VOGONS

First post, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found it while i was cleaning my old room. Another strange device made in France.

vbM3MnDl.jpgnUeQI81l.jpg
0AbIv2jl.jpgtr4q1yfl.jpg

Others closed-up pics here.

I'll put some audio examples later, can't find the right ac plug for this old baby.

TLDR: Probably a 4 ops FM synth with some pcm samples. 96 sounds and 3 drumkits, 32 Multis. All are stored in eeprom, CR232 soldered battery. PCB show 16 June 1989. Can't find any information about the big square chip. 4 demos songs.

Edit from 2020: 2 models from Dream France were produced in 1989: the SAM XP and XR. Priced at 4000fr and 2000fr respectively (650$ and 350$). I still don't know the differences between the 2 models.

Attachments

• Filename
    Dream SAM XR - Demo 01.mp3
    File size
    2.55 MiB
    Downloads
    11 downloads
    File comment
    1st internal demo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Dream SAM XR - Demo 02.mp3
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Downloads
    12 downloads
    File comment
    2nd internal demo
    File license
Last edited by DjLc on 2020-03-11, 07:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never seen or heard of one of these before so I did some research about it (seems the majority of sites with information about it are in French, so I had to use Google's crude translator then reconstruct the information into English as close as possible). It is an external synthesis expansion module and was released in September 1989 with a then price of around 2000 French Francs.

To amend further to what the OP already posted, the Dream Sam XR provides 4 operators FM and 28 PCM samples for drums (16 bit / 44 kHz) has 3 percussion sets along with 96 Patches (sounds), 32 Multipatch (including 4 presets), 28 user patches, 16 channel polyphonic with 3 mono modes and 8 multi-timbral sounds.

There is a possibility that it was pretty much obsolete within under 6 months of release due to how fast synthesis sound was evolving in that era.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 3 of 4, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Necro-Edit:
I've finally got this unit working again 4 years later ! I've updated the 1st post with updated pictures and music demos.

Attachments

• Filename
    Dream SAM XR - Demo 02.mp3
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Downloads
    10 downloads
    File comment
    2nd internal demo
    File license
  • Filename
    Dream SAM XR - Demo 01.mp3
    File size
    2.55 MiB
    Downloads
    10 downloads
    File comment
    1rst internal demo
    File license

Reply 4 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dream is well known for building wave-synthesizer chips and similar stuff, and that is a MIDI module, not a soundcard. I don't see how this is "strange". Well, apart from the fact that it predates General MIDI.