VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like other people who have posted, I also used Sun workstations during my time in college, although they were the Ultra series with Solaris 7 or 8. Most of our deliverables had to compile and run on those machines to be accepted as valid, so we had no choice but to use them all the time.

I have zero nostalgia when it comes to these, always thought the Solaris UI was really ugly and in general I think it is not a nice OS for non-server use, unless you need to run very specific software. I remember that even at the time (more than 15 years ago) Linux could provide a much better user desktop experience.

And most of all, they were really, REALLY slow. In addition, the home directories of the students were NFS mounted on a server, making things even slower.

Nothing against the servers though, I have frequently worked on systems running on Sun servers and they were very good.

Reply 22 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
NJRoadfan wrote:

$15 is too much. I remember the junk guys showing up with palettes of these things in the late 90s-early-00s to unload at computer shows (along with SGI Indys for some reason). They couldn't give the things away since getting them up and running was so damn expensive (SCSI everything, non-standard RAM, etc.) They weren't particularly useful for running software back then either.

I seen them SOLD for up to 150$ on eBay.