VOGONS

First post, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I need some out-of-the-box thinking and fresh perspective as I’m currently hitting a brick wall due to very scarce free time (and I must admit I haven’t been using DOS and the corresponding systems for 20 years). Maybe another VS440FX user or someone knowledgeable can point out something obvious I’m currently overlooking...

Background:
A few month ago I thought about setting up another retro PC which should be used for real DOS in addition to running everything in DOSBox. My Roland CM-32L and SC-55 would be shared with this machine too (using a Roland Edirol UM-550). For that purpose I recently purchased one of Keropi's brilliant Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 clone cards. Then, I assembled the system using some of my old parts and a few newly purchased parts and wanted to get rolling with the DOS 6.22 installation.

System specifications:
CPU: Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz 1M
Cooler: Thermaltake Venus 12 + Noctua NF-A8 FLX (modified to fit & mounted with Socket 8 clamp)
Mainboard: Intel VS440FX (BIOS 1.00.18.CS1)
RAM: Kingston 64MB EDO 60ns (2x 32MB)
PSU: Enermax EG301AX-VE(G) 303W

Add-in cards:
PCI1: Diamond Monster 3D
PCI4: Eontronics S3 Virge/DX
ISA2: Music Quest PC-MIDI IH9MQ9 (Keropi’s clone card)
ISA4: Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold

Drives:
FDD: Alps Floppy Drive
SSD: Corsair CSSD-F60GBLSB 60GB *
ODD: Sony DDU1681S-01 *
* connected to IDE via Manhattan 158282 SATA300 Drive to IDE Host Controller Converter

Problem description:
The system initializes fine, the CPU is detected with the full 1M cache, the BIOS is entirely on default settings (Clear CMOS jumper set). All drives are detected. Using a boot-floppy, all drives can be accessed (incl. read/write on the SSD). MS-DOS 6.22 installs fine on the SSD. Rebooting the system with the boot-floppy removed leads to an error message, no system disk or disk error, etc. (boot order is first Floppy, then Harddisk). Removing this SSD (keeping the installed MS-DOS 6.22) and connecting it to some other retro systems/spare parts I have leads to no errors at all. It boots DOS on my Asus P2B-DS with dual PII 450MHz CPU, and it boots DOS on my Intel Advanced/ML with a P200 (in this case even using the same PSU).

Steps already performed:
- Wiped the SSD and created FAT16 partitions for DOS with PartitionMagic 7.0 (with its emergency floppy set), with Windows 7, with FDISK, in various sizes --> No change
- Repeated the installation --> No change
- Tested the SSD/the DOS installation in other systems --> Working flawlessly
- Used an HDD instead of the SSD --> No change
- Recovered the VS440FX BIOS (via recovery jumper and BIOS floppy) --> No change
- Removed all cards (except VGA) and all unnecessary drives --> No change
- Changed the IDE settings to user definable and entered the same configuration the Advanced/ML uses --> No change
- Deactivated all integrated periphals I don’t use --> No change
- Connected the drives to an PCI SATA controller and deactivated the onboard controller --> No change (all drives detected, same error message)

I currently don’t have a working IDE harddisk available to check whether that makes any difference, but the fact that the SSD/converter combo works fine on the Advanced/ML (roughly same age, same manufacturer, comparable BIOS with even more restrictions), that it got detected by the VS440FX, and that DOS installs fine made me doubt that will really change anything.

Of course I could just switch to the Advanced/ML and use that as a DOS PC. But that is definitely my last option, when everything else has failed and all is lost... I’d really like to get this Pentium Pro PC up and running.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts, ideas and help!

END OF LINE.

Reply 2 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good idea! I also think it might be something related to track 0 or the MBR,

If nothin' helps, a secure erase could also help (careful with that!).

Oh and out of curiosity - does MS-DOS 7.x work fine there ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 26, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the tips so far!

Today I had some time to test again. I booted the system with boot-floppy, erased the SSD with fdisk, created a single largest supported size partition, formatted it, transferred the system (i.e. executed sys c:) and rebooted without boot-floppy. Result was the well known non-system disk error message. Then I continued with boot-floppy and executed fdisk /mbr (which should recreate the MBR). After rebooting without boot-floppy I again get the non-system disk error message. I reinstalled MS-DOS 6.22, and this too has no effect.

Another odd thing: fdisk reports the disk size as 8025MB although this BIOS is supposed to support disks larger than 8GB (setting: auto detect). If I then manually configure it via cylinders/heads/sectors to be exactly 8025MB then fdisk reports 504MB (although it "knows" that there is a 2047MB partition on that 504MB drive).

To me all of this seems to be somehow VS440FX-BIOS related as I can take this SSD as-is (i.e. without changing the MBR, the partitions or the installed MS-DOS), connect it to the Advanced/ML or P2B-DS and it will boot just fine... Maybe someone with a VS440FX can check how his or her board's BIOS is acting under comparable circumstances?

END OF LINE.

Reply 4 of 26, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just try some other HDD? I have VS440FX and it has 20GB IDE HDD, works just fine without any issues.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 6 of 26, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, DOS is the first and only partition, and per fdisk it is active and bootable.

I already tried everything with another HDD (WD 640GB, briefly mentioned in the initial post). That didn't change anything. And unfortunately I don't have any working IDE HDD available.

What kind of irritates me is the fact that the disk works just perfectly fine with other systems. I can just switch cables and boot DOS with e.g. my Advanced/ML. So the disk, partitions, DOS installation etc. is perfectly fine.

END OF LINE.

Reply 7 of 26, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean normal HDD for that era, like 10-20 gb size, not 640GB 🤣 😁

Reply 8 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is your bios ? An award bios ?
I know that award bioses had issues with HDDs bigger than 32GB at some point

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 26, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has IBM BIOS (most probably Phoenix), I haven't looked at mine with that in mind.

But throwing modern tech onto board of that age and not having a period correct (=compatible) part to test does not help much. With some smaller capacity IDE HDD you could at least eliminate board itself as a culprit and then continue experimenting with parts.

Reply 10 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you successfully clear track 0 yet ? I'm not sure whether secure erase does this, too.
Here's a tiny tool which can do it, I think. Besides, FDISK /MBR is a bit different in 6.2x and 7.1.
One version only re-writes the MBR if it is detected as beeing broken, if I recall correctly.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 26, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for linking that tool. I transferred it to a boot-floppy and executed it. According to fdisk the disk was now completely empty. Then I created a single FAT16 partition, formatted it with format /s and tried to boot it. Again, the non-system disk error.

Paadam wrote:

But throwing modern tech onto board of that age and not having a period correct (=compatible) part to test does not help much. With some smaller capacity IDE HDD you could at least eliminate board itself as a culprit and then continue experimenting with parts.

Well, the SSD has been and is working on the Advanced/ML board which is basically the same age as the VS440FX. Hence, I do know that the VS440FX (or its BIOS) is the culprit. I wanted to investigate whether I need to configure something special within the BIOS, made some other mistake or the board is defective/has issues in some way. Large drives definitely seem to work... Re: Windows 98SE and Large Hard Drives

END OF LINE.

Reply 13 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
voodoo5_6k wrote:

Thanks for linking that tool. I transferred it to a boot-floppy and executed it. According to fdisk the disk was now completely empty.

No problem, it also helps to get rid of linux loaders and other mbr viruses.

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 26, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you know what hard drive geometry the BIOS shows to DOS?
Do you have other hard drive geometry translation options available?

One possibility is that the BIOS uses 256 heads and DOS does not work with it and later BIOSes used up to 255 heads only to work around this.

But based on the 8025 MB size, it uses 1023 cylinders, 255 heads and 63 sectors. Which is a bit odd, since it should go up to 1024 cylinders, totaling some 8032 MB, but not alarming as many implementations adjust the cylinder count to one less than it should be.

If you enter the parameters manually, it may think you want to use those parameters with the drive directly, but it won't work as ATA protocol supports only up to 16 heads (but 16k cylinders), so it then forgets about the geometry translation and uses 1024 cylinder limit, 16 head limit and 63 sector limit so you only get 504 MB.

Reply 15 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's interesting, I also heard of the 1024 limit in DOS 5/6 (?).
Does this also affect DOS 7.1 ? I mean DOS itself, not FDISK (didn't W98's FDISK also got a patch for +8GB ?)

Btw, there was a similar post about OS/2 and the >64 MB setting. It was about OS/2 3.x beeing using outdated
PC BIOS INTs to retrieve the size of total memory, and so it ultimately got confused and reported 64MB (or less).
http://www.os2museum.com/wp/windows-nt-3-1-an … mory-detection/

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 26, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

That's interesting, I also heard of the 1024 limit in DOS 5/6 (?).
Does this also affect DOS 7.1 ? I mean DOS itself, not FDISK (didn't W98's FDISK also got a patch for +8GB ?)

No because DOS 7.1 supports FAT32 file system and can access disks using LBA (extended int 13h calls) so it supports disks larger than 8GB.

DOS 6 uses standard int 13h calls so max disk size is 8GB, and because of FAT16 file system each partition may be only up to 2GB. But it requires BIOS to use LBA or geometry translation for disks larger than 504MB to work.

Reply 17 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see. But in theory, depending on cluster size, et cetera, FAT16 can support +2GB partitions, too ?

Anyway, happy Halloween everyone! halloween-ruchomy-obrazek-0246.gif

fat.gif
Filename
fat.gif
File size
2.8 KiB
Views
File comment
I wished there was a patch for DOS 6.2..
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 26, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

I see. But in theory, depending on cluster size, et cetera, FAT16 can support +2GB partitions, too ?

FAT16 itself yes, but many implementations that access FAT16 filesystems (including DOS 6 and its tools, digital cameras with SD cards, etc) do not support FAT16 partitions over 2GB. They have problems supporting 64kbyte cluster size, because 128 sectors per cluster was considered as signed byte so it's -1. Up to 2GB works because it has 64 sectors per cluster (32kbyte sector size).

Reply 19 of 26, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jepael wrote:

Do you know what hard drive geometry the BIOS shows to DOS?
Do you have other hard drive geometry translation options available?

Currently, it is configured to "Auto Detected". Other available options are "Standard CHS" (for drives with fewer than 1024 cylinders), "Extended CHS" (for drives with more than 1024 cylinders), and "Logical Block" (LBA). The BIOS does not show what selection it actually performs when I choose auto detected. Since LBA is supported, I could try forcing the BIOS to use it as this is the latest IDE translation mode it supports.

Jepael wrote:

One possibility is that the BIOS uses 256 heads and DOS does not work with it and later BIOSes used up to 255 heads only to work around this.

But based on the 8025 MB size, it uses 1023 cylinders, 255 heads and 63 sectors. Which is a bit odd, since it should go up to 1024 cylinders, totaling some 8032 MB, but not alarming as many implementations adjust the cylinder count to one less than it should be.

If you enter the parameters manually, it may think you want to use those parameters with the drive directly, but it won't work as ATA protocol supports only up to 16 heads (but 16k cylinders), so it then forgets about the geometry translation and uses 1024 cylinder limit, 16 head limit and 63 sector limit so you only get 504 MB.

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting indeed. When I have some time within the next few days I'll try to manually configure it using the 1023/255/63 setting to see how that gets interpreted. When I first configured it manually, I used the 16 heads and 63 sectors variant.

END OF LINE.