VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone

I'm having a problem with carmageddon. It doesn't really work when my SLI is activated. In fact, when I activate the sli and start carmageddon, the game starts, but in the regular mode 😮

When I stop the game, here is what the dos prompt says :
1477734550-carmaerror.png

The strangest thing is that everything is fine when only one card is used (so SLI desactivated)
I installed the 3dfx patch just as it should (install the regular 3Dfx patch and then add VOODOO2C.exe, right ?)

It is said here that this game works with SLI though

My version of the game is the french version, it's just like the regular version, but in french language (I don't think that any downgraded version was released here)

Last edited by Deksor on 2016-10-29, 17:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, every other games are working with that SLI. There is just POD that doesn't want to work properly with or without the SLI, but this is another problem and I already made a thread for that.

But half life, unreal, unreal tournament, tomb raider, etc are working with that SLI

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea ? 🙁 I'd like to see how the game performs with the SLI 🙁

Reply 6 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe the reason could be that you are using the french version. I have a slight recall that the german version had similar issues which was never addressed. Try with the US/UK version, that is what I used.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay so I tried both solutions : DOS32a displays the exact same error and the game doesn't start at all
The UK version doesn't make any difference too, same problem (the game starts up, but in software mode instead of 3Dfx mode and when I quit the game it displays that error message). In my opinion, the french version of the game has no difference in between the UK version that have real pedestrians except some visual differences for text and sound for speech, the rest is the exact same game (and probably the same code), only the data files are modified here I guess. The german had robots instead of pedestrians, correct ? The french version always have been the unaltered game

Reply 8 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

Okay so I tried both solutions : DOS32a displays the exact same error and the game doesn't start at all

Um, if DOS32a gave you "the exact same error" about DOS4GW, then you're not using it correctly.

Reply 9 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I did is renaming dos32a as dos4gw. What should I do instead ?

Reply 11 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I did try that at the first time, but it said that it couldn't opent voodoo2c.exe ...

Reply 12 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same issue and fixed it by downloading the latest 3dfx patch. I found it on google. I think the original voodoo patch only runs on the voodoo 1 and rush, but I'm not sure.

Reply 13 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But this patch IS the latest 3Dfx patch. There is a patch for voodoo 1 that was sometime shipped with the game, and another one made for voodoo 2 right ? Or is there a third one ?

Reply 14 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

voodoo2c.exe looks like the patch that shipped with the game. I remember launching the game either with carmav.exe or 3dfx.exe. Have a look here: Alternative Carmageddon 3dfx patch

I presume you did copy the glide2x.dll and glide.ovl files from the voodoo 2 driver you installed to your game directory, replacing the ones already there?

Reply 15 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did not copy any glide file in there. And carmav.exe actually came with my game (and don't work with my voodoo 2)

Reply 16 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

then copy glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl from the directory containing the voodoo 2 driver you installed to the game directory, then try running the game again. Carmageddon and Splat Pack work fine on my K6-III rig and I'm using 2x voodoo 2 in SLi as well. No issues whatsoever.

Reply 17 of 23, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still doesn't work. I tried either with voodoo2C.exe and carmav.exe just to make sure.

The only thing that I didn't mention is that I'm using the Fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers and that my SLI is mismatched (one creative and one metabyte wicked 3D. However, the wicked3D was MADE to make mismatched SLIs in the first place). But since everything else works, I'm not sure if this could be a problem or not

Reply 18 of 23, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Still doesn't work. I tried either with voodoo2C.exe and carmav.exe just to make sure.

The only thing that I didn't mention is that I'm using the Fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers and that my SLI is mismatched (one creative and one metabyte wicked 3D. However, the wicked3D was MADE to make mismatched SLIs in the first place). But since everything else works, I'm not sure if this could be a problem or not

I see. Well I don't think I can help you then. I've had no luck getting games to work with mismatched cards. I can give a final recomandation - don't use Fastvoodoo drivers - use the latest 3dfx non-beta driver. Fastvoodoo can cause compatibility issues sometimes.

Reply 19 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS games have no support with mismatched cards even for the fastvoodoo drivers, that is only for Windows.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes