VOGONS

First post, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've got this original Windows 95 floppy which is supposed to boot the CD Rom, or at least that's what it says on the label. But instead it just boots DOS, without support for anything? I've had this floppy since forever, it was shipped with my first computer 20 years ago and I have no memory of ever using it.

There is no CD driver loading command in AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS, and frankly I have no idea what this disk is for.

I've attached an image I made with DISKCOPY.

Filename
W95BOOT.zip
File size
621.5 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks that it's probably a rescue disk in case the computer doesn't boot anymore - based on the fact that it has a registry editor included...

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 7, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hm...

The original PC came with a reinstall CD and its boot disk, along with a CD of Windows 95 OEM and this floppy. The OEM manual doesn't say much, apart from "insert the disk and type install".

I suppose it is what you say it is, but its label is very misleading.
I've checked legit floppy pictures and they're slightly different in their wording.
Mine says "Disquette d'amorçage CD-ROM" (CD boot floppy)
The other copy I found is "disquette d'amorçage pour le CD-ROM d'installation" (install CD boot floppy)

Reply 3 of 7, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always used my own Windows 98 boot disk created from within Windows 98. It always boots with ATAPI CD-ROM support.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 7, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know most win95 disks are not bootable. Some are (late disks) but the ones I have are not. You're expected to boot from a win95 startup diskette or from dos with CD-ROM drivers loaded.

It makes sense since most 95-96 computers had no ability to boot from CD, and lots of win95 distributions came on 1000000000 floppy disks. The boot from CD feature appeared in 98 on late socket 7, super 7 and slot 1 boards.

Reply 6 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

lots of win95 distributions came on 1000000000 floppy disks

No, just 23. I have them all 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it says on the label that it's a CD boot floppy, then somebody probably overwrote it. Maybe somebody misunderstood what it was for and used it as a rescue disk.

I came across a Microsoft labeled CD boot floppy for either Win95 or 98 (don't remember which). As I recall it ended up not being very useful because it didn't have the additional tools that come with the boot disk you can make from inside Windows (not even FDISK). Not sure why but they left the disk basically empty. I think it did successfully load a CD driver but I don't actually remember that for certain.
It even had some messages on it that were clearly labeled as things the PC vendor/distributor were supposed to change. Kind of a weird disk and ultimately useless.