User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
That is a nice build OP. Similar to my own: […]
Show full quote

That is a nice build OP. Similar to my own:

I use a K6-3+ CPU OCd to 550Mhz, 256MB of ram, and an Aopen AX59-PRO mainboard. Until recently I used a Riva TNT2 PRO, but since I started playing at 1600x1200 I switched to my Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS.

Regarding sound - I use a YMF744 DS-XG for windows 98 - mostly because I play quite a few DOS games under windows 98 dosbox, and those have MIDI music. For pure DOS I use a GUS Clone - Primax Soundstorm M16C. The GUS only runs in DOS, and since it' non-pnp it doesn't show up in windows at all as long as you don't install drivers. The Yamaha card requires a TSR to work in dos, so as long as it's not loaded, all DMA and IRQs are available for the GUS. The only place they bump heads under both OSes is the address - the GUS uses 240h while the yamaha uses 220h.

Regarding the yellowing - you can try retro-bright - strong peroxide solution or cream (at least 15% concentration, 20% or more preferred) + direct sunlight or UV lamp. I find myself liking yellowing more and more, since it shows the machines age and gives it character, so as long as it's relatively uniform and I have bay covers of similar yellowing I don't mess with this "retro plastic patina".

Thanks! Likewise, that's a very nice system you have there. I really like the case!

I wish i could run the K6+ variants of CPU but being a P5A version 1.06 board i understand there are issues surrounding those CPU's and the board. I actually have two YMF724 sound cards (Labways & Aopen) but i really want to put the ISA card to use 😀 Considering it has a OPL4 chip on it makes it interesting. The PCI YMF cards do sound awesome through Win98 Dosbox, especially with the PowerYMF extended sound set. I might install one in my PIII Tualatin along with the Vortex 2 thats currently in there.

Regarding the Yellowing it is something i want to tackle. I can appreciate a small bit, but this thing is Cheeseblock-esque and it needs sorting. 🤣 🤣