VOGONS

First post, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am looking to get this craigs list deal for 30 dollars everything in the box
But i have no idea about the specs on the computer i cant find anything online so if anyone can help me identify this computer would be great
00e0e_3boke_QZ5_X0_J_1200x900.jpg
01616_2x2i20hx_Llf_600x450.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like an XT machine - most likely a 8088/8086 IBM clone. Google "Delta Gold Elite XT computer".

Also have a look at this: www.thepcmuseum.net/details.php?RECORD_ ... 5250583737

Reply 3 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow... that thing is AWESOME looking. I'd be all over that for $30... and I have no need for it. That's just too cool to pass up. Hopefully it works.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 13, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me too - but craigslist means I have to deal with US shipping, and shipping something like that over would cost an arm and a leg - that's if it arrives in one piece 🙁

Reply 5 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Me too - but craigslist means I have to deal with US shipping, and shipping something like that over would cost an arm and a leg - that's if it arrives in one piece 🙁

If the seller will do that, I sell alot on craigslist, and I don't do shipping, to many scammers running around

Reply 6 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your not paying shipping, I'd risk if for $30
If nothing else you get a nice looking AT case 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the seller will do that, I sell alot on craigslist, and I don't do shipping, to many scammers running around

How does that work? If I pay you first, I'm the one who is at risk of not getting the item. Or do you mean someone pays and then reverses it? It would seem to me that the buyer is at more risk?

Completely different kind of sellers and buyers on the free classified ads sites.

Everything is so much extra work. The sellers are only putting up minimal effort so everything falls on you sort it all out. That said, since many buyers are predatory and make ridiculously low offers on valuable items I can usually get the thing I want by making a reasonable offer. The rarest things in my collection have come from sites like that. I just have to be in the right mindset and ready to battle. 😀

eBay is easier. More expensive. But it does force the seller to a minimum standard and it's much easier as a buyer.

Reply 8 of 13, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CraigslIst is usually more economical for bigger items: no shipping / lower price (no eBay / PayPal commission) and items can be tested locally. Plus when you spend enough time searching you can get great stuff (near) free.

I built a collection of 1,000+ LaserDiscs and 10 players for cents on the $ compared to eBay this way. Plus obtained many PCs, diskettes, CRTs and could have obtained far more in the same manner over the years.

Many sellers on Craigslist / LetGo / Backpage do not ship. Those sites are better for non niche collectibles like furniture / cars and such.

Reply 9 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An XT desktop system with an LCD info display? That is definitely something I've never seen before.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it's a later XT system that was sold as "budget".
Edit: oh, never mind, should have read the whole thread 🤣 kanecvr figured it out.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
syndicator wrote:

I am still going to buy that XT system as soon as i get my car back from my mother and i will update you guys on the 8088 system..

Do it. Worst case scenario, if the computer itself doesn't work, is that you get a completely awesome case 😀

Reply 13 of 13, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a pretty good chance that keyboard has Blue Alps switches, which are some of the best keyswitches ever produced. I'd say that alone is worth it for $30.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus