VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There aren't actually that many decent Voodoo only games - Screamer 2 is one, the first Tomb Raider is another (ok, that had versions for several dedicated cards). The remainder (Unreal, later Tomb Raiders), work just as well in Direct3D. Additionally, the first Tomb Raider now has high resolution textures that require a wrapper.

Reply 21 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To round it up:

- the GT610 PCI does not have win98 drivers -in fact I'm not even sure it has XP drivers (but it might)
- modern video card performance and compatibility on retro systems is questionable at best: my modern pci graphics card's (with onboard pci to pci-e reverse bridge) poor gaming performance in P3 rig
- nGlide and dgVoodoo glide emulation require quite a bit of horsepower - way more then a K6 and associated PCI video card can provide

So - you can emulate a voodoo card and pay most glide games via emulator (under windows) but you will require a quasi-modern computer to pull it off. I remember back in the day nglide would run on an FX5200, but it ran horribly. For best results you need at least an ATi X800 or geforce 6800, because what happens is these wrappers do more then translate glide to d3d - some wrappers emulate, others translate glide do ogl / d3d, witch increases load on the machine. If you insist on running win98 (do nglide and dgvoodoo still support win98?) you will need a fast 775/939/754 AGP rig. If you pan to run XP or newer, virtually ANY PC will do, so building a retro rig in this case is an exercise in futility.