VOGONS

First post, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I need a BIOS update for my Aptiva to get support for AM5x86 CPUs.
Unfortunately the BIOS provided by this site does not work. Here's the mirrored archive link.
A diskette is created and after booting from it, the flash procedure loads up, but gets a flash ID mismatch. The included README.TXT also states, that it's not for my model (785)...

Does anyone have further sources for IBM (Aptiva) BIOS files?

<rant> Can't be, that there's no possibility to find and upgrade the BIOS for an IBM. I mean it's one of the main PC manufacturer. </rant>

- BIOS update seems to work, now old BIOS from 1994 is upgraded to 1998, please read on -

Last edited by marquisor on 2016-10-01, 10:11. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a little quick digging and found a mirror of the IBM BBS FTP something or other.

http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/ftp/mirr … dns.org/pccbbs/

Maybe you've already found this...there's a few BIOS updates in the aptiva directory.

Reply 2 of 13, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Already crawled through that stuff, see my links above.
I might try another model number soon, as the sticker with the model name doesn't have to be correct. Got a C-2 mainboard, though...

Reply 3 of 13, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you given p3flash a try? The North American 2144-6xP looks pretty similar spec wise to the 785...

Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I'm talking about 🤣

Reply 4 of 13, by marquisor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did. And it didn't want it in the first three tries. Suddenly in a next run it could flash the BIOS, finally. 😀
Now it is done and I have BIOS upgraded from 1994 to 1998 date.

Next problem: The upgrade CPU I want to install, an AMD 5x86-133, is now recognized (with 1994 BIOS it didn't even POST or showed IBM logo on screen), RAM counter is running up and then it hangs. What's the issue with that now?

Got two versions Am486 DX5-133W16BGC and AMD-X5-133ADZ both used with a voltage regulator adaptor, both don't boot, but POST, as far as I can judge that by counting up the whole RAM (and then hangs).

I also cannot get into BIOS anymore to setup anything. So in the end or after the POST process, something must be wrong.
Also can't figure out the correct jumper settings yet, but it looks like it takes anything and boots up even the original CPU 486 DX/2-66 with quite any jumper setting.

Reply 5 of 13, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know if and where is a SL-C Type C-1 BIOS update for the 2144-27P? This board was used in other models as well. If you have the two RAM socket board, chances are good that you have the Type C-1 instead of the four SIMM Type C-2 model. If you have a BIOS newer than 1994, please kindly send me a rom dump as I have a chip programmer and a chip eraser that uses ultraviolet light. If you need a 1994 bios rom, I have backed it up as well.

Edit: Apparently, the Type C-1 motherboard works fine with the Am5x86 provided a voltage regulator adapter is used on the current 1994 BIOS it came with. The 133MHz Am5x86 is detected as a 75MHz 486DX4 but I was able to see it just fine in Windows 95 C (OSR 2.5) via CPU-Z Vintage Edition. 2x which translates to 4x for this CPU was the only setting I needed. The Intel Overdrive (486DX4 100MHz) works fine as well. The Overdrive uses its own voltage regulator so there's no need for an adapter on the overdrives. The Pentium overdrive is not compatible as this is a socket 1 motherboard and you need a socket 3 motherboard for that. The evergreen Technologies 5x86 and similar CPU upgrades can just be installed directly as they have their own voltage regulator onboard. I used default settings here of 4x and WT. WB is untested as of this post. I'm guessing L2 Cache must be installed first as there is none.

Do make sure you set the jumpers to DX instead of SX to enable the FPU. Here's a link to the board's layout and jumper settings:

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/I … -APTIVA-21.html

This board has no sockets for cache but has a location for sockets and the BIOS reports 0KB so my guess is L2 can be installed and enabled on this board. I can use 2x32MB Parity FPM gold fingered modules for a total of 64MB. With this setup, Duke Nukem 3d Atomic Edition is just barely playable at 320x240 in Windows 95 C (OSR 2.5).

As for Larger hard drive support, one must use the XT-IDE ISA BIOS on a IDE controller. The reason for this is there's no way to tell the IBM BIOS there's no Hard drive installed to allow the XT-IDE BIOS to take over the onboard controllers to avoid conflicts. If this were possible, the XT-IDE BIOS could be flashed to an EEPROM located on an ISA NIC boot ROM to detect the larger drives properly.

Hope this research helps those out there as there's very little documentation for this board.

Reply 6 of 13, by bsgd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jkamm1985 wrote on 2021-06-15, 00:53:
Does anyone know if and where is a SL-C Type C-1 BIOS update for the 2144-27P? This board was used in other models as well. If y […]
Show full quote

Does anyone know if and where is a SL-C Type C-1 BIOS update for the 2144-27P? This board was used in other models as well. If you have the two RAM socket board, chances are good that you have the Type C-1 instead of the four SIMM Type C-2 model. If you have a BIOS newer than 1994, please kindly send me a rom dump as I have a chip programmer and a chip eraser that uses ultraviolet light. If you need a 1994 bios rom, I have backed it up as well.

Edit: Apparently, the Type C-1 motherboard works fine with the Am5x86 provided a voltage regulator adapter is used on the current 1994 BIOS it came with. The 133MHz Am5x86 is detected as a 75MHz 486DX4 but I was able to see it just fine in Windows 95 C (OSR 2.5) via CPU-Z Vintage Edition. 2x which translates to 4x for this CPU was the only setting I needed. The Intel Overdrive (486DX4 100MHz) works fine as well. The Overdrive uses its own voltage regulator so there's no need for an adapter on the overdrives. The Pentium overdrive is not compatible as this is a socket 1 motherboard and you need a socket 3 motherboard for that. The evergreen Technologies 5x86 and similar CPU upgrades can just be installed directly as they have their own voltage regulator onboard. I used default settings here of 4x and WT. WB is untested as of this post. I'm guessing L2 Cache must be installed first as there is none.

Do make sure you set the jumpers to DX instead of SX to enable the FPU. Here's a link to the board's layout and jumper settings:

This board has no sockets for cache but has a location for sockets and the BIOS reports 0KB so my guess is L2 can be installed and enabled on this board. I can use 2x32MB Parity FPM gold fingered modules for a total of 64MB. With this setup, Duke Nukem 3d Atomic Edition is just barely playable at 320x240 in Windows 95 C (OSR 2.5).

As for Larger hard drive support, one must use the XT-IDE ISA BIOS on a IDE controller. The reason for this is there's no way to tell the IBM BIOS there's no Hard drive installed to allow the XT-IDE BIOS to take over the onboard controllers to avoid conflicts. If this were possible, the XT-IDE BIOS could be flashed to an EEPROM located on an ISA NIC boot ROM to detect the larger drives properly.

Hope this research helps those out there as there's very little documentation for this board.

Hi jkamm1985,

Do you have the 1994 ROM dump from the C1 Aptiva? I have been looking for this for ages without luck! If possible, please share it, I have a an old Aptiva that needs a nw bios chip to get up and running.

Thank you very much!

Reply 7 of 13, by Geoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bsgd wrote on 2021-12-07, 01:57:
Hi jkamm1985, […]
Show full quote
Does anyone know if and where is a SL-C Type C-1 BIOS update for the 2144-27P? This board was used in other models as well. If y […]
Show full quote

Hi jkamm1985,

Do you have the 1994 ROM dump from the C1 Aptiva? I have been looking for this for ages without luck! If possible, please share it, I have a an old Aptiva that needs a nw bios chip to get up and running.

Thank you very much!

I dumped the original BIOS of my IBM Aptiva 2144-754 (Service Level C)

___

Howewer, I did not manage to update this Computer using "p3flash" or "pflash" like the OT did, because of an ID mismatch. Seems like the flash utility does not like the exotic German BIOS that is already on there.

UPDATE: This particular machine has an ST Microelectronics EPROM, so this has to be replaced/burned for an upgrade. The sticker says:

P/N 96G0925
LE[C]IBM
17/10/94

Attachments

• Filename
    2144754C.zip
    File size
    33.93 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Geoman on 2023-01-23, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

IBM Aptiva 2168-931

Reply 9 of 13, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the bios does not see it properly but Windows and DOS utilities can access it as fully 133.x MHz. I found that the PNY upgrade will work but I've uased the ceramic package with 3.3v interposer and hsf successfully as well.

Reply 10 of 13, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Geoman wrote on 2023-01-23, 12:52:
I dumped the original BIOS of my IBM Aptiva 2144-754 (Service Level C) […]
Show full quote
Hi jkamm1985, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi jkamm1985,

Thank you very much!

I dumped the original BIOS of my IBM Aptiva 2144-754 (Service Level C)

___

Howewer, I did not manage to update this Computer using "p3flash" or "pflash" like the OT did, because of an ID mismatch. Seems like the flash utility does not like the exotic German BIOS that is already on there.

UPDATE: This particular machine has an ST Microelectronics EPROM, so this has to be replaced/burned for an upgrade. The sticker says:

P/N 96G0925
LE[C]IBM
17/10/94

Any chance a Winbond W27C512-45Z DIP28 would work? I tossed a few of these and seem to work very well in another 486 board I've recently upgraded with MR. BIOS and XT-IDE. I plan on doing a XT-IDE on EEPROM attached to a NIC boot ROM socket for this board as well. I use a TL866CS for the projects in Windows 11 Pro. the XT-IDE cfg utility is wrapped inside a very nice DOSBox executable package i made using a menu system ripped from a GOG install for direct execution and runs basically like a Windows APP. I makes configuring XT-IDE a breeze. If ROM size is too large then use copy /B 1.bin + 2.bin out.bin command and add zeroes to end of file when programming the file in ROM programming utility. The zeroes part is done when loading the binary file in the ROM programming utilty. This works very well on the XT-IDE add-on BIOS ROM programming process.

Reply 11 of 13, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hi jkamm1985, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi jkamm1985,

Thank you very much!

Are you still looking for this BIOS dump? I will see if i can get you a ROM dump of this Board. Also, are you using the original power supply or ATX power supply with ATX to AT adapter? If using the latter, you will need to connect the purple +5VSB ATX lead to the three pin header on the board just to get it going. to use APM (Advanced Power Management), the green and black switch wires must be connected.

see here for photos:

APM question. Feel free to chime in!

Last edited by jkamm1985 on 2023-10-09, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by jkamm1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hi jkamm1985, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hi jkamm1985,

Thank you very much!

Dumped from a ST M27C1001 DIP32 EPROM using MiniPro v6.85 on a TL866CS programmer for the IBM APTIVA 2144-27P SL-C Type C-1 and compatibles. IBM 96G0925 (read from label covering the chip) 08-15-94 BIOS

Attachments