VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

I already own a Sivava Willem PCB50B programmer but I'd like to get rid of the LPT cable as well as having to mess with the DIP switches. The manual that comes with it is also a bit hit and miss, I found it to be quite badly written and occasionally very vague.

I'm currently looking at GQ4x4 and MiniPro TL866. Both are usb and fully automatic, no messing with DIP switches anymore 😀

Does anyone have first hand experience with any of those two?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 7, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own both. The MiniPro is great for simple stuff and super cheap. The reason I bought the GQ4x4 was to get support for 16-bit EPROMs as chips like the 27C322 are not supported in the MiniPro. The software for the GQ4x4 is also slightly better than the software for the MiniPro in my opinion - The GQ4x4 has a handy byte-swap option and the English in the MiniPro software is not always the best.

I had a few issues with the GQ4x4 drivers in Windows XP however with chips not being detected until I reinstalled the device driver and software. It's been reliable for a few months now though - I tend to use it for a few hours every weekend and the problem I had did not come back.

I'd say if you only want to read/write BIOS EPROMs the MiniPro is fine. There are adapters available to allow the MiniPro to write EPROMs like the 27C800 and 27C160 in banks but I rather just bought the GQ4x4 with the adapter for 16-bit chips instead of messing around with that.

Reply 2 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use the GQ-4X V4 Willem Programmer in windows 7. Never had a single issue. Sometimes with very old eproms, I dont have the right adapter, but they arent expensive, i'm just cheap and lazy.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TL866CS minipro because it can also program GAL chips and has a test function for 74 series ones.

I also have the GQ-3X but I was always annoyed by willem programmers not supporting GALs.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I might end up getting both but I found a really good deal - a MiniPro version A with a bunch of adapters, cables and a pomona clip for about $70 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own the TL866A which is great for general eeprom/gal/mcu programming. I also have a BlackCat USB which supports some extra large capacity eeproms that the TL866 doesn't.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 7, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just get one with an external power supply so you can correctly burn the higher 12 + 24v eeproms

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 7 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:

just get one with an external power supply so you can correctly burn the higher 12 + 24v eeproms

The TL866 has a built-in inverter; I have successfully used it for 15V and 18V EPROM chips.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O