VOGONS

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the lapc-1 sound noticably better than the cm-32l?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are the same when it comes to hardware synth capabilities, the cm32l being an external unit has the potential to produce a cleaner output since the lapc-I could be picking noise or something from the bus.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, unless your setup isn't correct.

Take note that, with the CM-32L, you also require an MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface for the PC (the LAPC-I has one built in). This is especially the case for games that require an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface. Otherwise, you can use the UART mode interface found on many sound cards.

There are third party solutions available (like SoftMPU) to make a sound card's interface intelligent mode compatible, but there are some limitations.

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly! Just ninja'd my post.

Some games require a normal mode (aka 'intelligent' mode) MPU-401 interface for connecting to the external LA synth device (MT-32, CM-32L, or similar). The LAPC-I incorporates one of these on the card. Your PC would require this functionality in the form of an adapter card from Roland, Voyetra, Midiman, or Music Quest. You can also use a TSR like SoftMPU or build an adapter card using the HardMPU design.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder