VOGONS

First post, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
Is it possible to make floppy with soft to repair bad sectors in HDD? I have PC with win98, but now I cant unmount HDD and repair it in modern PC. I`ve be glad if you can guide me.

Reply 1 of 7, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only a matter of opening the computer and use a screwdriver. For the software part, then tell more about what computer it is. How does it look? Can it boot from a cd drive? If so, you might be able to use eighter hirens boot disk or ultimate boot disk.

Bad sectors are sometimes unrepairable parts of an harddrive. It might not be repairable anyway. Worth a try though.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 7, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nvidia TNT2 64 32mb
Celeron 800
2x Hynix 56 hym71v16635hct8-h 128mb 133mhz cl3
CT-6OIV2- CHAINTECH
3 sieciówki - genius k023b016 rev a
genius k023b016 rev a
planet enw-9504 v3

Sometimes Win98 freezes and only reboot help to slove this problem 😁
Othertimes it even not boot - frezes at win98 logo.
Now I`m scanning DRevitalize v1.2, maybe this soft will help.

Reply 3 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually you can't repair bad sectors and HDD with many bad sectors is not to be used as it might totally fail any moment (soon).

Use HDTune Windows program to Scan the disk. It will test and show you a map where are bad sectors located.

Sometimes full format (remove partitions, create new partitions and do a slow full format) will "fix" bad sectors as sectors are tested again and this time they might be readable.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About Windows freezing part... check the motherboard for bad capacitors, check CPU temperature, check memory with "Memtest", install new video drivers...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Piecho wrote:

Sometimes Win98 freezes and only reboot help to slove this problem 😁
Othertimes it even not boot - frezes at win98 logo.

Are you actually getting error messages like "Drive not ready reading drive C" that indicate a problem with the hard drive? I suppose bad sectors on the hard drive could conceivably cause those problems, but that would be among the least likely suspects.

Reply 6 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As others have said, it's not necessarily the hard drive. You need to determine if it indeed is. You didn't mention the model/brand of hard drive, but for example, Seagate has SeaTools and WD has Data Lifeguard Tools. You can use the manufacturer's testing software to know for sure if the drive is at fault.

I have found that writing zeros to a drive will often clear issues by forcing the drive to read each sector, learn about sector health, and swap spares in where needed. Of course, this means you'd have to reinstall your OS and software.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HDAT2 has a bunch of different test modes, some are more intense than others. At least one of them will read and rewrite everything back to the disk, which might prompt the drive to reallocate bad sectors to spare area.
The most stressful tests can get the drive pretty hot, so you might want to blow a fan over it.
It will also show the SMART data.

HDAT2 is included on the "ultimate boot CD". I don't know what the other options are for running it.