VOGONS

First post, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My current retro system that I use for gaming is a Pentium 100 MHz. I restored it in 2010 with the intent of having a retro machine that can cover as much of 90s DOS games as possible - mostly favoring older games rather than maximizing later (1997+) games or general framerates (DOOM, Quake, Descent, etc).

I recently acquired a few motherboards with processors for a few bucks each. One processor socketed in one of those boards is a Pentium 200 MMX.

I put the mobo on the bench, added some RAM, video card, power supply, etc., and loaded some games on a spare hard drive to start testing out the speed while leaving my Pentium 100 system intact to just continue gaming for the moment. The 200 MMX system has a few issues I am ironing out, but seems to do quite better - like "wow" better - on things like Duke Nukem 3D and Descent. Doom is quite comfortable as well.

I am still somewhat on the fence regarding the upgrade, and I am wondering if any of you have faced the same choice before. The first question to any question like this is - what do you want to play on it? I will list a few games here - mostly picking out some usual suspects of speed and see what you guys think.

Favoring Pentium 100 MHz, perhaps -
Syndicate, Sierra adventure games, LucasArts adventure games (Monkey Island (CD), Loom (CD), Indiana Jones LC/FoA, Wing Commander, Jazz Jackrabbit and other Epic Megagames games, Duke Nukem I/II, etc. Numerous titles featured here and more, honestly - http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

Favoring Pentium 200 MHz MMX, perhaps -
Doom, Quake, Tomb Raider, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent, Forsaken, Need for Speed II SE (?), Mechwarrior 2 (?)

I didn't list all of the games, obviously - and it is possible that some of the slow down utilities like moslo and patches like TPPatch can even the odds a bit. I honestly can't get Wing Commander to cooperate with the Pentium 100 alone (I think that guy wants a 386-25)

Another kink to throw into the mix is that I still have access to some of my other systems - including a 486SX-33. Obviously that would help split the difference if (more likely "when") I restore it and shift certain games to other machines, however I would like to have this one single system cover as wide a gamut as possible - including not rebooting for cache or config.sys reasons. The 100 MHz seems like quite a sweet spot at the moment - thus causing me to post this thread while I try stuff on the bench system.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 1 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go with the 200MMX personally, it's a much more useful system for DOS gaming because it can handle most SVGA games pretty well too, where the 100 will struggle. And you're already running into issues with speed sensitive games with the 100MHz so that's not really a factor I wouldn't have thought, unless your 100MHz system has a useable turbo function.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully it supports the test mode registers, but there's no guarantee with an MMX chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I'd go with the 200MMX personally, it's a much more useful system for DOS gaming because it can handle most SVGA games pretty well too, where the 100 will struggle. And you're already running into issues with speed sensitive games with the 100MHz so that's not really a factor I wouldn't have thought, unless your 100MHz system has a useable turbo function.

No turbo function available, sadly. Thanks for commenting - I actually saw you mention Syndicate in the speed issues thread. On the Pentium 100 (with SB16), it does a really weird glass break sound effect just after the last sound effect prior to entering a mission. It is still playable. On the 200 MMX (with an SB32 in bad need of work), it freezes before the mission start (black screen). Of course, I might be comparing American Revolt to whatever version I moved over. I can always fresh install a copy from my box, but there is one possible issue of moving between the two.

gdjacobs wrote:

Hopefully it supports the test mode registers, but there's no guarantee with an MMX chip.

Will have to give it a go with setmul.

luckybob wrote:

try out the 200. worst case scenario you have to put the 100 back in.

Kinda doing the side by side thing at the moment. Maybe after I finish Betrayal at Krondor, I will drop it in and "work the library of games" a little bit.

Half-Saint wrote:

Back in the day, I upgraded from a Pentium 133 to a Pentium 200 w/o MMX. Never looked back.

Heh. My jump was from the Pentium 100 to a Pentium II 266 - a system I no longer have.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 6 of 7, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My leapfrog went something like this:

(1990) Commodore-64
(1992) 486-33MHz (8MB RAM) [MS-DOS/Windows 3.1]
(1996) Pentium 100MHz (16MB RAM 72-pin EDO) [Windows 95]
(1999) Pentium II 350Mhz (128MB PC-100) [Windows 98FE]
(2002) Athlon 1800+ 1.53GHz (256MB DDR-133) [Windows XP]
(2005) Pentium M 2.1 GHz (2GB DDR2-667) [Windows XP]
(2008) Core 2 Duo E7300 2.67GHz Dual-Core (4GB DDR2-800) [Windows Vista]
(2010) Core i7-860 2.8GHz Quad-Core (16GB DDR3-1600) [Windows 7]
(2015) Core i7-6700K 4.0Ghz Quad-Core (16GB DDR4-3200) [Windows 10]

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 7 of 7, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also underclock the Pentium MMX by dropping the multiplier if is possible (locked multipliers wasn't a thing back then)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems