VOGONS

First post, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long story short, bought this NCR System 3200 off Ebay for $25. Seller stated the power supply was buzzing. After I got it the power supply blew up as I was testing the voltages. Replaced it after doing some searching, only to have that power supply blow up as well. Seller sent me another one free of charge. By then I didn't have time to mess around with the computer, so it sat in the shed for almost a year.

Fast-forward to last week, I finally pulled out the computer and power supply. After examining the board, and the case, I counted six metal screw studs and only five mount holes on the board. That might not seem like a big deal...until you realize that one of those studs is covered over by the board, and in close proximity to the power connector. I suspect that it was causing a short that back-fed into the power supplies. So, wrapped the exposed metal stud in electrial tape, and went to test the power supply, and...nothing.

Turns out the power supply had a blow fuse. No biggie - two trips and a replaced fuse later, and BOOM. Power supply was fried.

At this point I was fuming pretty hard, so I hacked off the power connector with ample length of wire, found a 24pin to 20pin ATX adapter, hacked off the 20pin connection, spliced the appropriate wires to each end, and connected it to one of my spare ATX PSUs.

What happened next was no short of surprising, because I was certain that the motherboard must have been fried at some point - the damn thing booted right up. The only complaint it had was a dead battery.

So...now that I know that it works, I just need to find a SFF or USFF ATX power supply to fit into the case, and I'll have a working system.

The system (Orange power button is inside for safekeeping):
rPgHzem.jpg

The homemade adapter:
VcpGZ9v.jpg

The workshop:
haZqnRk.jpg

The setup:
om4h79V.jpg

Close-up of the setup:
DA3U23W.jpg

WE HAVE BOOT:
qNWOBZg.jpg

A nice fit:
SncJ6N6.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice job so far.... 😀 Crafting an ATX to AT converter cable are cool to make.
Having collected the right stuff, makes one able to do these sort of things for near or allmost free.
Not to say that they are ultra cheap on eBay, it's just so much more fun doing it personally.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Having collected the right stuff, makes one able to do these sort of things for near or allmost free.
Not to say that they are ultra cheap on eBay, it's just so much more fun doing it personally.

Yeah, and maybe even better, you don't have to wait a month or two for delivery 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

Funny how it never dawned on me at first that I could just snip the connection off the power supply and wire it to an adapter. Even though it is a proprietary connection, NCR was nice enough to use standardized color-coded wiring (which were also labeled on the PSU circuit board). That would have saved me from wasting $25, and invest in a new and safer ATX power supply.

There are a few options I've found so far that might fit this case, like a 1U server PSU which also has the -5V rail. I want to minimize modifications to the back of the case to accommodate a new PSU, or eliminate it altogether.

Reply 5 of 10, by YNS89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I ve recently bought this computer. Can any of you guys share the specs of this computer?
I want to know the slots on the motherboard. Can I install an ISA card to it? Cause the mainboard seems so small to me, not sure which types of cards I can add/or not?!

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 10, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a 16MHz Intel 386SX. I believe it is expandable up to 5MB only; 1MB of RAM soldered to the board, and four memory expansion slots. There are two 16bit ISA slots that sit on a riser card.

Reply 8 of 10, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
YNS89 wrote:

Thanks so much Brickpad, this means I can install an ISA sound card. 😀

No problem. And just so you know if you check the back of the case, there's a volume control switch for what I assume is for the internal PC speaker.

Reply 9 of 10, by YNS89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think should I install an ISA graphics card as well?

I dont have a chance to test games on it at the moment.
Is the current vga card( I think it's onboard) enough for late 80's early 90's dos games? ( such as wolfenstein,sensible soccer, test drive 3)
I'm sorry for the consecutive questions..

Reply 10 of 10, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i have also one, a 486SX 😀

Nice Find.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board