period. Nothing I did solved the problem, short of a wipe and reload of Windows 98.

I remember having a similar problem. It was just a matter of having the right codec. Installing the latest version of Media Player 6 did the trick for some reason. Not sure why the particular sequence of steps you followed resulted in something different – it is surely a quirk of the installer rather than some obscure missing DirectX feature.