6800GT agp 8x

I am also using this windows 98 computer to Post this message

I will be working on my early dos gaming isa board once i get it in

Reply 2 of 23, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! I like the case, I forgot all about the cases with the lights like that on the front. That should be a very fast 98 machine and very capable.

Congrats

EDIT: are those Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's? I had a set and they were the best speakers I ever had. I think mine were the 4.1's and I had a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz running them.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 23, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yep they are Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s they sound awesome

The keyboard is a old school Cherry MX blue switch i picked up at a thrift store for 10 dollars

If people wanna see the inside of the tower i would be more happy to take some more pics

Reply 12 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't. You could dual-boot, but I don't really see the use of running winXP or 2k on it. If I was to run older games I'd want to run them all out graphically and this machine is best suited for top-of-the-line win9x stuff performance and quality wise. I'd say you made a good OS choice. Since 2001-2008 retro gear is so cheap right now, building a setup capable of running these games maxed out is relatively cheap and easy, so why not do it properly with an AM2/LGA775 PCI-E machine?

For me winXP gaming means stuff like Doom3, Quake 4, Black and White 2, Stalker and C&C 3. While the first two would run well enough at 1280x1024 + AA on your rig, cranking graphics up to 1600x1200 (or 1920x1080) with 4x AA requires a way faster machine for over 60 fps - that's 7900GTX SLi / 8800GT / 2900XT territory. I know because I tested the game on my 3800+ / GF 6800 rig and performance at those graphical settings is lacking.

Great rig BTW, it's similar to my win98 overkill build: Win98 Socket 939 Voodoo 2 SLi Build! (a.k.a. Glide Overkill)

Reply 13 of 23, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I wouldn't. You could dual-boot, but I don't really see the use of running winXP or 2k on it. If I was to run older games I'd want to run them all out graphically and this machine is best suited for top-of-the-line win9x stuff performance and quality wise. I'd say you made a good OS choice. Since 2001-2008 retro gear is so cheap right now, building a setup capable of running these games maxed out is relatively cheap and easy, so why not do it properly with an AM2/LGA775 PCI-E machine?

For me winXP gaming means stuff like Doom3, Quake 4, Black and White 2, Stalker and C&C 3. While the first two would run well enough at 1280x1024 + AA on your rig, cranking graphics up to 1600x1200 (or 1920x1080) with 4x AA requires a way faster machine for over 60 fps - that's 7900GTX SLi / 8800GT / 2900XT territory. I know because I tested the game on my 3800+ / GF 6800 rig and performance at those graphical settings is lacking.

Great rig BTW, it's similar to my win98 overkill build: Win98 Socket 939 Voodoo 2 SLi Build! (a.k.a. Glide Overkill)

That is what i am planning to do.. I want to build a PCI-E 4Gb ddr2 800MHz Yorkfield Based xp computer

Reply 14 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
syndicator wrote:

That is what i am planning to do.. I want to build a PCI-E 4Gb ddr2 800MHz Yorkfield Based xp computer

...And meanwhile, this one you've just finished building will sit in a corner somewhere and collect duest. 🤣

Reply 15 of 23, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
syndicator wrote:

...And meanwhile, this one you've just finished building will sit in a corner somewhere and collect duest. 🤣

Hell No Unreal games run like a dream on this windows 98 computer.. I just wish i can get a Wavetable board for a good price..but the aureal 2 sound card sound pretty good

Reply 16 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
syndicator wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
syndicator wrote:

Hell No Unreal games run like a dream on this windows 98 computer.. I just wish i can get a Wavetable board for a good price..but the aureal 2 sound card sound pretty good

Best sounding inexpensive PCI card is the Yamaha DS-XG (YMF724 or 744). They start at 11$ on ebay. The Vortex 2 midi synth is alright too. Thing is, the best 3d games with midi music are glide only (ex. descent 2) and it's best to run those on a slower PC. Descent for example has a mouse input bag. The faster the game runs, the lower mouse sensitivity is. Midi is best for DOS games tough - there are only a few win9x games (that I know of) with midi soundtracks - the rest use either redbook audio or tracker music, so I'd suggest keeping the Vortex 2 in this build.

Reply 17 of 23, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@kanecvr yeah you are right i will just leave it as is and just enjoy the damn build
and besides i am prob going to hold off on the xp build and build a ISA dos build with a ISA sound card

Reply 18 of 23, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All K8 CPUs that I'm aware of allow downclocking, so it might be interesting to see how low your CPU can go (in terms of performance). Utilities exist to do this on the fly. If it can get down to early P3 equivalent, you've got a very versatile system on your hands.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 23, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

All K8 CPUs that I'm aware of allow downclocking, so it might be interesting to see how low your CPU can go (in terms of performance). Utilities exist to do this on the fly. If it can get down to early P3 equivalent, you've got a very versatile system on your hands.

I tried looking for them for windows 9x i cant find any. I tired going into the bios all i can find is Cool'n'Quiet settings.. If you can point me to the right direction that would be great