VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard that motherboards for the Pentium in the 90's at one time used cache-on-a-stick for it's L2. I heard this was unlovely versus older style cache on earlier Pentium boards. Something caused by less than clean electrical connection or something. What were the problems and what happened with these boards?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 14, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well simply its just another the PC has to access. It seems so impractical really. No matter what having the cache built into a CPU was always the better route. Im sure others can talk more about all this.

Reply 2 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had two Pentiums with a burst cache module. Never had a problem. Perhaps some boards and/or modules had lousy quality connectors. But mine didn't suffer any problems. It's very similar to a PCI slot, just a tiny edge connector. It's used for tons of hardware, and generally not very troublesome.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket 5 & 7 Motherboard VGA Benchmark comparison

Alot of Pentium boards benched with several types of cache. Please note that the benches focuses on DOS gaming.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:

WOW, 50% of a cacheless Pentium 200 is used up playing a single 256kb mp3!!?? I had no idea these computers were so underpowered they can't even play a simple audio file efficiently... Hehe. Did WAV files take any less cpu power?

Depends on the player you use as well.
On my P133, I could play a 128 kbit mp3 with about 20-30% CPU using WinAMP.
If I used Sonique however, it would take 50-60%.
However, Sonique sounded notably better, because it had higher internal precision.

Reply 5 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Typically a P75 is sufficient to play a 128 kBit/s MP3. Also on the old machines Winamp was the player of choice as Scali mentioned already.
Cubic Player plays MP3s as well (I think it's based on the MaPlay code?!?) and a newer player is MPXPlay of course.
I am not sure how the current version of XMPlay compares in CPU usage against Winamp (2.95).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 14, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
Depends on the player you use as well. On my P133, I could play a 128 kbit mp3 with about 20-30% CPU using WinAMP. If I used Son […]
Show full quote
computergeek92 wrote:

WOW, 50% of a cacheless Pentium 200 is used up playing a single 256kb mp3!!?? I had no idea these computers were so underpowered they can't even play a simple audio file efficiently... Hehe. Did WAV files take any less cpu power?

Depends on the player you use as well.
On my P133, I could play a 128 kbit mp3 with about 20-30% CPU using WinAMP.
If I used Sonique however, it would take 50-60%.
However, Sonique sounded notably better, because it had higher internal precision.

In the W95 era I used a little-known audio player called Kjofol for my mp3 needs. I don't recall numbers, but it was giving me the lowest CPU usage of several players I tested on my P75 laptop (Thinkpad 755CX). It was also the first program I used that had a non-rectangular window and at the time the concept blew my mind. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

In the W95 era I used a little-known audio player called Kjofol for my mp3 needs.

Yes, I also used that for a while.

Reply 8 of 14, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel remarkably pedestrian in admitting I used Winamp like any other casual on my 95 machine. Of course, at this point I still didn't have MP3s -- I was using it to play audio CDs. This was in, like, 2002 -- I was using a hand-me-down system.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 10 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Typically a P75 is sufficient to play a 128 kBit/s MP3.

Typically we started collecting and playing 128kbps MP3s on 486 DX2/4s and Winamp, but we weren't doing anything else at the same time, not even moving the mouse 🤣 You would move the mouse to prevent the screensaver for appearing and you had a good chance of interrupting playback, depending on what it'd hover

Reply 11 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I commited a sin back in win95, I used realplayer for MP3's

Is self flagellation a sin?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 14, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computergeek92 wrote:

There was a time when playing back MP3 was a very demanding and CPU intensive activity. It took 2-3x the time to create the MP3, and it takes a lot of CPU to play it back. I remember playing an MP3 on a DX2-66 with a DOS-based player as well as WinPlay3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinPlay3). I downloaded a 2-3 MB MP3 file from usenet and was surprised at the sound quality - and that it was the full song! Oh, yes, it took a while to download that file on 14.4k. 😀

Reply 14 of 14, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GuyTechie wrote on 2016-09-20, 22:37:
computergeek92 wrote:

There was a time when playing back MP3 was a very demanding and CPU intensive activity. It took 2-3x the time to create the MP3, and it takes a lot of CPU to play it back. I remember playing an MP3 on a DX2-66 with a DOS-based player as well as WinPlay3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinPlay3). I downloaded a 2-3 MB MP3 file from usenet and was surprised at the sound quality - and that it was the full song! Oh, yes, it took a while to download that file on 14.4k. 😀

The good old days. How many nights spent on Napster downloading mp3's on a 14.4kbps connection... Not much else you could have done on a DX4-100 while listening to mp3's (Win95), it was that CPU intensive..

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.