VOGONS

First post, by Gameoverman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all does anyone have any info regarding this slocket settings or setup of it. i know it has settings written on it i tryed them out not shure if i have settings on the motherboard right . will it work on a asus p2b-f? any info would be great ! thanks ! 😀

Attachments

• back.gif
    Filename
    back.gif
    File size
    4.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • front.gif
    Filename
    front.gif
    File size
    3.38 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have that slocket but it looks to me like JP1 and JP2 should be 1-2, not 2-3. When it says "old version Celeron" it's probably talking about the Mendocino cores. The Celeron in the picture is a Coppermine.
I don't know what to do with JP8.

This CPU will work on a P2B-F if the BIOS has been updated, but older BIOSes will not allow it to POST. I don't know what the minimum version is, but the last officially released BIOS and the unofficial one that followed will both work.

Also check if the board has a Coppermine compatible voltage regulator chip. This is a small chip in the CPU VRM area near the MOSFETs. It has something like 16-20 legs on it. US3007CW is compatible. HIP6019BCB is compatible. HIP6019CB is not. There might be other possible chip numbers.
If you don't have a compatible VRM then set the voltage to 1.80V instead of Auto.

Reply 2 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, this slocket is completely passive so the board you use must support the output voltages of the CPU you plan to run. Microcode is not really related to the slocket as it's functionality is strictly electrical. While it can definitely be a barrier to the use of a newer CPU, the BIOS can often be patched for extended microcode support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 4, by Gameoverman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so tried those settings . i also have the latest bios wont post i have the compatible voltage chip . wonder what i'm doing wrong
thanks guys i check asus website and it says fastest chip is the 800 mhz celeron should have check the website before 🤣 😊

Reply 4 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try to set the FSB of your motherboard to 66 MHz and then see whether it will post. That should then get you to a clock speed of 733 MHz, which is then fairly close to the maximum speed the motherboard supports. Based on my understanding of the manual, you will have to set the multiplier by using the same jumper settings as the one for the 5.5x multiplier.

Something that also caught my eye when I checked the manual under General DIMM notes: "For the system CPU bus to operate at 100MHz, use only PC100-compliant DIMMs. When this motherboard operates at 100MHz, most system will not even boot if non-compliant modules are used because of the strict timing issues involved under this speed. If your DIMM's are not PC100-compliant, set the CPU bus frequency to 66MHz RAM to ensure system stability.".