VOGONS

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you use to clean scuffed, marked, dirty beige boxes?

There are a few that could probably use some retr0bright, but most just need a little cleaning to get the dirt and grime off.

I've had some bad experiences with using alcohol on one of my newer black-colored cases. It got the dirt off, but the color wiped right off in the process. Came right off the sides, bezel, even the CD covers! 😒

My best results have been using a sponge and dish detergent and water, but it takes a lot of time and elbow grease and it's kinda messy. Plus I'm constantly drying the case while I'm washing, to prevent water from sneaking into the steel chassis.

Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used Windex for grime and Mr Clean Magic Erasers for permanent marker removal. The Magic Eraser seems to take away the yellowing too, but it will take some elbow grease and will cause scratches on glossy surfaces. Maybe not the best options, but works for me in a pinch.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most permanent marker ink is alcohol-based and can be removed with 70%+ cleaning or medicinal alcohol (50% alcohol will also work, but you'll need to rub the marker with a tissue). However, the alcohol can also dissolve certain paints or printed markings.

Another option is washing and scrubbing the parts in hot! water, but then some plastics may warp.

Reply 3 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using Marisol AP, an alkaline all purpose detergent for marine usage, diluted with hot water. Works great, but hard to source ashore.

I'd guess heavy duty floor cleaning agents are somewhat like it in their composition.

Reply 6 of 15, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use 70-90% isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with distilled water for almost all of my cleaning needs. For a case i spray the case with this let it set, wipe. For stubborn cleaning spray, soak magic eraser with same solution, rub gently. If that doesn't do it... same procedure and add more pressure. I also use microfiber cloths.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 7 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I want a thorough cleaning, I go with water and dish detergent; for just a quick tidying I use cotton pads soaked in isopropyl alcohol.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 8 of 15, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel I need to echo what a lot of people are saying. For bigger jobs I'll break out the Dawn and hot water and take things slow and steady, but for getting rid of sticker residue (in the absence of goo-b-gone) I'll be very careful with some 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and scrub the living daylights out of the affected area. Works wonders in my case, I haven't had any issues with that strategy before, but then I also don't generally come into contact with brittle or fragile plastics.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 11 of 15, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:

Cif cream is my go-to cleaner for them filthy beige boxes. 😀

WOW. I would have grabbed that dirty old thing too, I wouldn't be able to resist it either. Awesome work on that case.

In that post you talked about using scouring pads, is that the metal ones or the green plastic-fiber ones like this:
41Qi0wprwbL.jpg

Reply 12 of 15, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A number of you are reporting success with isopropyl alcohol - is it just me or is the paint on these old beige boxes a little tougher and more resistant than newer cases?

I was beside myself wiping down one of my newer black cases watching the paint come off, just because why wouldn't they use a plastic that's black to the core for the bezel/cd cover?

maybe undiluted 90% was a little rough 🤣. lesson learned.

Reply 14 of 15, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
beastlike wrote:

In that post you talked about using scouring pads, is that the metal ones or the green plastic-fiber ones like this:

The green ones, they're pretty safe for textured plastics like old PC cases but don't go overboard scrubbing - they can still cause damage.

beastlike wrote:

A number of you are reporting success with isopropyl alcohol - is it just me or is the paint on these old beige boxes a little tougher and more resistant than newer cases?

Indeed you should exercise caution when using solvents like alcohol on painted plastics, especially with modern, cheaply made stuff.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 15 of 15, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Retr0bright works wonders for yellow plastic surfaces.

Oxy Clean spray / gel works great too. just remember to wrap you yellowed plastic item in plastic wrap before laying it out in the sun.