VOGONS

Reply 21 of 29, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

It might get noisy when it spins up, but there are ways to suppress that if it annoys you.

For example?

By limiting the maximum speed at which the drive runs, or minimizing the amount of vibrations transmitted through the drive bay...

Reply 23 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a very long time, the best cd drives were made by Plextor. In their day, they were fast, quiet and reliable. That said, they just gave up when dvd and cd-r came around. Lite-On took the throne as the fastest drives. Quite a few Plextor drives simply don't read cd-r disks. Thankfully I found a cheap ide > scsi converter and I use that a generic new dvd/ram and I have no issues on my old scsi systems.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25 of 29, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
devius wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

It might get noisy when it spins up, but there are ways to suppress that if it annoys you.

For example?

By limiting the maximum speed at which the drive runs

And how is that accomplished exactly?

Reply 26 of 29, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

By limiting the maximum speed at which the drive runs

And how is that accomplished exactly?

By setting a lower speed in the driver software, but I don't know whether it's possible in DOS/Win3.11, so you may need a third-party utility. Google gives a lot of hits on the topic, the question isn't exactly new...

Reply 28 of 29, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found 16X readers gave a pretty good compromise between speed and noise for DOS era usage. As others have said before, if you go with a modernish drive, make sure it has CD audio out. Sometimes the connector is there but it's marked as "not connected" or something like that.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 29 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was also a TSR for DOS, which did let you set the speed of the CD-ROM drive.
It was for ATAPI drives and was simply named "CDSPEED".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//