VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have come across this ISA sound card, though I haven't tested it yet. It appears to be a Gallant Group SC-6600 v2.0 rev C. I managed to source two drivers, a 2-disk set from Gallant (for Win3.1?) and a ZIP with DOS drivers (appear to be for the Zoltrix Audio Excel DSP 16 which I believe is the same card rebadged). It's a WSS/SBPro card with an early C-Media chipset. Do you think it's a valid option for a 286/20? Does anyone have any experience with this card?

Attachments

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 7, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it initialize on the 286 machine? Some programs have code that require a 386 machine and won't initialize.
If it works I'd say it IS a valid option as it gives you the most important standards: AdlIb and SoundBlaster. It also has a dedicated FM chip (1:1 Yamaha OPL3 copy) (take a look at the guide I made regarding the different OPL3 implementations: http://www.amoretro.de/guides-workshops/opl2- … -und-nachbauten ) but of course the card is too new to serve as a period correct solution. Do you bother about it? If not, go with this card!

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 7, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't really bother about period correctness, I haven't found any SB Pro card so far 🙁 Just want something that works, with little memory footprint, so don't really want to go the Vibra16 PnP + emu386 way. Will test soon and report back!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 3 of 7, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your drivers don't work, try the drivers for the "Terratec Maestro 16" card - it has a similar chipset and should be driver compatible.
You find the drivers here: http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/Maestro/16/Driver/

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 7, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psychz wrote on 2016-10-13, 07:32:

I have come across this ISA sound card, though I haven't tested it yet. It appears to be a Gallant Group SC-6600 v2.0 rev C. I managed to source two drivers, a 2-disk set from Gallant (for Win3.1?) and a ZIP with DOS drivers (appear to be for the Zoltrix Audio Excel DSP 16 which I believe is the same card rebadged). It's a WSS/SBPro card with an early C-Media chipset. Do you think it's a valid option for a 286/20? Does anyone have any experience with this card?

Do you happen to have the original drivers you located? Wondering if you could post them here if so. I have the same card with an AD chip instead of crystal and have looked everywhere for the sc6600v2.zip file with no luck. I tried the drivers from the last post but they seem to lockup my system anytime something tries to play from the sound card.

Reply 5 of 7, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope it's not too late... I can't remember if these are the exact drivers I used as I currently don't have access to my whole driver archive, but there you go

Attachments

• Filename
    galant.zip
    File size
    2.06 MiB
    Downloads
    122 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Stojke wrote:

Reply 7 of 7, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was searching for this driver again since I had the retro computer out and found this post. Very sorry I didn't report back. This driver did work for my Sc6600v2, but I could not figure out how to make the wavetable work with this driver. Sure it is something I am doing wrong. But I did find another driver that worked out of the box with my card for wavetable and the SBPRO2 mode works well in wolf3d to tell where the guards are when they shout out. Driver takes up about 2K of ram. Only downside is you have to install the driver via windows (worked in 3.1 for me) but it then drops the SYS file that loads via config.sys

20231125_192845.jpg
Filename
20231125_192845.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Filename
    Sc6600v2.zip
    File size