VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone happen to ever compare a TG300 to any of the MU-series of Yamaha sound modules? I've got both a MU80 and MU2000EX and was wondering how they stack up and if it's worth getting a real TG300?

The MU80 does have a "TG300b" mode, but not sure if it really sounds like like a real TG300. Kinda like how the Roland SC-88's "SC-55" mode doesn't really sound like a real SC-55.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 4, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I upgraded my MU2000 to the EX firmware, I lost the TG-300 mode. This was a few years ago, but I remember it sounded different to my actual TG-300. However it may very well be that the MU2000's audio out via TOSLink was so clean, it made it sound different. I've often wished that I had spent a few months comparing the two.

I can say that the TG-100 and 300 are great little midi boxes, and I haven't heard any game sound bad with them. However, I find X68000 games that have a GM option (instead of Roland SC-55), to sound the best with either module. I can only guess that on an original MU2000 via TOSLink they would truly shine.

Reply 2 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kodai wrote:

I can say that the TG-100 and 300 are great little midi boxes, and I haven't heard any game sound bad with them.

That's good to hear! I'll add the TG-300 to my list of modules to find.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 4, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 100 will have the same sounds as the 300 as far as default GM is concerned. The 300 has extra stuff for making music. If you're only concerned with games, consider the 100 as an option since its often cheaper and easier to find. It's also very small and cute.

Reply 4 of 4, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some real info here.

the real tg300 has two different "GM" modes. GM A and GM B. GM B is the "pretend to be a sound canvas" mode, which most of the xg tone modules have.

The original one has four modes. the native mode with non gm stuff, GM A (yamaha's vision of GM with their extensions at the time), GM B (fake sound canvas), and CM (fake mt-32)

GM A ended up evolving into XG i think.