VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

So I've been tinkering with a Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600) for the past few days and I'm really enjoying it, however i'm having an issue with it pushing CD audio (redbook) through the sound card. I have a CD connector wire going from the back of the CD drive connected to the connector on the sound card but i'm not getting any redbook audio from any CD at all. I've checked the wire with another sound card and it's fine.

Everything else related to sound seems to be working fine, just no redbook cd audio, this CT1600 is a revision 7 board marked (079337) in the lower left corner of the PCB.

Is there something I need to put in the autoexec.bat or config.sys? I don't think anything would be needed though, so i'm stumped with what the problem is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 😎

Last edited by Chaniyth on 2016-10-21, 23:56. Edited 1 time in total.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 4, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Played around the mixer? Make sure CD is not muted.

Yep that did it, lmao, thanks Phil! It seems that by default the CD is muted on these cards.

I could only half-arsed install the disks because something is up with my floppy drive so I had to "hack-it" and install via a mix of running the installer from CD and then when it asks for the disk, using the copy of the Disk1 floppy.

I'm assuming the floppy cable may be going bad, I say this because i've tested about 10+ floppies and they all end up with either 512 or 1024 bytes of bad sectors when formatted and none of them allow me to install the SBPRO 2 disks via floppy. The installer just freezes before it even loads and sometimes I see corruption happening on the screen (tons of ascii characters) or the floppy light just stays on and hard locks the computer. The disks themselves are not corrupted (I don't think, I can't imagine that many floppies being bad). At least I tricked it to get the 1st disk installed and that was enough to get the mixer installed.

Thanks again Phil.

Last edited by Chaniyth on 2016-10-21, 23:58. Edited 1 time in total.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick update: The reason why the floppy disks were not working correctly and why formatting was giving bad sectors was due to a motherboard incompatibility issue with my S3 Trio64 based VLB graphics card which I never realized was happening. Motherboard is an ASUS PVI-486SP3 with latest BIOS. Switching it to a S3 805 or Cirrus Logic based VLB graphics card resolved all floppy issues, I ended up going with the S3 805 card.