VOGONS

First post, by xstraski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I have Zida 5DXP REV 3.0 motherboard. It was working OK a year ago.
Yesterday I've decided to build a PC with this motherboard, but have met the problem: COM mouse not working.
If I connect the mouse, AMI BIOS GUI setup shows a cursor with "floating stick" (actually, cursor icon is just plain cursor with static stick when mouse is working), and MS mouse driver for DOS says "Mouse is not present"
If I unplug the mouse, BIOS GUI setup shows no cursor (reason is obvious).
So I see the controller is not dead, it sees the mouse, but for some reason doesn't "talk" with it. A year ago everything was fine. I've tested several mouses, these mouses work on other PCs, and one of these was working with Zida a year ago. COM ports are enabled in BIOS. Your ideas?

Reply 2 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IRQ conflict? Try COM2/IRQ3.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the wiring for that rs232 port alright ?
You know, some i/o cards do use a small header to connect to a cable w/ db9 plug.
Sometimes its pinout is non-standard or you have to flip the plug to make it work.
Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining things, I'm afraid. 😅

I've attached a picture for you.

Attachments

• com.jpg
    Filename
    com.jpg
    File size
    35.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I ran into a similar problem a while back on a 486 board...

Basically the COM port was wired in such a way that the DB-9 connector was wrong.

I've found that it can either be:

or

I think...

I could be totally wrong though.

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Me, too. I've got an old internet box which is wired weird.. 😕
1=1,2=2,3=3,..

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by xstraski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+12V and -12V are good from the power supply. I've tried 3 different power supplies.
Motherboard-to-D9 adapter is connected properly, I've tested already both "positions" (with red line on the left and on the right).
Pinouts are pretty standard according to the manual, http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Zida/ma … xp/5dxp0310.pdf
Changing from COM A to COM B does nothing.

Reply 8 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xstraski wrote:

Motherboard-to-D9 adapter is connected properly, I've tested already both "positions" (with red line on the left and on the right).

Yes, but is the adapter the same it worked with the last time you tried it, or different adapter which might have incompatible pinout?

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

> Pinouts are pretty standard according to the manual

There is no standard.

Absolutely. Thankfully the RS232 is very though when it comes to short-circuits (at least in comparison to LPTs)!
So I guess we can only talk about pseudo standard pinouts at best. Sometimes they match, sometimes they don't.
- I once had a modern serial port plate/bracket by Asus that worked in one of my old multi-i/o cards..

//My video channel//