VOGONS

Socket 7 cpu with passive cooling

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 61, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I've got a 400MHz pentium 2 that is fanless. I even managed to overclock it at 450 without adding anything and I don't have any problems with stability with that cpu. I also have a 350 MHz pentium 2 from Compaq wich has a very tall aluminium heatsink

Compaq Deskpro EN/EP with any slot 1 CPUs i think always had a big heatsink only, but cooled from the chassis fan. Very quiet systems.

Reply 21 of 61, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rawit wrote:

It sounds like I have plenty of options. I assume that in most cases a case fan is present? My current system is completely fanless, which is kinda neat and what I want for the new build, if possible. I'm going to compare and read about all of your suggestions.

Yes I had a case fan in my system, but way's to eliminate noise

Get a modern 3 pin fan and a fan speed controller for a 5 1/4 bay. Put the fan in the case with rubber grommets, also use rubber grommets to secure the disk drives and optical drives.

Reply 22 of 61, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scraphoarder wrote:

Compaq Deskpro EN/EP with any slot 1 CPUs i think always had a big heatsink only, but cooled from the chassis fan. Very quiet systems.

I have a EP with a Slot 1 Coppermine Pentium3 600MHz and it's passive. The only fan on the whole system is the PSU fan. Replacing the HDD with a CF card makes it practically silent.

PS: For some time I had an IBM PC300GL which had a Pentium MMX 200MHz with a passive heatsink and the only fan on that one was also the PSU fan. Even with 100% CPU load for long periods of time it was rock solid.

Reply 23 of 61, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would something like this be enough for anything socket 7 then?

s-l500.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391229723676

James-F wrote:

If noise is the main reason for running fanless, HDD is one of biggest noise makers.
Go Solidstate or SD card IDE controller for totally silent system (and much faster).

I'm using a Compact Flash with an IDE adapter. The thing is completely silent and extremely fast, but I do miss the HDD noise: it was a reminder that the computer was indeed working and just didn't hang in the middle of a process. The HDD light doesn't do the job imo, as you have to look at it. I do wonder if there are mods to bring back some sound from silent drives, like putting a speaker on the LED path or something.

Reply 24 of 61, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one that was cooling the P200MMX I mentioned was a bit bigger, but that one probably has more (and thinner) fins, so it's hard to compare. For something up to Pentium 133MHz it's almost certainly enough though.

If you want HDD noise, just add an HDD 😉

Reply 25 of 61, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jarreboum wrote:
Would something like this be enough for anything socket 7 then? […]
Show full quote

s-l500.jpg

James-F wrote:

If noise is the main reason for running fanless, HDD is one of biggest noise makers.
Go Solidstate or SD card IDE controller for totally silent system (and much faster).

I'm using a Compact Flash with an IDE adapter. The thing is completely silent and extremely fast, but I do miss the HDD noise: it was a reminder that the computer was indeed working and just didn't hang in the middle of a process. The HDD light doesn't do the job imo, as you have to look at it. I do wonder if there are mods to bring back some sound from silent drives, like putting a speaker on the LED path or something.

Not even close. Fully passive CPU heatsinks for socket 7 CPUs are two-tree times bigger. I'd use something like this to pe on the safe side:
http://www.hsmz.eu/sites/hsmz.eu/files/imagec … ges/103157.jpeg

Reply 26 of 61, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jarreboum wrote:
Show full quote

s-l500.jpg

James-F wrote:

for PEntium 75-166 possibly, on a K6-3 450 only if you like the smell of burning silicone.

Reply 28 of 61, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a picture on the net, wich looks exactly like the one that I got with my P-166 a long time ago.

image-aavid-heatsink.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 29 of 61, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jarreboum wrote:

Hm. Couldn't find anything with the proper fixation. None of the big enough passive heatsink I could find had the latch to attach to the socket 7.

not likely to find new ones, or even used ones that way, Socket 7, Socket 370 and Socket A all share a common mounting mechanism and there for awhile from about 1998 they made 7/370 coolers, from 2000-2002 7/370/462.

A socket 370/462 cooler will work on 7, just be aware its going to be a very tight fit, and one of the socket 7 coolers for Athlon XP will work without a fan on your application as long as you have room around the socket.

Reply 30 of 61, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The P3 500 Katmai and 600EB cards I've got are both passively cooled, although the heatsink is gigantic on both. I'd say you'll be fine.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 31 of 61, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

might be a good idea to get Pentium 133+ and underclock it to 75Mhz as 75, 90 and 100 MHz parts were fabricated using 0.5 mkm tech and 133 (or 120) and later parts used 0.35 mkm. 0.35 should consume less power as CMOS gates would have less capacitance.

Reply 32 of 61, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some of those speed-controlled case fans that have a 3 speed switch. When set to the lowest speed, I can't hear the fan with the case closed, so if you set this to blow across the HS fins, that might do the trick.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 33 of 61, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Compaq Presario 4766 came from the factory with a Pentium 166MMX which was passive cooled with a larger than ususal (for the time) heatsink. I overclocked it to 200mhz, and it was still rock stable.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 37 of 61, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jarreboum wrote:
Show full quote

s-l500.jpg

James-F wrote:

For 75 to 100mhz but when it comes to passive cooling bigger is always better as there is more surface area to dissipate the heat. If all else fails and you can't find a period accurate cooler that is large enough let alone fit you could consider buying a socket A or 370 cooler then take the fan off. Copper is always nice especially when the price is low enough.

EDIT: Quick buy this one and mod a clip to mount it!!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zalman-copper-heat-si … 2937022?_trksid

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 38 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To add to what's already been mentioned here, the older and more slow s5 and s7 Pentiums were very commonly fitted with the large passive heatsinks like the one pictured here

Thandor wrote:

A Pentium 75 is able to run without heatsink without crashing (although the intense heat doesn't do it good). With a big heatsink it wouldn't be a problem to run Pentiums without active cooling. In Compaq systems (fitted with Pentium 75 ~ 100) I found heatsinks like these (not actual picture, but similar). I'm sure these will run fine on a Pentium 133 as well.

These large passive Pentium 1 heatsinks were all over the place (often using heatsink latching clamps without holes so it was more difficult to remove them with a screwdriver) and many were that particular green color.

But these heatsinks typically have a much thinner base compared to s370 heatsinks, even though those older Pentium 1 heatsinks were fysically longer and wider. I tried to draw a quick & dirty pic to explain what I mean with this base.

P1 passive HS.jpg
Filename
P1 passive HS.jpg
File size
88.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This thinner base will affect cooling I presume.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 61, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The heat sink has to be the right thickness to maximize heat conductance to the fins while maintaining small enough heat resistance from the base.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder