VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
about this feature (V-Link) in the K7Upgrade-600 KT600 mainboard bios (two option Normal and Fast), I read somewhere that it could really improve disk speed but with the side effect of something like much more cpu cycles used. Considering the Barton 3200+ already quiet stressed on modern os, have someone tested it? Having more disk speed with less cpu speed.. I don't know if it's good or not.
Thank

Reply 1 of 7, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try it. See if it really helps or slows the CPU too much. My guess is that you may not see a huge enough difference in disk speed. Im sure technically there would be, but not very noticeable.

Reply 2 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With Fast enabled:

READ
Timing cached reads: 348.98 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 95.62 MB/sec

WRITE
83886080 bytes (84 MB) copied, 0,725587 s, 116 MB/s

Fast disabled:

READ
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: = 371.77 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: = 96.45 MB/sec

WRITE
83886080 bytes (84 MB) copied, 0,68932 s, 122 MB/s

Well, it looks like nothing really change... and results are quiet variable with high and low in both cases...

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Different generations of V-Link used 4x, 8x, and 16x (Ultra V-Link) pumping. I doubt this is what's being changed. It's not like AGP where you have to worry about card compatibility. Both the NB and SB are permanently installed. I would guess that it's some sort of burst transfer mode and therefore more work flow dependent.

Edit: Fixed V-Link clock info.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-10-23, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen V-Link 8x boards that default to 4x. I'm not sure I've ever seen 8x as the default... 4x is the original spec for 266 MB/s.

There might be a difference if you tested with 2 PATA channels at saturation. Throw a PCI IDE card in for even more bandwidth consumption.

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right you are wrt the original V-Link spec. I knew they had boosted the transfer rate a couple of times for the different generations of core logic chipsets. Originally, V-Link ran at 4x for 266 MB/s, then it was upgraded to 8x for 533 MB/s, and finally to Ultra V-Link for 1066 MB/s.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder