VOGONS

First post, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So two weekends ago at a vintage computer convention I bought an Nvidia GeForce MX440 (Geforce 4 MX) that I had intended to use for my Dell Dimension 4100, the specs of which are in my signature. Unfortunately when I came home with it, not only did I notice the card was in fact a GeForce FX 5200, but the capacitors were busted and it was useless. Thankfully it was only $10 and it would cost about the same to buy a new card as it would to replace the capacitors. Everywhere I've read I've been told the FX 5200 is inferior to the MX440, so I'm looking to get one of those.

There are lots of MX440s from many different manufacturers on eBay. Which one was considered the best, if any? Also, I feel like an MX440 would be a good fit for this machine, but is there anything out there better at a similar price point? I'm probably not looking into paying more than $30 or so for a GPU for this machine. I was thinking I would probably prefer to get a GeForce but I am also open to ATI card suggestions. I'm just not really familiar with how well the Radeons competed with Nvidia's offerings during the 2001-2003 period.

Last edited by ElementalChaos on 2016-09-23, 02:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 1 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a P3-866 running ME, I would recommend a GF4 Ti4600. You may have to do a little hunting to find one for less than $30, but you can probably get a GF4 Ti4400 for less than that. The GF4 Ti4600 is a classic card and my favorite GF. You have to be careful because it is easy to mistake a Ti4400 for a Ti4600.

Reply 2 of 14, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ti4600 is a great card.

If you really want a MX440 I would really recommend a Quadro4 380 XGL instead. They only come in one configuration so no gimped models, and the build quality is high. Just use the same drivers you would with the MX440 series.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 14, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the Radeon side if you find a Radeon 9550 those seem to be pretty good and the equivalent of a FX5600 or so, and cheap as the fx5200 cards. I used one for awhile and liked it at least for what it was 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 14, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:

If you really want a MX440 I would really recommend a Quadro4 380 XGL instead. They only come in one configuration so no gimped models, and the build quality is high. Just use the same drivers you would with the MX440 series.

Quadros are a nice solution if you are looking for something inexpensive but nice quality. Quadros are basically industrial versions of the retail GF models. For example, the Quadro DCC is basically a GF 3. It is a tiny bit slower than the GF 3. The Quadro DCC/GF3 will be a better performer than the MX440, I believe. This Quadro DCC is only $10 and is a nice value if it is in working condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nVIDIA-GF3-Quadro-64M … 7-/152243493214

Reply 5 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElementalChaos wrote:

Everywhere I've read I've been told the FX 5200 is inferior to the MX440

I had heard they were pretty much the same, except that the 5200 supported a couple of newer features. In any case both of them are really resoundingly crappy cards and there is no need to stick with them when something like the aforementioned Ti4600 is readily available and relatively inexpensive. They might both be called "Geforce 4", but that is just an early example of a horrifically misleading marketing gimmick.

Reply 6 of 14, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aww man, it was mislabelled AND it didn't work? Bummer. 🙁 If I had known I would have suggested something else. Not that there was much there that was worthwhile...

The thing with the MX440 is it's the (second) most powerful Nvidia DX7 card. AFAICR from a few threads on here, Geforce 3 and later can cause problems with certain 95- and 98-era 3D games. Searching now though, I can't find anything conclusive, so I dunno.

If you're still set on a MX440, I'd either look for a Quadro4 380XGL like squareguy said or a MX440-8X. They're slightly newer and slightly faster than the vanilla one. Gpureview has a list of cards that shows which have non-standard clocks and memory width, but it's by no means comprehensive. Otherwise yeah, just go with a GF3/4Ti

Reply 8 of 14, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 5200 is by no means inferior to the mx440, but it's not very appropriate for a p3 rig.

For a P3 i would recommend a Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 Ti 4200 - form the red team a Radeon 8500 or 9500/9700 would do great.

The Ti4600 is a great card but a P3 can't take advantage of it. It will benchmark like a ti4200 on your machine, and the 4200 is easier to find and cheaper. To truly take advantage of a 4600 you need a fast p4 or athlon XP.

Reply 9 of 14, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI : GF MX440 does not support DirectX 8 and later (on a hardware level).
Basicly : MX440 is an overclocked GF2 MX (2x ROPs + 4x TMUs), with DDR VRAM and 128-bit memory bus.
So, anything that requires Shader Model 1.x will not work on it.

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Basicly : MX440 is an overclocked GF2 MX (2x ROPs + 4x TMUs), with DDR VRAM and 128-bit memory bus.

GF4MX also added support for NVidia's Twinview solution, so it was much more attractive for business users than the previous MX cards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 14, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

Besides higher clocks the GeForce4 MX series also had a new memory architecture and included the newest anti-aliasing tech. Otherwise they had GeForce2 derived features, which makes the top models some of the best DX7 cards ever made. One thing Nvidia's DX8+ offerings no longer had was adjustable texel alignment that fixed bugs in some games. For many things the additional power of the GF3/GF4/GFFX series comes in handy, but it depends on exactly what you want out of the build.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 14, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay. I went ahead and ordered an tested MSI GF4 TI4400 off eBay. I did also see an Asus TI4600 for cheap during my search, but seeing as it's untested and "as-is" with no refunds, I didn't want to take the risk after my FX 5200 incident. If anyone here is willing to take the plunge then here it is.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 13 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I assume things being sold as-is are junk.

I picked up a super cheap 4600 a couple of years ago. It was damaged though, only working at AGP 1x. But I found a burned up trace and managed to repair it. My guess is it had been installed improperly, come partly out of the AGP slot and it shorted. This can vaporize traces.

Reply 14 of 14, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Yeah I assume things being sold as-is are junk.

Same here, especially so when it comes with a non return policy, and a statement that it's untested, no matter how simple those tests would be to conduct. Assuming that he tells us the truth, he could at least have plugged it in, and check whether it posts or not. Personally I think it's more probable he tested it unsuccessfully, and now tries to sell it as untested in as-is condition.

swaaye wrote:

I picked up a super cheap 4600 a couple of years ago. It was damaged though, only working at AGP 1x. But I found a burned up trace and managed to repair it. My guess is it had been installed improperly, come partly out of the AGP slot and it shorted. This can vaporize traces.

That's interesting. Got what I believe is a reference Ti4600 in my Athlon rig, also only working at AGP 1x mode according to CPU-z. Always assumed it was some bug in CPU-z itself, a chipset related problem - the KT133A got its fair share of those - or maybe just a question of configuration. Never occurred to me that it could be a hardware problem. Good call, gonna check it out.