VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

it's me again, trying to make a DX4-100 VLB build and failing hard.
This time it is an ASUS VL/I-SV2GX4 and an Intel 486 DX4 100 MHz which I'm trying to build together.
However, when I start the system, it POSTs and when it tries to boot from floppy or hdd, it stops right after "Starting MS-DOS", regardless of the boot source.

I've tried various VLB I/O cards and VLB VGA cards, as well as several hard disks below 8GB (even one with 200MB) and also several memory sticks.

What I came across however, was that sometimes when POSTing, the BIOS would say that the floppy drive failed. Also, sometimes I get the beep code for faulty video memory. Sometimes I have to wiggle around with the vga card a bit, sometimes a reset is enough and sometimes I had to reseat the vga card to get it POSTing again.

I think this is more a bad contact on the ISA or VLB bus than a faulty card.

What surprises me however, is that regardless of what I try, the main error always is the same and nothing I did, changed anything regarding this. The system just stops after writing "Starting MS-DOS".

any ideas to start searching? try a non vlb i/o card? reflash (newer) BIOS? try another CPU?

As this mobo does have a coin cell battery, there is absolutely no corrosion. also, the motherboard isn't bent.

thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sounds like a cache config problem, check your jumper settings. It could also be that the CPU settings/j umpers are incorrect, and is set for writeback mode, while the DX 100 normally only supports writethrough.

Full manual for this board have been uploaded by Artex here on Vogons.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 12, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

This sounds like a cache config problem, check your jumper settings. It could also be that the CPU settings/j umpers are incorrect, and is set for writeback mode, while the DX 100 normally only supports writethrough.

Full manual for this board have been uploaded by Artex here on Vogons.

I checked the whole manual and all jumpers before powering on the board for the first time.
The board has 8 W24257AK-15 as cache and one W24257AK-15 as TAG ram.
the jumpers are configured for 8 chips and 256k so i guess thats correct.
maybe i should try to reseat the cache and tag?

Reply 3 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try if it boots with external cache disabled in BIOS first.

CPU jumpers are kind of a journey with this board, esp. if you want write-back enabled. Check and re-check jumpers on the I/O card too.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please check that L1 cache is set to WT both in BIOS and on CPU jumpers.

Only have it set to WB if your CPU is a &EW model (Intel i486DX4-100 &EW)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 12, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it!!!
Thanks all for the help!

Actually, this processor IS the &EW variant and I did jumper the board for the &E type CPU.
As soon as I disabled the internal L1 cache in BIOS, the system started booting so I kept looking into the jumper settings and finally set it to

JP16 1-2, 5-6 short for WT (didn't short 1-2 and 5-6 as I'm wanting WB)
JP17 1-2, 5-6 short
JP18 1-2 short
JP19 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 short
JP20 All Open for 3x clk
JP21 2-3 short for WT (didn't short 2-3 as I'm wanting WB)
JP22 1-2, 4-5 short

now everything seems to work, I will continue to report here and maybe start a new thread, introducing this nice little build to all of you.

Thanks again!!

Reply 7 of 12, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: Speedsys shows no L2 cache, although, when booting it shows 256KB in the summary.

Internal and External Caches are enabled in BIOS and jumper cache config is also double-checked.

What could be the problem?
I have nine pieces of W24257AK-15 as cache on the board.

thanks!

Reply 8 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:
Update: Speedsys shows no L2 cache, although, when booting it shows 256KB in the summary. […]
Show full quote

Update: Speedsys shows no L2 cache, although, when booting it shows 256KB in the summary.

Internal and External Caches are enabled in BIOS and jumper cache config is also double-checked.

What could be the problem?
I have nine pieces of W24257AK-15 as cache on the board.

thanks!

Maybe you can try setting tighter cache timings in the BIOS? I have a 486 motherboard that does not get its cache detected by SpeedSys or CacheChk with the default settings but if I set the timings manually to a less conservative value it works fine.

Reply 9 of 12, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok now, nothing i tried helped. I'm pushing the board to its limits, regarding timings and speed, getting decent results even without L2 cache. With L2 however, performance would be even better, I guess.

i tried all bios settings, even shorted JP21 3-4, which gave me an additional performance boost (maybe L1 WB got finally enabled completely).
during POST, the 256KB cache are shown as present.
Speedsys results don't vary if I disable L2 cache in the BIOS.
I have BIOS version 0401.

i have
JP16 1-2, 5-6 open
JP17 1-2, 5-6 short
JP18 1-2 short
JP19 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 short
JP20 All Open for 3x clk
JP21 3-4 short
JP22 1-2, 4-5 short

JP5, JP6 1-2 short

according to the pdf manual, the htm files and text file infos in https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/files/ASUS_486S … _and_manual.zip

i did read this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp. … ips/O1uZAsY8i6w
and this: How to set Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (SiS471) into L2:Write-through mode?, however I didn't understand why one would like to have L2 cache in WT mode, instead of WB mode...
and this: https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/tag/fake-cache/

i did try 2x16MB sticks and various 1x16MB sticks, all FPM i believe, as EDO wouldn't even POST in this board, AFAIK. Also, a few months earlier I looked up the IC names of my sticks and then wrote FPM on FPM modules to be able to distinguish between EDO and FPM.

i even reseated all the cache chips.
do I need to update my BIOS?
would have to hot flash it in another board then and first find a suitable EEPROM... 😵

@artex: you seem to have the exact same setup as I do (regarding CPU, cache and board). see: Artex's Build of the Week: Intel DX4 100 Write Back Enhanced - the Classic!
would you share your jumper settings with me? I'd be extremely grateful...

these are my results:

IMG_1298.JPG
Filename
IMG_1298.JPG
File size
580.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

UPDATE!!!!
found it!! basically i had to jumper for P24D, that's really a mistery for me.

cpu.PNG
Filename
cpu.PNG
File size
156.31 KiB
Views
File license

new speedsys results:

IMG_1299.JPG
Filename
IMG_1299.JPG
File size
572.57 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 12, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Sorry for the late response. Glad you got it working.

no worries, thanks for stopping by!

jesolo wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, what is your motherboard's BIOS revision?

I have BIOS version 0401