VOGONS

Socket 7 cpu with passive cooling

Topic actions

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible? I'm thinking about doing a new build but I want it to be fanless.
Is there such an option? Pentium p5 75Mhz perhaps? I prefer not to underclock, running it stock.
I don't need a speed demon either.

YouTube

Reply 1 of 61, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you could achieve this by undervolting the CPU ?

I ran a pentium MMX 200 at 2.5V instead of 2.8 (and I even overclocked it to 225 and 233MHz) and it was rock stable. I should try it on my super socket 7 to see how far I can go into undervolting

However be careful because it makes the regulator heat more if it's not designed for "high power" CPUs

Also some PCs were sold with no fan at all.
My IBM PC 340 has a pentium 100 and there was no fan on the radiator and neither anywhere in the computer (except for the PSU for obvious reasons)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 61, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Pentium 75 is able to run without heatsink without crashing (although the intense heat doesn't do it good). With a big heatsink it wouldn't be a problem to run Pentiums without active cooling. In Compaq systems (fitted with Pentium 75 ~ 100) I found heatsinks like these (not actual picture, but similar). I'm sure these will run fine on a Pentium 133 as well.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 3 of 61, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info. Starting from the late 486 era I've only seen active cooling, except for some special systems. A Pentium in the 75 ~100 range is fast enough, it's going to be a DOS/WIN31 system.

Currently got a Cyrix MediaGXM system which is fanless, but I need more ISA slots.

YouTube

Reply 4 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recieved a P166 system once, that had a passive cooling.
This was more or less a giant heatsink with a lot of ribs.

If you can find something like that, it can be attached and used without problems.
You only need to have some air moving inside the case.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 61, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why not. Down-clocking and under volting will likely lead to amazing reduction in heat. For example take a 1.6 V K6-III+ and run it at 66x2 = 133 MHz and that chip will just casually sip energy 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 61, by 33mhz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been running a Pentium 166 MMX for about 3 weeks now with only passive cooling at regular voltage. To compensate I'm using a 100mm case fan mounted on the side panel of the case (modern ATX case), about 3 inches above the cpu with 80mm exhaust fan 2 inches to the side. Seems to run cool enough, and it pretty much eliminates the noise so I'm thinking of keeping the setup this way. This probably won't work well with a period accurate case unless you want to take a drill to it though. 😵

Reply 8 of 61, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A P75 has an 8 watt TDP, double that of a 486DX which often runs with no heatsink. Attaching /some/ heatsink will probably be enough, a large one with something else driving air through the case will be enough for safety.

Reply 9 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

486DX which often runs with no heatsink

In my case, I have glued a chipset cooler onto my dx33. Not that a stock dx33 runs cold or anything, it actually runs pretty warm.
Shure I could run without, I just feel the need to add one "just in case" I need to crunch big numbers or something like that.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 61, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seeI've seen loads of socket 7 machines with no fan. Slot 1 machines too. Some dell socket 5 and 7 machines run fanless - with CPU's under 133MHz - over that they use a case fan that blows into the CPU heatsink. Compaq runs the Deskpro 1000 w/o a CPU fan as high up as a Pentium II 266. Faster chips use a fan tough.

If you plan to run a Pentium 233 w/o a cpu fan, you will need a big-ass heatsink (think socket A size or bigger) and a quiet case fan to blow on it from a distance. Don't try running a fast K6-2 or K6-3 w/o a fan. I tried it with my 1.6v K6-III+ 400ADZ and it stayed cool for the first 30 mins. After an hour of playing NFS Porsche, the machine froze. When I opened it up the massive heatsink I put on it was extremely hot.

Reply 11 of 61, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Original Pentium 133 system had no heatsink attached when I got it, ran it for 2 years that way not a single crash

Reply 12 of 61, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years ago I had a Pentium 200 that ran on a large passive heatsink. Don't remember the unit it came out of, but I was surprised to find that to say the least. Still have the heatinsk today.

Reply 13 of 61, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once saw a Dell Dimension XPS P75; the CPU had a small fanless heatsink on it, but attached the front panel was a ~60mm fan that blew air across it (and the rest of the motherboard).

Last edited by SW-SSG on 2016-10-03, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 61, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

My Original Pentium 133 system had no heatsink attached when I got it, ran it for 2 years that way not a single crash

Yea - well it's a 133mhz pentium, not a 400mhz k6-3. Fast socket 7 chips need active cooling or at least a huge heatsink and good case ventilation.

Reply 15 of 61, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once salvaged a non-MMX Pentium 200 from a Gateway 2000 PC, it used a green heatsink without a fan, not much larger than your regular Socket 7 heatsink. There wasn't a single fan in that machine, even the power supply was passively cooled. I still keep that CPU, motherboard (a Gateway version of Intel's LT430TX), memory and the hard drive (Quantum Fireball 3.2Gb).

Reply 16 of 61, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You also have the option of a IDT Winchip C6, even at 200MHz those don't need a fan, probably be just fine without a heatsink altogether even!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 17 of 61, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a 400MHz pentium 2 that is fanless. I even managed to overclock it at 450 without adding anything and I don't have any problems with stability with that cpu. I also have a 350 MHz pentium 2 from Compaq wich has a very tall aluminium heatsink

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18 of 61, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like I have plenty of options. I assume that in most cases a case fan is present? My current system is completely fanless, which is kinda neat and what I want for the new build, if possible. I'm going to compare and read about all of your suggestions.

YouTube

Reply 19 of 61, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If noise is the main reason for running fanless, HDD is one of biggest noise makers.
Go Solidstate or SD card IDE controller for totally silent system (and much faster).

my important / useful posts are here