VOGONS

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see that Windows Me came with DirectX 7.1 and was updated to DirectX 9.0c. It came with IE 5.5 and could be upgraded to IE 6 SP1. The best Intel CPU at the time Me was released was the Pentium 4 Willamette Socket 478 and at the time DirectX 9.0c came out it was the Pentium 4 Cedar Mill LGA 775 with the max speed of 3.6 GHz. Anyone thought of making WindowsBox?

Also, might need Outlook Express 6 SP1 and Windows Media Player 9.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2016-10-20, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At that point you're better off wrapping a few libraries (dgvoodoo2, indirectsound et al), since WinMe's era was already quite well standardized, short lived, and intertwined with the early XP era which is already (mostly) compatible with modern-day Windows anyhow. A fully blown emulator would be a waste for this part at this current time.

though there is PCem, but that's only useful for up around later 2000 when basic Voodoo support was finally shedding in mainstream pc gaming

Last edited by leileilol on 2016-10-20, 18:18. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 15, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are still pletifull of hardware around, that are WinME compatible.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote:

Anyone thought of making WindowsBox?

No, you are the first one, the visionary genius we have all been waiting for who will lead us out of creative darkness. 😒

Reply 5 of 15, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would add that the best Glide API card should be emulated, the never released Spectre 3000.

Also, I think Pentium 4 is also probably overkill.

System requirements for running Windows ME[50]
Minimum Recommended
x86
CPU Pentium, 150 MHz Pentium II, 300 MHz

Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now System Requirements
Intel CPU
Pentium III

So,

Tualatin 0.13 µm 700–1400 MHz 512 KB 100–133 MHz Socket 370, BGA2, µPGA2

Did the Tualatin PIII ever get released?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 6 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Camra2 predates Pentium III by many months.(and doesn't really require it, not for speed nor for sse - it's quite capped and ran roughly the same everywhere iirc)

where are you getting your information from

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote:

I would add that the best Glide API card should be emulated, the never released Spectre 3000.

What makes you think anyone will be able to emulate hardware that no one has ever seen and for which no drivers or other publicly available software exists?

If the card is merely like a very fast voodoo 2, then existing solutions are entirely adequate.

Reply 9 of 15, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
dnewhous wrote:

What makes you think anyone will be able to emulate hardware that no one has ever seen and for which no drivers or other publicly available software exists?

If the card is merely like a very fast voodoo 2, then existing solutions are entirely adequate.

They could have a prototype lying around still. Better yet, a version control system with the Cadence design!

I am getting my information from the wikipedia mostly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium#Pentium_4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ME

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_ … pocalypse%20Now

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... ed.5).aspx

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 11 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC the unreleased 3dfx Napalm wasn't a Glide-supporting card in the state it was left in and it's pretty fruitless to emulate an obscure prototype as an end-all solution. Preservation maybe, but not for the prospect you're asking for

all strange requests from a 2002 account, so i'm going to guess it was a really heavy rock. or jail, so i'll fill you in on a little secret from the past 10 years of great technological advancement:

virtualization extensions in modern CPUs and motherboards

You can virtualize a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox/VMWare at full speed with modern 3d accelleration. It's not ME, but why would anyone want that?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 15, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

. It's not ME, but why would anyone want that?

In my experience glide API games need to be run in glide API mode or they stink.

Glide API games do not work in XP without a patch.

Glide API games want PIII not PII.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 13 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glide games don't really care what CPU you run them on as long as it can execute the driver. and plus there's nice glide wrappers to use with modern hardware if you really desire glide games specifically on a very wide range in generations of video hardware..

Also the "they stink" only really applies to UnrealEngine1 games which had some differing texture combine behavior than the (then unfinished) Direct3D/OpenGL renderers they had. All else is preferences, performance (certain cpu/3dfx combinations), and quality placebo from the dac filter/defaultgamma

Most "xp patches" are nvidia compatibility patches, or kernel-related/appcompat workarounds, and has less to do with using Glide. also breaking news: there's 3dfx card drivers for 2k/XP that support Glide.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 15, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience the glide API wrappers don't work when using a racing wheel and a keyboard at the same time. However, if those wrappers are close to the mark, it's DirectX 8.1 that would do the best job imitating the Glide API.

Also, Quicktime 6.5.2 was the version for Windows Me. Anyone know what version of iTunes that was?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 15 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote:

In my experience the glide API wrappers don't work when using a racing wheel and a keyboard at the same time.

There is no reason the glide API wrappers should be at all affected by the presence of a racing wheel.

However, if those wrappers are close to the mark, it's DirectX 8.1 that would do the best job imitating the Glide API.

DirectX is backwards-compatible, at least as far as 8.1 is concerned. If a wrapper needs to use some DirectX 8.1 function for some reason, there is no reason it cannot do so if DirectX 9 is installed.

Also, Quicktime 6.5.2 was the version for Windows Me.

What does that matter? If you need Quicktime for a certain game, then it is best to stick with whatever version of Quicktime that game required, or to use Quicktime Alternative instead. Quicktime is an ugly, bloated mess. Anyway, I think versions that old were still distributed independently of iTunes.