VOGONS

First post, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dug up a socket 7 board recently - a Shuttle HOT-553. It has the 430HX chipset, which is a tempting swap for my current VX board in my Pentium 233 MMX system.

This has introduced me to the world of VRM sockets. I've never even seen one until today. This board requires a VRM to use any non P54C CPUs. The module called for in the manual is the HOT-106.

I can't find that particular module for sale anywhere online thus far, it's likely near impossible to find.

My question is: Are VRM sockets standardized in any way, i.e. can I find a VRM from another board and use it for this one?

Reply 1 of 5, by gg1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentium uses a 30 pin VRM if I remember correctly.. I can't say i've ever seen one IRL however, most of the boards of the era i remember sometimes having some jumpers on the 30 pin header, but never seen one with the VRM socket populated.. Here's a datasheet for the 30 Pin VRM though, so you might be able to make a substitute up yourself.

http://www.littlediode.com/datasheets/pdf/Dat … -RCB/RCB002.PDF

Later model boards, PPro/PII era used a 40 pin VRM, and those are common enough that you can probably get one on ebay, but it won't help you with your Pentium board unfortunately..

Reply 2 of 5, by gg1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might also be possible to build a PCB adapter that would convert a standard PPro/PII 40 pin VRM to the 30 pin.. Would have to include a set of DIP switches to set the Vcore, and would definately have to use 5 V input 40 pin VRM's..

Reply 3 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would simply try to find a normal (non mmx) cpu, way easier.

Or run the mmx at 3,3v with a good cooler. Some people did that back then on the single voltage boards, it can handle the extra voltage as long as it is cooled properly.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 5, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up buying an HP OEM VRM (p/n 0950-3188). It's a 30 pin module and looks very similar to the shuttle one. This part is specifically for P55 chips, so it only puts out 2.8v. That limits me to an MMX, but I'm fine with that. I have a super socket 7 build planned where I can play with the more interesting CPUs 😎

The part showed up today, but I won't have a chance to test it until Monday. In theory it should work, as the motherboard doesn't have to 'know' which vrm is installed, only whether or not there is one.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

I would simply try to find a normal (non mmx) cpu, way easier.

Or run the mmx at 3,3v with a good cooler. Some people did that back then on the single voltage boards, it can handle the extra voltage as long as it is cooled properly.

Or spend a little extra for a POD MMX.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder