VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I got a problem here, my dual sk604 setup has hyper threading enabled Xeons but 2k does not see the seconds threads, even cpuz does not see hyperthreading.
If I remove one of the 2 cpu's 2k can use hyperthreading and centOS can use/see hyperthreading with both cpu's.

So anyone have any ideas ? would I need to install SP4 or something? or will I be stuck with a server version or XP?

Reply 2 of 5, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 2000 pro is limited to 2 CPU, and it doesn't understand cores so HT/Dual Core is understood to be CPUs. As far as I know. I.E there is no distinction between physical and logical processors of any sort. It was reasonable in the day :p
Server can use four.

Reply 4 of 5, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well like I said- 2K does not distinguish between logical and physical processes. Each thread is assumed to be a socketed processor- which is why HT can actually make it slower. If you use the Server edition, you can use up to four logical processors- which should cover you. I'm not sure what the Datacenter limit is.

Reply 5 of 5, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I'm adware that 2k can't use HT properly, but if there is away to use it id like to be able to for the fun of it.

You can hack the Windows 2000 Pro install CD to allow more than 2 CPUs. You can even change it on a live system but you risk making it unbootable.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices