VOGONS

First post, by Peter Ian Staker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I just repaired an old HP laptop I had lying around. It's an ZD8122ea with a pentium 4 at 3.0 ghz and and an ATI Mobility Radeon x600 with 128 mb of VRAM.
I want to run Windows 98 on it to play some old games. Would there be too much trouble with the drivers?
Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 12, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your biggest problem will be the GPU, ATI Catalyst 6.2 (latest for Windows 98/ME) supports the X600 desktop GPU and you may well be able to use ATI Mobility Modder to mod them to install for the mobile version of the chip as well. I used to use this for my mobility X1700 GPU (although on XP)

Reply 3 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter Ian Staker wrote:

I am currently running setup and its crashing on the plug and play devices part.
Any way to fix it?

If there's any way to remove any additional components or disable everything in the BIOS, that'd be a good place to start. Remove any wifi cards, PCMCIA cards, etc.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 12, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sometimes you just gotta strip the PC down to the essentials: Hard drive, processor, 128MB memory, and a video card, then when Windows is up and running, start adding stuff back in ONE DEVICE AT A TIME. Install it, boot to Windows, install drivers, reboot and see if Windows is stable and the device works. Shut down, add another device, boot into Windows....etc.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 12, by Peter Ian Staker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone.
I managed to fix the problem by restarting setup with the plug and play support disabled since there isn't much I can remove from the laptop with dissasembling it again.
Now the only important component without a driver is the x600 mobility radeon. Any idea where I can find a compatible driver?

Reply 6 of 12, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try using the ATI Mobility Modder program with the latest Windows 98 driver (Catalyst 6.2) ?

The 6.2 driver supports the Desktop x600, if nothing else you can just modify the .INF file by putting in the appropriate device ID for your mobility version

Reply 7 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd just go with XP. You will be surprised how many 98 era games will actually work just fine 😀

Plus a few later games as well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

X600 supports Win 98 just fine and a number of other laptops with the same or similar gpu from the same generation such as the Thinkpad T4x series as well the Dell Inspiron 9300 ect. The drivers need are posted somewhere here on vogons by another user.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 12, by Peter Ian Staker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'd just go with XP. You will be surprised how many 98 era games will actually work just fine 😀

Plus a few later games as well.

I will eventually when I get an sata to ide adaptor and put an SSD in there.
I am just messing around with the original drive.
In the meantime it doesn't seem to be able to recognize usb drives and I am having real trouble getting files into it.

Reply 12 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Ian Staker wrote:

I am currently running setup and its crashing on the plug and play devices part.
Any way to fix it?

The source of this is USB controllers.
Just reset, wait the second freeze, reset again. Then the install will continue.
Have the Xpress 200M Notebook, symptoms are similar.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).