Filename
IMG_1955.JPG
File size
2.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I decided to copy this to Marvin as I recall getting it wrong previously

I keep getting the above message whenever I try to install FF7 on my Windows 95 PC. I've tried copying all the files from the installation CD to C: but I still get the same error. I've also tried cleaning the registry and removing all temp files, and I've tried installing in safe mode - but nothing has worked. -Any ideas and I'd be really grateful as I've really been looking forward to playing this one.

Reply 2 of 12, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first reaction would be to examine the CD-ROM and see if there are any scratches, blurs, or otherwise obscured areas of the disk. This could happen if the PC can't read the next file to copy.
I had to DOWNLOAD an ISO of Disk 1 just to get two movie files off of it that were corrupt/unreadable on my original CD-ROM. I then copied ALL FMVs to my hard drive and set the registry to point to that folder for movies. BAM, no more waiting for the CD-ROM to spin up for a cutscene.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 3 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried Googling already?

The only thing I could find that suggested someone had actually solved the problem was http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=25&mid= … 453805112132157 , which suggested a virus scanner problem. Other threads suggested corrupted media, or a bad, pirated download.

Reply 4 of 12, by Overheat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried googling too, which led me to try the reg cleaning and temp files clean and also to try in safe mode. I don't have a virus scanner as my machine isn't connected to the net.

I've also tried copying all files from the installation CD to the hard drive so I know that the CD / CD Drive aren't causing any issues.

I've run quite a lot of games with this build - I have run into a few CD drive issues, but as I've isolated that from the installation, then I know it's not the cd causing this problem.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes alterations to the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" registry keys can cause very strange problems with CD-ROM drives. Google should tell you more information about those.

Reply 6 of 12, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is "Auto-insert notification" enabled for the CD drive?
The best list of possible solutions I found was by "Sir_Elric" in this thread
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=4252

That post reminded me that I had several games that would not install in Windows 98 if "Auto-insert notification" for the drive (in Device Manager) was enabled. For some reason, the auto-insert would cause two installations to start at the same time and they would conflict, causing the installation to fail.

Reply 8 of 12, by Crols

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe the OP stated he has copy all files from cd to hdd, therfore it cannot be the cd causing the problem. I would perhaps try setting the *files* setting in config.sys to a higher level. I know for example Ultima 7 has an issue installing when *files* is set below a certain number.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Crols wrote:

I believe the OP stated he has copy all files from cd to hdd, therfore it cannot be the cd causing the problem.

I suppose – unless the files were somehow corrupted already.

I suppose the easiest way to establish if there's a problem there is just to use a checksum generator (I like WinMD5 to produce a checksum for each of the files on the installation CD, and then check them against someone else's files.

I would perhaps try setting the *files* setting in config.sys to a higher level. I know for example Ultima 7 has an issue installing when *files* is set below a certain number.

Ultima 7 is a DOS game. I can't imagine a Windows 95 application being impacted by the "files" setting in the config.sys.

Reply 10 of 12, by Crols

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ultima 7 is a DOS game. I can't imagine a Windows 95 application being impacted by the "files" setting in the config.sys.

Forgive my ignorance, but I assumed Windows 95 might be affected by this setting, being run on a foundation of DOS. However since 95 is a 32 bit extender of sorts,
I guess it has it's own rules internally.

*A little research on my part concedes your point, windows 95 is a full OS with it's own file system.

Reply 11 of 12, by Overheat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm just going to do a fresh install of windows 95 and see if it fixes the problem - just ordered a big box version of Windows 95 upgrade, which I'm hoping will allow me to do a fresh install.