VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an upgrade board that is listed as having this chip, but there are no other specs. I imagine it pulls RAM from the main system RAM, but cannot confirm.

Does anyone know how it performs relative to say a Monster 3D or say first gen Voodoo? My guess is it is a pretty weak chip and should be sufficient for 2D gaming / Windows but will be horrible for 3D.

So far I've only found info online about the Trident 9750, reviews I've read of it sound like a mixed bag.

Reply 1 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never heard of then 8400 AGP. I know of 8800 and 8900 ISA and VLB cards.... As for trident AGP cards:

- Trident 3D Image 9750 - good for DOS on super 7 or slot 1 machine with AGP. 3d acceleration performance is pretty poor. Only some titles are playable at 640x480. Great speed and compatibility in DOS.
- Trident 3D Image 9850 - faster then the 9750, but not enough to deliver good 3d performance
- Trident Blade 3D 9880 - these are pretty good for 3D gaming. Slightly faster then a voodoo 2 in some games, slower in others. Comes with 8 or 16MB of ram. Great in DOS as well.
- Trident Blade XP 9980 - die shrunk, higher clocked version of the 9880. Comes with 16 or 32MB, the latter being most common. Faster then a TNT2 M64, great for most early 3D games as well as DOS.

Reply 3 of 4, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is an integrated chip on a motherboard, not a chip on its own card so my guess is it is going to be pretty shit at 3D but should be ok for 2D games of the era like Diablo and Syndicate and other older DOS/WIN 9X games.

I will have to run some benches once I get an opportunity to futz about with it more.

Reply 4 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the cyberblade performs similarly to the blade 3d. It also comes with dedicated memory. It should be OK for stuff like Quake 2 and alike.