VOGONS

Windows 3.11

Topic actions

First post, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering... is it Windows "Three point One One" or "Three point Eleven"? Or, for that matter, MSDOS "Six point Two Two" or "Six point Twenty Two"?

When I was younger and these things were popular I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that Windows 3.11 was just 0.01 better than Windows 3.1... but... was young RJDog right, or is it 10 minor versions after Windows 3.1...?

Reply 1 of 14, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Software version numbering generally does not follow many standards among companies, and even among different product lines of the same company. I suppose they may have called it MS-DOS 6.2.2 and Windows 3.1.1 instead, but also it is possible that there were several internal revisions of the product that were not released to the public. I guess only the development team of those products could explain the reasoning behind the versioning decisions, as it happens with most proprietary software. It may even have been a commercial/marketing decision.

You can find strange version numbering in other products as well, Firefox for example is currently on version 48.0 (!), one day they just decided to increment the major version on each new release and so you get that. The Solaris/SunOS version numbering is also strange, with Solaris major version generally being the corresponding minor SunOS version (but not always).

TL;DR: it's all pretty much random 😁

Reply 3 of 14, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NT major/minor versions were also nutty and OSX 10.X.XX is too. macOS 10.12- why not reset the numbers?
Basically developers don't care about making the numbers make sense to consumers, because ultimately it doesn't matter- they'll just want whatever is latest.

Reply 4 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always said Windows Three point One One and MSDOS Six point Two Two.

In the case of MSDOS, 6.2 had a defragger that violated some copyright, so they removed it and called it 6.21. 6.22 added a new defragger, so it was a minor upgrade, not the 22nd in a hidden sequence.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 14, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the end there is no real rhyme or reason except to denote that 3.1 is a newer version then 3.0 and 3.11 is a newer version then 3.1 and that is just the numbering the decided on. 3.11 is definitely the version immediately after 3.1 it is definitely not 10 versions newer.

Reply 6 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

3.11 is definitely the version immediately after 3.1 it is definitely not 10 versions newer.

I like this reasoning.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 14, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By default 3.11 cannot be installed on 286 but 3.1 can. I once tried (I have original 3.11 install floppies) and it gave error that at least 386 CPU is needed.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 8 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RJDog wrote:

I was wondering... is it Windows "Three point One One" or "Three point Eleven"? Or, for that matter, MSDOS "Six point Two Two" or "Six point Twenty Two"?

When I was younger and these things were popular I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that Windows 3.11 was just 0.01 better than Windows 3.1... but... was young RJDog right, or is it 10 minor versions after Windows 3.1...?

When do you ever read decimal places as if they were large numbers?

...would be my first response, but then you get companies like ATi that numbered their driver versions as 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, 4.11, etc. And in that case, it might be permissible to read them as "four point ten" for example.

Though this certainly wasn't the case for DOS and Windows. There was no 3.3 through 3.9 for Windows, nor 6.1 through 6.9 for DOS, so I would be inclined to read them as normal decimal numbers, "three point one one" and "six point two two" respectively.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I always said "three-eleven" but "Dos six-two-two".

A lot of software does number like x.8, x.9, x.10, x.11 though most is open source that does that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess it helps to think of versions as a different "thing" that uses dotted notation, rather than an actual decimal number.

Like how speaker setups use the (full range).(subwoofers) notation, like "five point one speakers", but it doesn't literally mean there are five-and-one-tenth speakers.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paadam wrote:

By default 3.11 cannot be installed on 286 but 3.1 can. I once tried (I have original 3.11 install floppies) and it gave error that at least 386 CPU is needed.

WfW 3.11 can't, but 3.11 can. WfW 3.1 can also run on a 286..

SRQ wrote:

NT major/minor versions were also nutty and OSX 10.X.XX is too. macOS 10.12- why not reset the numbers?.

MacOS X 10.10 = "Mac OS ten ten ten" 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:

In the case of MSDOS, 6.2 had a defragger that violated some copyright, so they removed it and called it 6.21. 6.22 added a new defragger, so it was a minor upgrade, not the 22nd in a hidden sequence.

IIRC, it was an issue Doublespace with being used in MS-DOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DriveSpace

Defrag AFAIK was fine since MS licensed that from Central Point Software.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
IIRC, it was an issue Doublespace with being used in MS-DOS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DriveSpace […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote:

IIRC, it was an issue Doublespace with being used in MS-DOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DriveSpace

Defrag AFAIK was fine since MS licensed that from Central Point Software.

I blame my age for my poor memory 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.